Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How heavy are the front rotors ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had carbon ceramic brakes on my last few vehicles, I wish Tesla offered them on the Model S. They stopped much faster than traditional rotors and there is no brake dust to ever worry about. Win-win. They are quite expensive tho, I think they were in the $10k range as an option.

I realize that you'll have great weight savings as compared to stock brakes, but is it possible to have the new rotors made out of carbon ceramic compound?

Of course it is possible. Since it is a 2-pc you can put whatever you like as a ring. That said, if you are truly interested in ceramics, I have an account with a company that provides ceramic rotors to a Formula 1 team and I can ask for a quote but it is not for the faint heart. That said, yes no brake dust, last the life time of the car, and awesome break bite in cold or hot temperatures. Maybe some break squeak here and there.

The mod bug has bit me on every other car I've purchased. I've put $$$$'s in my previous cars. I like this one's appearance so far, we will see once I take delivery. Feel free to shoot me a PM, as I mentioned my last car had them and it was a $10k options IIRC.

The mod bug has bit me on every other car I've purchased. I've put $$$$'s in my previous cars. I like this one's appearance so far, we will see once I take delivery. Feel free to shoot me a PM, as I mentioned my last car had them and it was a $10k options IIRC.

I understand where you are coming from. I have driven several Porsche's with them on, they are fantastic. I will reach out once i confirm the hats are made to the final revision.

Well thanks for reaching out. There's no way I'd pay $900 for a pair of rotors. I've retrofitted performance parts for less on half a dozen track cars. You're overpriced.
One-off parts are not cheap. There is a huge price difference in performance parts for mass market enthusiast cars, and a custom made part for a car that has absolutely no aftermarket and has only been in production for a year.

One-off parts are not cheap. There is a huge price difference in performance parts for mass market enthusiast cars, and a custom made part for a car that has absolutely no aftermarket and has only been in production for a year.

Correct. Seems like you understand one of the basic principles of economics. That said I'm not sure which cars he is looking at that the cost is $450 and includes a front set of directional rotors + hardware + hat + hard anodizing ( to match my p85 wheels) + shipped + taxes. I asked him and he could not point one out.

On a final note, i don't really care to bring them to market. There are several parts I make for my cars, and some people want them. I'm not sure why he is so upset.
My goal with this project is to increase the distance I can travel on 1 electric charge. If it can net me ~15 miles more per charge. I'll be very happy. ( that is with reducing 10lbsx2 each front rotor and 10lbsx2 in the rear for each corner as well. combine of 40lbs total)

Last edited:
Well thanks for reaching out. There's no way I'd pay $900 for a pair of rotors. I've retrofitted performance parts for less on half a dozen track cars. You're overpriced.

Pinto's don't count... :)

You'd be hard pressed finding high quality performance rotors for BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc for less than $400-500 each.

That's what you compare against, not GM and Nissan.

Actually most aftermarket parts are fairly low quantity. I'm in the manufacturing business and I can tell you a pair of custom rotors shouldn't cost you $900

Actually most aftermarket parts are fairly low quantity. I'm in the manufacturing business and I can tell you a pair of custom rotors shouldn't cost you $900

You can always make them yourself...

As I said, it all depends what you frame of reference is.

Would you care to name the cars you drive and have outfitted?

Here is a perfect example: you can get test pipes for Nissans, Hondas, Mazda, etc for about $80 a pair.

Go and report back what the same would cost for a Porsche or Maserati.

Also, nobody sells at cost. You being in the manufacturing business knows that.

You sell it for what the market bears.

If you think you can make them cheaper I will gladly take a look and compare.

But until you actually have something I believe your criticism is premature and misplaced.

Correct. Seems like you understand one of the basic principles of economics. That said I'm not sure which cars he is looking at that the cost is $450 and includes a front set of directional rotors + hardware + hat + hard anodizing ( to match my p85 wheels) + shipped + taxes. I asked him and he could not point one out.

On a final note, i don't really care to bring them to market. There are several parts I make for my cars, and some people want them. I'm not sure why he is so upset.
My goal with this project is to increase the distance I can travel on 1 electric charge. If it can net me ~15 miles more per charge. I'll be very happy. ( that is with reducing 10lbsx2 each front rotor and 10lbsx2 in the rear for each corner as well. combine of 40lbs total)
I think that you might be able to get decent parts for that price(nowhere near the quality of what you had made), but it would be for enthusiast cars with a large following. Fox body Mustangs come to mind.

Either way, good racing parts are expensive, and buying junk parts over and over again, never saves anybody money(even though it seems much cheaper at first).

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good opportunity to start making and selling aftermarket Model S parts at great prices! :)

I think that you might be able to get decent parts for that price(nowhere near the quality of what you had made), but it would be for enthusiast cars with a large following. Fox body Mustangs come to mind.

Either way, good racing parts are expensive, and buying junk parts over and over again, never saves anybody money(even though it seems much cheaper at first).

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good opportunity to start making and selling aftermarket Model S parts at great prices! :)

What I was referring to was the "law of demand" principle.
Demand is low for this product because the Model S is very low production vehicle relative to a Mustang, even much lower demand for aftermarket.

That said, I wouldn't want anything shorter then top quality on my cars. The Tesla excels in this area so why botch it ?

I don't think 4sevens realizes the cost to make the hat and anodize it here in California, for such low quantity order. I also don't work for free.
(black anodize like his products aka (soft anodizing type II) is much cheaper to do then hard anodizing type III like on my hat)

- - - Updated - - -

Sure...
2011 M3
2009 GT-R
1999 mx-5 (ls6 engine swap)
2007 wrx sti

My point being is 900 for two friction rings is way over the top.

Can you please point me to the 2011 M3 / 2009 GT-R front set 2-pc rotors can be had far less then $900.

^ Not THAT expensive I assure you. precision aluminum machining is pretty common. type 3 anodizing is a little bit more... two digits, not three digits.

The Tesla wheel PCD is the same as BMW's only the offset is different - it's not hard to source a different offset hats.

If the the big name companies can sell them cheaper, give profit margin to their distribution channels AND make a profit for their company then there is tons of room to spare.
Besides with brakes I'd rather trust a known brake manufacturer than someone doing it as a side hobby making huge profit margins at the risk of consumer safety.

Aftermarket brake manufacturers spend tons of money developing product, testing and staffing post sale support all with a roof over their heads. I'd like someone to look at the exact design you're planning to implement for stopping a 4700lbs car.

May I ask how many aftermarket brake rotors have you designed, implemented and marketed before?

Better yet, since this is an open enthusiast based forum where ideas are shared like family - what is your cost of the rotors? Would you be ashamed to publish it? Of course nobody expects you to do it for free. I'd never ask a company to publish their costs, but you come in this enthusiast forum "as an enthusiast" well some forthrightness with your background and history of manufacturing would help. If you dare, show us your costs. That would further rally support for your project.

-D

^ Not THAT expensive I assure you. precision aluminum machining is pretty common. type 3 anodizing is a little bit more... two digits, not three digits.

The Tesla wheel PCD is the same as BMW's only the offset is different - it's not hard to source a different offset hats.

If the the big name companies can sell them cheaper, give profit margin to their distribution channels AND make a profit for their company then there is tons of room to spare.
Besides with brakes I'd rather trust a known brake manufacturer than someone doing it as a side hobby making huge profit margins at the risk of consumer safety.

Aftermarket brake manufacturers spend tons of money developing product, testing and staffing post sale support all with a roof over their heads. I'd like someone to look at the exact design you're planning to implement for stopping a 4700lbs car.

May I ask how many aftermarket brake rotors have you designed, implemented and marketed before?

Better yet, since this is an open enthusiast based forum where ideas are shared like family - what is your cost of the rotors? Would you be ashamed to publish it? Of course nobody expects you to do it for free. I'd never ask a company to publish their costs, but you come in this enthusiast forum "as an enthusiast" well some forthrightness with your background and history of manufacturing would help. If you dare, show us your costs. That would further rally support for your project.

-D

Way over the top...

I must have missed your post when you drilled the center console guy.

Didn't see you demanding that he share his raw material and manufacturing cost.
Or his experience in designing center consoles.

First you claim it's too expensive and too easy to make.

Now you've done a 180 and claim its too complicated and better left to "the big guys".

Make up your mind :)

BTW, what kind of manufacturing are you in?

PS: where do I buy those cheap high quality rotors for my M3. Please send us the link.
Thanks.