Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is passing performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it. So passing performance is not an issue, it will feel different but perform as well.

Thanks everyone

Now I have to wait to get closer to end of lease in Aug....time to move to Model 3 from BMW.....
Your car BMW 340i 50-70mph 2.9s
My car AWD 50-70 mph 1.9s (pre performance boost, so maybe 1.8s now)

Sounds like you have a passing performance issue NOW :D and will be leaving it behind (figuratively & literally) when you move to a Model 3 :eek:.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Also here is a video to highlight how fast passing is. While it is a Performance the AWD is about the same after 60mph. Scroll to 2:45 (if you don't want to cry about how bad it beat the M3 in the quarter mile;)) and the rolling race starts. Keep in mind it took to 130mph for the M3 to pass which is beyond what you need.

Lol. You are so right!!

How do you all like the handling on twisty roads?
Low center of gravity makes it VERY neutral/natural with very little body roll. Feels like it is on rails. Also here is some Dragy times from a couple 0-60 runs I did yesterday day (3.73s/3.48s 1').

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 7.07.47 AM.png

IMG_3254.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Got it. So passing performance is not an issue, it will feel different but perform as well.

Thanks everyone

Now I have to wait to get closer to end of lease in Aug....time to move to Model 3 from BMW.

Just wish they had a HUD
60-90 mph in a Performance or AWD is faster than the 340. It’s not even close. 90 and beyond is where the 340 is about even. And 110 and after I’d give it to the 340. 60-90 has GREAT pull

Here's a datalog from wugz on reddit that compares the power outputs of the LR AWD, AWD w/accel boost, and Performance, from 0-100 MPH. The Performance's advantage is from 0-75 MPH, and it goes to parity with all three as you approach 100 MPH.

At 100 MPH, all AWD Model 3's make about 429 HP, over 100 HP more than the BMW 340i. At that speed, the vehicle weight delta matters very little, it's aero drag and power that are primary factors. The Performance makes 576 HP between 43 and 56 MPH.

AWDplus_P_comparo.png

I hope that helps.

I know the Model 3 has incredible off the line acceleration.

I wonder how the passing performance is? I currently own a 2018 BMW 340i. The power at passing speeds 60-90 is impressive.

How would the Model 3 perform? Compare?

TIA

A model 3 AWD or Performance will feel faster and is faster than your current car from 60-90 as well as all speeds below.
So no worries at all.

Per Car And Driver, here are some measured 50-70 times:

2019 Model 3 LR AWD: 1.9
2020 BMW M340i: 2.9
2019 BMW M5 Competition: 2.4
2016 BMW M3 DCT Competition: 2.8
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: 3.0
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S: 2.6
2018 McLaren 720S: 2.7

I was actually not able to find any car (aside from faster Teslas) with a faster 50-70 time. And this isn’t even the fast Model 3!

To be fair the way they test these puts the ICE cars at a disadvantage. Real world driving would be closer than this indicates.

To be fair the way they test these puts the ICE cars at a disadvantage. Real world driving would be closer than this indicates.
Actually it is closer real world. You don't drive around in manual mode in a low gear all prepared to accelerate at an instants notice when you need to pass. You drive in auto and must wait on the slush to down gear before it starts to accelerate.

Actually it is closer real world. You don't drive around in manual mode in a low gear all prepared to accelerate at an instants notice when you need to pass. You drive in auto and must wait on the slush to down gear before it starts to accelerate.

I think it depends.
1.) The test is done in comfort driving modes typically which may not be standard for many drivers that care about performance.
2.) Certain times you may be caught off guard driving conservatively and all of sudden need to accelerate, in that case yes the numbers reflect real world.
Other times you are driving more aggressively and want to continue that behavior as you accelerate again ; that is where the tested numbers do not reflect real world.

The obvious nice thing about electric is it doesn't matter the numbers are the same regardless of situation ; unless of course you are in Chill mode.

Per Car And Driver, here are some measured 50-70 times:

2019 Model 3 LR AWD: 1.9
2020 BMW M340i: 2.9
2019 BMW M5 Competition: 2.4
2016 BMW M3 DCT Competition: 2.8
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: 3.0
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S: 2.6
2018 McLaren 720S: 2.7

I was actually not able to find any car (aside from faster Teslas) with a faster 50-70 time

There aren't any. Using the car mag passing speed test (the ICE car has to downshift as part of his elapsed time) they're all slow in comparison.

Shifting is slow

Ditto 30-50 times, 30-70 times, etc... I posted a whole thing about it a while back.

quickest 50-70 I could find anywhere was a $350,000 Porsche 911 GT2 RS at 2 seconds flat.
Source on that # here-

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/f...rmance-data-and-complete-specs-1532365631.pdf

The AWD 3 beats that obviously- though it was "only" 2.06 originally the two 5% bumps have dropped it below 2 as you list.... (not sure if I've seen a 50-70 on an AWD+ yet.... anybody got one?)

You know, I drove a car with an HUD yesterday (Jaguar i-Pace) and I have to say that I found it very distracting. I've previously owned cars with HUDs, but I don't miss those HUDs at all.

Back probably 5 years ago when I did some car shopping I test drove several HUD cars, expecting to LOVE the feature... instead I too found it distracting and it actually gave me a headache after a while.

You know, I drove a car with an HUD yesterday (Jaguar i-Pace) and I have to say that I found it very distracting. I've previously owned cars with HUDs, but I don't miss those HUDs at all.
My Chevy SS has it and I LOVE it. I like not having to look down to see my current speed and I can keep my eyes up and pay attention on the road.

Here's a datalog from wugz on reddit that compares the power outputs of the LR AWD, AWD w/accel boost, and Performance, from 0-100 MPH. The Performance's advantage is from 0-75 MPH, and it goes to parity with all three as you approach 100 MPH.

At 100 MPH, all AWD Model 3's make about 429 HP, over 100 HP more than the BMW 340i. At that speed, the vehicle weight delta matters very little, it's aero drag and power that are primary factors. The Performance makes 576 HP between 43 and 56 MPH.

View attachment 508136

I hope that helps.

There's another consideration. Everybody's aware that we don't have Transmissions, so there's no kickdown and no delay, but the direct drive has other advantages namely the minimizing of parasitic losses. Those are particularly great in cars that have to do the awkward 90-degree torque translation involved in a driveshaft. That roughly doubles or in some cases (all wheel drive trannies) triples parasitic losses relative to direct drive. This means that we are getting much closer to our rated horsepower at the wheel than virtually any rear wheel drive and especially any all wheel drive internal combustion car. Parasitic losses in all-wheel drive cars can be as much as 15 to 18% or more of total horsepower.