Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your white interior doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is holding up great, 16000 miles since August 2019. But I don't have kids, just Grand kids and they only ride in the car occasionally. and they are not allowed food or drink. So, My results may not be your results, but hey are easy to clean.

I'm in the market and have a teenager that plays soccer. How is your white interior holding up? Is it easy to clean and maintain?

I have had my P3D with white interior since Dec 18. I have two teenagers. The white seats look brand new. They do clean up easily but they do require weekly cleaning. I wipe them down with an interior cleaner once a week. If I notice any unusual stains, I clean them up right away. Most stains come out with a generic interior cleaner. Once in a while I have to use a dedicated leather cleaner to get out an unusually bad stain. I also protect them with a ceramic-infused spray sealant. Some owners seal their leather with an interor ceramic coating.

If you don't mind cleaning the seats once a week, then get the white interior. If it sounds like too much work and effort, then go for the black.

Almost a year old. 17k miles, have a 6 year old. I wipe the seats down about once every 2-3 months with baby wipes. Everything looks new. Hardest thing to get out is blue dye transfer from jeans on front seat. Kid is no problem.

Absolutely would do again .
ditto - 4yo and 6yo. I did put a protector pad under the carseat/booster to prevent pinching and stress marks, but the seats are holding perfectly like new. Most visible issue is jeans transfer. Baby wipes every so often and i have a degreaser & cleaner i've never used still

Reactions: destructure00
Don't do it. You'll have a lot of people disagree with me, even posting they have the white interior too and have no issues, and that is fine. I listened to the same feedback when I was buying my car and my 9 month old car has suffered from permanent blue dye transfer - I don't even wear jeans!

I love my car and absolutely baby it, take care of it really well, even wash it weekly in the winter. I absolutely regret the white seats and would not do it again. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful but don't believe the group think that it doesn't stain or the silly youtube videos wear people are spilling coffee, wine or ketchup and immediately wiping it off - that is not an abrasive stain, that is a mess.

If you are going to ignore my advice, that is fine, but for the love of all that is holy, ceramic coat the seats.

slightly off topic, but my 2017 S90D with white, perforated/ventilated seats has held up fantastically (looks like new) in 40,000 miles of driving. Granted its mostly just me alone or with spouse but occasional trips with young kids. When they get shmutz on them its been very easy to clean off with a damp rag. Very pleased with the look and durability of the Ultra White Perforated seats.

Don't do it. You'll have a lot of people disagree with me, even posting they have the white interior too and have no issues, and that is fine. I listened to the same feedback when I was buying my car and my 9 month old car has suffered from permanent blue dye transfer - I don't even wear jeans!

I love my car and absolutely baby it, take care of it really well, even wash it weekly in the winter. I absolutely regret the white seats and would not do it again. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful but don't believe the group think that it doesn't stain or the silly youtube videos wear people are spilling coffee, wine or ketchup and immediately wiping it off - that is not an abrasive stain, that is a mess.

If you are going to ignore my advice, that is fine, but for the love of all that is holy, ceramic coat the seats.

Not true at all, I live in Levis. After 16000 miles I have had to clean them a couple of times to remove the little bit of blue, but it comes off easily. I use Sonax Alcantara cleaner. I know there are many threads on cleaning the white seats, but this is what I used. I did put the ceramic on them when new.

Reactions: karmamule
Not true at all, I live in Levis. After 16000 miles I have had to clean them a couple of times to remove the little bit of blue, but it comes off easily. I use Sonax Alcantara cleaner. I know there are many threads on cleaning the white seats, but this is what I used. I did put the ceramic on them when new.
How can you say "not true" when you've never seen my car or my experience or anyone else's who has had dye transfer onto the white seats? Your confirmation bias does not make it a solid fact that you can say "not true". Are you claiming the white does NOT get dye transfer at all? Because that is pure BS. Be careful with your words - it's this type of language that leads people to believe the white seats are impenetrable - they are not. They are risky and claiming they do not stain from dye transfer because you "live in Levi's" and only using your own experience as proof is confirmation bias. There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts that completely disagree with you. Also, never in my post did I say jeans cause dye transfer - in fact, I said the exact opposite, my dye transfer is NOT from jeans, which should concern you more that you are using a myth that it's only blue jeans that cause the transfer.

PS - used the EXACT same cleaner you recommended with zero success. Let me know if you need a pic of proof, I can show you a rack full of cleaning products I've purchased to counter the dye transfer to no avail. I learned my lesson, all my other seats were ceremic coated but the damage is permanent on my drivers seat.

What do you recommend for ceramic leather? I didn't even know you could do this, I have done paint, but not leather. I like Adams, wonder if they have something.

What do you recommend for ceramic leather? I didn't even know you could do this, I have done paint, but not leather. I like Adams, wonder if they have something.
Yep, you can ceramic coat vinyl and leather, you can specifically coat the vinyl on Tesla's. Most common brands are CQuartz and Ceramic Pro.

I cannot stress this enough - if you go white, get this done DAY 1. Seriously - arrange for the car to be driven straight to a shop to get this done or do the CQuartz at home, but I would pay a professional to put on multiple coats of this stuff.

CQuartz Leather & Vinyl 30ml

https://ceramic-pro.com/en/shop/product-line/product/leather/

Here are some videos:

The black has its problems too. Threads on here with black seats with very ugly permanent whitish stains. Numerous owners with black headrests that bubble like they have a skin disease.

If you’re risking it with both white and black interiors, for the love of everything holy, don’t get the horribly boring black interior!

Why would you want to make yourself want to put a loaded gun in your mouth every time you got into a hideous black interior? Just get the white, and want to live and enjoy every day of life!

I apply ceramic coatings to white Tesla seats in my business, so take my comments with that in mind. However I also have to face my clients year after year so I only install products that I know I can look my client in the face years later.
I've personally tested Optimum's Opti-guard Leather and highly recommend it for white Tesla interiors.

Reactions: karmamule
Are there any downsides to ceramic coating the interior? In particular, does it change the look or feel of the seats at all? Second, if you apply the coating once are you committed to doing it every year or for the life of the interior- i.e. does it start looking bad as it wears off or attract even more dirt compared to just using traditional cleaning products without ever ceramic coating?

I wear expensive jeans that tend to transfer dye a lot more than something like Levis. Not raw denim but if you rub a white towel on them you can see the blue quite clearly.

Yep, you can ceramic coat vinyl and leather, you can specifically coat the vinyl on Tesla's. Most common brands are CQuartz and Ceramic Pro.

I cannot stress this enough - if you go white, get this done DAY 1. Seriously - arrange for the car to be driven straight to a shop to get this done or do the CQuartz at home, but I would pay a professional to put on multiple coats of this stuff.

Wow, never knew this was a thing.

Love to get white in our next purchase but my wife Karen is not convinced.

Are there any downsides to ceramic coating the interior? In particular, does it change the look or feel of the seats at all? Second, if you apply the coating once are you committed to doing it every year or for the life of the interior- i.e. does it start looking bad as it wears off or attract even more dirt compared to just using traditional cleaning products without ever ceramic coating?

I wear expensive jeans that tend to transfer dye a lot more than something like Levis. Not raw denim but if you rub a white towel on them you can see the blue quite clearly.
The downside is it affects the wallets of detailers selling ceramic coatings.