Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is 10.3.1 compared to 10.3 ?

How would you compare 10.3.1 to your experience with 10.2 ?

• 10.3.1 is much better

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 10.3.1 is somewhat better

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • They are about the same

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 10.3.1 is somewhat worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10.3.1 is much worse

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confusing! What is this title comparing?

My understanding is both 10.2 and 10.3.1 work like a beta with imperfections but manageable.

On the other hand, 10.3 was recalled in just hours because it worked like a pre-Alpha which makes a simple drive very unmanageable.

So when this title compares a beta-quality 10.3.1 against pre-Alpha quality 10.3, that's not just logical.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I was in the original 100 (safety score) crowd so I had 10.2 for about 3 weeks…. Thus far, 10.3.1 seems to be better for my area. 10.2 was fine with the city streets but it was not very reliable on the country back roads that I frequently drive. 10.2 was constantly phantom braking….. I basically stopped using it if there was someone behind me. 10.3.1 seems much better thus far….

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and nvx1977
Need to get the thread title edited. I was confused since 10.3 and 10.3.1 are the same code sans a couple of bug being squished.

For 10.3 over 10.2 I'm trying to decide Much Better and Somewhat Better. It is definitely an improvement but don't want to go full on Fanboy when there is so much left to improve. Probably go with Somewhat Better.

Reactions: nvx1977
I had low hopes for 10.3 given what we had seen in v8 and v9 point releases. I was following several FSD beta YT channels closely and it always seemed inconclusive whether there was actually an improvement or if the system just got lucky. So I was expecting 10.3 to be the same experience as 10.2. But it is better in two ways based on my observations:

1) steering wheel jitter during turns is much improved
2) car is reacting to brake and turn signal lights (slowing down earlier than when just relying on lead car distance)

This seems in line with what was stated in the release notes. I hope each version gives us the same level of detail in the release notes as 10.3.

Reactions: Koolio46
I can't tell any difference. They both make very stupid navigational choices and are very jerky and awkward. For instance coming to my work's street from a 4 lane with center left turn lanes main street, you need to make a protected left turn. From about 2 miles away the car wants to get in the right lane and stay there, while in heavy traffic. The car gets right near the intersection and then no one will let me over in the left (and then left turn lane) to make the left turn. I make this maneuver twice daily and just drive it myself. I'll try again on future FSD revisions. Several more instances, but thats the most annoying

I'm definitely enthusiastic about FSD, but since having it last Thursday, it is a bit disappointing. I know its beta and a work in progress. The FSD beta vids I watched so many of do show some screwups, but they don't seem as severe or prolific as I see. My car has infact tried to kill me 3 times since Thur.

Last edited:
Reactions: wtwieder
I can't tell any difference. They both make very stupid navigational choices and are very jerky and awkward. For instance coming to my work's street from a 4 lane with center left turn lanes main street, you need to make a protected left turn. From about 2 miles away the car wants to get in the right lane and stay there, while in heavy traffic. The car gets right near the intersection and then no one will let me over in the left (and then left turn lane) to make the left turn. I make this maneuver twice daily and just drive it myself. I'll try again on future FSD revisions. Several more instances, but thats the most annoying

I'm definitely enthusiastic about FSD, but since having it last Thursday, it is a bit disappointing. I know its beta and a work in progress. The FSD beta vids I watched so many of do show some screwups, but they don't seem as severe or prolific as I see. My car has infact tried to kill me 3 times since Thur.
I 100% have the same experience. Been watching YouTube videos on FSD Beta for months and thought I had a good grasp on what to expect. Boy was I wrong!

Reactions: BobDolesGhost
I 100% have the same experience. Been watching YouTube videos on FSD Beta for months and thought I had a good grasp on what to expect. Boy was I wrong!
I think its probably a pretty common feeling. Hopefully our Beta testing will improve FSD, even if its slow. Go go Tesla FSD Jedi Team!

I'm a firmware engineer myself and enjoy trying to figure what the guts of this thing is doing as well :)

I have yet to drive 10.3.1. May try it once, but I’m waiting for v11. v10.2 was hard on my steering linkages, brakes, and nerves. YMMV. Was a fun parlor trick, but the bloom quickly left the rose 🥀
I've started using FSD Beta like I used AP before. For long straight stretches + FSD will handle stop lights / traffic lights.

If only they got rid of FSD trying to turn arbitrarily right / left, it would be great.

To me 10.3 is much better, it’s all subjective. But the boost is more natural, as well as some turns. 10.3 still doesn’t squeeze by cars to make unprotected rights and sometimes doesn’t even get into a dedicated right turn lane… same old lane semantic issues.

The progress from 10.2 to 10.3 makes me feel is that fsd can be solved with the current approach.

Reactions: Ruffles
this could have been my word-for-word desc for 10.2 as well.

10.3 has more freak out stops when pedestrians are around. I’ve had it stop well before the crosswalk line when any pedestrians are around lol

I’ve noticed that 10.3 puts a smile on my face more though, sometimes when it turns or stops and goes naturally.

An interesting edge case I encountered at night was an unprotected right where the left view was blocked by parked cars, but I could see an oncoming car by its headlights moving but not see the car itself. I didn’t let 10.3 make a decision here, just disengaged.

10.3 vs. 10.2 for me has been about the same. I only have a couple drives with 10.3 so far (due to the bug that is now fixed in 10.3.1) but the differences with the most common issues for me have been minimal - staying too far left on unmarked wide roads, stopping too short of intersections with/without pedestrians, and creeping too slowly either up to the intersection or through it once it has decided to go. Actually funny story, I almost got cut off at a 4-way stop sign by a waymo which was getting impatient waiting for my car to go lol

Last edited: