Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is pano roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I initially started looking at the Model S, I thought would have preferred no pano roof... but after test driving both... I feel that without it the Model S is a far too enclosed/confining/claustrophobia-inducing. Now your milage my vary... I'm 6'2" with a lot of my height in my torso... I could fit upfront just barely without the pano roof... I couldn't even begin to sit in the back... I ended up ordering the pano roof.

Reactions: Chopr147
I have had several cars with panoramic roofs. None of them have caused problems. Similarly the one on my S is fine. I like them for the openness and spaciousness, and for the odd times when I want a semi-convertible feeling. I have had them on cars that lived in a ski resort (Park City) and never had an issue with the cold. Frankly I would not be without one if I have a choice, unless the car is a convertible anyway.

Reactions: Nevek
My wife voted no on her refreshed S 70 delivered in June. I will vote yes on my red P90D next summer. I have had a number of convertibles and miss them. Although the Pano roof hurts the outside appearance of the car (IMHO), it makes the car feel more open inside. Additional head room is not an issue since we are all under 6'.
Obviously not a conveertible but that pano roof opens very wide. Much wider than any moonroof I have had in the past
My wife's Lexus has the pano roof but it does not open any wider than others

While I've only had our CPO car for a month, I would say the pano roof does an amazingly good job at blocking heat, BUT there is a limit here. Sub mid to high 90s, it seems OK, but above that I think the Model S' AC could generally use some help and the pano roof is definitely starting to show its weakness. An additional light ceramic tint might help, but the regular roof also has the somewhat insulating headliner over it which you won't get with a tint. Indeed, it may simply be the reduction in radiated heat that a headliner provides which is more material here. Heck, just touch the headliner in front of the glass and then touch the glass itself...big difference in temp.

If you park in a covered area wher the car never had a chance to heat soak, none of this may make a big difference, but if you are unfortunate enough to have your car sit in the Texas sun for hours at a time at 100+ degree temps, evety little bit helps...and, of course, that's where preconditioning helps enormously...if you remember to do it!

Finally, I've had the windows tinted on a number of cars over the years, but have often wondered if tinting the windshield wouldn't be better than tinting every other window...especially when driving into the afternoon sun. There are legality concerns and you can get some interior reflectivity issues too (depending on the car) so YMMV.

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Another data point....

For over 20+ years with a whole string of Lexus vehicles, all with sunroofs, we essentially never opened them. When it came time for me to order my 2013 S85 (multi-coat red with black leather seats but the original standard tan fabric headliner), I specifically did not want the pano roof. Don't miss it at all. I actually like the uninterrupted span of the red roof.

When it came time to order my wife's 2015 S70D 'triple black' (Obsidian paint, black alcantara headliner, black leather) we were concerned about the cabin feeling cramped, so her S has the pano roof. Adds airiness and room--more an esthetic value than ventilation. Never opened in over 1 year of ownership.

YMMV.

The extra head room is not that big of a deal in front (the seats can be lowered), but it is very important for rear seat passengers. I highly recommend sitting in the back of a Model S with and without a pano roof before making a decision.

I did not have the Pano on my first Model S 85 since I don't like the noise, and they were $2500 extra back then. It was ok back then, but my son grew several inches since then. When I was upgrading to the 90D, I had him sit in back of both confirmations and it was no comparison. His head actually touches the roof on the non pano, and he had plenty of room with the pano. He's probably not even done growing yet (he is still until 6 ft).

One other point that I don't think was mentioned here, or not much -- cold. If you live in the snow belt, the glass roof also lets in cold. For some people, that may be more of an issue than heat. That was Bjorn Nyland's concern, and why he installed semi-permanent insulation on his Model S pano roof glass. But he is in Norway and may encounter more cold than many of us (plus he sometimes slept in his Model S so heat loss at night was a concern). (You can look for his YouTube videos for discussion of this topic on one or more of his early videos.)
In my own experience with just one winter in the Boston area, the pano roof itself does get cold, and it is noticeable on short trips. But heat rises, so as the cabin warms up, it becomes less of an issue for comfort. (Frankly I had more trouble keeping my feet warm than keeping my head warm.)

Reactions: Chopr147
Sounds like this is a must-have accessory :cool:

upload_2016-9-3_11-12-40.png

Sounds like this is a must-have accessory :cool:

View attachment 192930
I have them. I wouldn't say they were a "must have" accessory, but they reduce the light when the pano is open and they keep out bugs when sleeping in the car. For $150, it's a why not, can't hurt. The hatch sunshade is great for reducing the glare from misaligned headlights from the vehicle behind you. It's more of a "must have" than the overhead ones.

Before purchasing the car I thought I may also buy these. I have had "the Pope" only a little over 2 weeks but it is August with 90+ temps. the first week of ownership. IMHO No need for the sunshades. Keeps the heat out and the glare. As far as the cold well, I guess i'll have to get back to that after this winter :)

I was initially conflicted about ordering the Pano roof. I usually don't care much for sunroofs, and thought the same would be the case for the Model S. However, once I drove one with the roof I wanted it, and I'm very glad I have the Pano. I'm in NY, and have had no issues with heat (can't speak for the southern climate experience obviously). My kids love it, and it makes driving home from work fun. Even my wife, who hates the sunroof in her car and always keeps the shade closed, likes it in my S......my 2 cents.

No pano vote.

-Less heat (they sell the pano sunshade to "reduce 2/3rds of the thermal load")
-Less noise
-More sophisticated and less sporty appearance
-Save $1500 & instead buy your wife a niece piece of Tiffany's jewelry :)

- heat is not an issue with a pano roof - 2/3rds of a small amount doesn't make much difference
- noise is not an issue unless you open it - then of course there's wind noise
- that depends on one's taste - to me, it looks more sophisticated with pano
- why not both?

Reactions: Joelc
Lol, OP, you forgot to specify, "important to whom". As you can see from the thread so far, some people love it, some hate it, some don't care. The only one who can tell you how important it is to you is YOU. Same goes for every other option, AWD, P, Premium, etc, etc... That is why they are options.

In case you are keeping track of the popular vote, I'm in the no-pano for me camp. For others? Whatever they like.

Reactions: Canuck
noise is not an issue unless you open it - then of course there's wind noise

Every time I had a loaner, when I started driving I was looking around thinking one of my kids left a window cracked open. Then I'd realize, oh yea, this car has a pano. Is there a difference in noise level? Yes. Whether it is an issue or not, that depends for whom. To me, after few minutes of driving it stops being noticable, so not a big issue, but I still prefer no pano for this and other reasons.