Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your drive today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove through snow about 6-8 inches deep last night for a bit just to see. Traction control was flashing, was going about 30km/h. Car handled fine, just went straight through. First part of it was on an incline (couldn't really accelerate much but car didn't seem to slow down either), after it flattened out traction was better and car could accelerate.
(AWD, Tesla winter tire package).

Got RWD with 18” Winter tire package. Drive is good, but when going uphill or accelerating from complete stop with decent amount of snow it takes a bit to get going because it cuts power when it detects a slip. Also, when you put slip start on the rear end goes slidding like it’s on soap but TC kicks in as soon as you slide a bit too much. It’s managable though

However, what I have a problem with is the stupid wipers. They ALWAYS have ice frozen onto them so wiping is essentially useless. Even when I get out and clear the ice there’s more frozen onto it within like 5 minutes of driving.

From facebook and reddit this seems like a common problem.

I have the problem if I don't clear the windshield+wipers after I leave the car outside. But afterwords I don't seem to get the problem with new ice forming, though I have to use antifreeze often enough, so that might help. (for reference, climate at 20C, vent position at whatever the default was when I got the car, though might have to adjust as driver side window seems to fog up sometimes).

Some room temp cold water from the tap got the ice off quickly. Now for the front grill vents :confused:

Attachments

• 20190128_211828.jpg
    20190128_211828.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190128_211916.jpg
    20190128_211916.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 28
Didn't go out much yesterday, but this morning my street wasn't plowed since the snow started yesterday (and still isn't :mad:), so there's 6+ inches of ground up mess out there at the moment. I was a bit unsure initially, but then some dude in a Honda Fit went by (with snow up to the bottom of the door frame) so I figured I'd be fine.

The RWD with the 18" Winter package handled it well, I just had to take it slow and let the traction control do its thing. I got bogged down when I first pulled out of the driveway but just backed up a bit and then went forward without issue. Keep in mind this is a totally unplowed side street, so it's definitely messy and much worse than you find on the bigger roads. I figured if the Model 3 can handle that, it can handle most of what the GTA will throw at it.

There were a couple of cars stuck on the way out of my neighborhood, including an Amazon driver who was stuck waiting for a nearby house to dig him out with a snowblower. I stopped to offer help and it turned out he's a Tesla fan, and he was very excited to see the Model 3 churning it's way slowly to the cleared streets.

Last edited:
PFFT you think Torontonians are candy ass? Come check out the Vancouver area when we get a couple centimetres or the mercury dips below -5 or so. It’s Armageddon out here; end of the world stuff!!!

Yeah... I had the opportunity to live on the west coast through one winter, many years ago. One evening they had about 4 inches of snow, and the next day was beyond comical.... everything closed, people in ditches everywhere. I laughed my ass off. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus