Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How laggy is your touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always experienced slow touch screen response with my 2015 85D and I though that is normal, until I drove a 85 loaner (not sure which year but presumably older than mine as it has a low-res touch screen) that was much smoother .. This makes me wonder if the lag is normal after all!
Just to give a couple of examples:

1. Turning the AC up/down sometimes takes ~2 seconds to respond, especially while driving.
2. While driving, it is almost impossible to scroll through Nav history. It is so laggy that my scroll will almost always register as a 'click' and reset navigation to which ever address I touched first (This is very annoying..)
3. Switching items on the dashboard feels like there are only 3 frames in each animation

I vaguely remember it was smoother before but I'm not so sure anymore. I forget, has there been any change in the computer hardware in the past?
How does your touch screen respond?

I have always experienced slow touch screen response with my 2015 85D and I though that is normal, until I drove a 85 loaner (not sure which year but presumably older than mine as it has a low-res touch screen) that was much smoother .. This makes me wonder if the lag is normal after all!
Just to give a couple of examples:

1. Turning the AC up/down sometimes takes ~2 seconds to respond, especially while driving.
2. While driving, it is almost impossible to scroll through Nav history. It is so laggy that my scroll will almost always register as a 'click' and reset navigation to which ever address I touched first (This is very annoying..)
3. Switching items on the dashboard feels like there are only 3 frames in each animation

I vaguely remember it was smoother before but I'm not so sure anymore. I forget, has there been any change in the computer hardware in the past?
How does your touch screen respond?
Have you tried deleting all of your Navigation history one by one from Places? I've read on the forum from several people that was the recommended solution from Tesla and it worked. There's even a Bjorn video on this.

Drives me a bit bonkers how slow it is. Same processor they had in 2013 when we first looked into buying. Maybe the model 3 will be better. The MX loaner we had recently was just as slow but we still enjoyed the car. I'll give the nav trick a try. It could help and can't hurt.

I would suggest it is bad programming, not slow processor, that causes this lag. My guess is they are executing some slow code for each navigation history on each UI tick. Probably didn't figure people would have a lot of history. Bad assumptions.

Many of us believe it's a memory leak and/or combination of poor design not establishing hard upper limits on things like number of Historical Nav Places, number of tracks on a USB Stick, Depth of file structure on USB stick, etc., etc. and Media Player that pulls in more and more unique Gracenotes album covers over time. For some of us, assuming of course MS is not downloading/unpacking an update, the more of each of these things there are, the faster a "laggy" CID occurs and the more oddball Infotainment issues ensue which are temporarily resolved by a full CID reboot (both scroll wheels plus the brake until Tesla T appears.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Korben and hanl1
Many of us believe it's a memory leak and/or combination of poor design not establishing hard upper limits on things like number of Historical Nav Places, number of tracks on a USB Stick, Depth of file structure on USB stick, etc., etc. and Media Player that pulls in more and more unique Gracenotes album covers over time. For some of us, assuming of course MS is not downloading/unpacking an update, the more of each of these things there are, the faster a "laggy" CID occurs and the more oddball Infotainment issues ensue which are temporarily resolved by a full CID reboot (both scroll wheels plus the brake until Tesla T appears.)

I didn't know you need to hit brake while rebooting via the scroll wheel method. So I guess without the brake it is a soft restart of some sort?

Have you tried deleting all of your Navigation history one by one from Places? I've read on the forum from several people that was the recommended solution from Tesla and it worked. There's even a Bjorn video on this.

For the record, I tried it and it definitely helped. Well, at least the nav screen scrolls much more smoothly (although still not really smooth).
I think it feels less laggy in general after I deleted almost all the nav history, but this might just my subconscious bias.

I didn't know you need to hit brake while rebooting via the scroll wheel method. So I guess without the brake it is a soft restart of some sort?
Appears to be at least two different reboots of the CID that can be initiated by the owner. I don't think anyone here has ever said with definitive authority the complete difference between the methods -- assuming there is -- but as you can imagine, that has not stopped plenty of supposition. I have had Tesla support tell me the process I described with the brake was what was necessary to clear my issue -- and it did -- after I had tried the (normal) two-scroll-wheel only approach without permanent resolution. As such, I perform what I call "the full reboot" if I can stop, but if I can't and the CID is locked-up while I'm driving, the traditional two-wheel only method works much of the time in a pinch.

BTW, several times per week my CID is less responsive for the first several seconds -- sometimes 15 seconds or longer -- after I get into my MS. Additionally, touches sometimes seem to get stacked-up in a buffer somewhere while the CID appears unresponsive, then the touches all of a sudden seem to be released in rapid succession, when all becomes good again with the CID. Again, I've reported it to my SvC, but there was no specific solution. I just take a deep breath and wait it out when that occurs. It's irritating, but there are more important things to get high blood pressure over. ;)

Few things:

1. Removing that nav history helps, but it's not the major cause of overall UI slowness.
2. It used to be faster.
3. I agree it's primarily a coding/optimization issue vs. a processor issue (though a faster processor would be nice, we're stuck with the one we have in our cars for the foreseeable future). Sometime in the v6 to v7 timeframe, code changes slowed the touchscreen down quite a bit.

Try an experiment.

1. Put the map on half your screen, showing the aerial photo view.
2. Put the media player browser on the other half, and go to a folder containing a bunch of songs (or a Slacker/TuneIn folder).
3. Swipe up and down to scroll the list of songs.

Notice how laggy it is.

4. Now make the media browser fullscreen.
5. Swipe to scroll again. It's MUCH faster now.

Basically, the map is the primary processor cycle consumer from the UI perspective. A tech once accidentally left my car in factory mode, and I drove around for a bit with it engaged. It showed the framerate of the display, and I was getting 10-15 fps most of the time with the map up. Not too snappy.

Hopefully part of the reason for v8 was to optimize a lot of this.

Hopefully sometime Tesla devotes some time to cleaning up and optimizing their code.

I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope my Tesla's touchscreen gets snappy. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Hope20.jpg

(5 bonus points if you know the movie that quote above was (mostly) ripped from).

Reactions: msnow
Appears to be at least two different reboots of the CID that can be initiated by the owner. I don't think anyone here has ever said with definitive authority the complete difference between the methods -- assuming there is -- but as you can imagine, that has not stopped plenty of supposition. I have had Tesla support tell me the process I described with the brake was what was necessary to clear my issue -- and it did -- after I had tried the (normal) two-scroll-wheel only approach without permanent resolution. As such, I perform what I call "the full reboot" if I can stop, but if I can't and the CID is locked-up while I'm driving, the traditional two-wheel only method works much of the time in a pinch.

BTW, several times per week my CID is less responsive for the first several seconds -- sometimes 15 seconds or longer -- after I get into my MS. Additionally, touches sometimes seem to get stacked-up in a buffer somewhere while the CID appears unresponsive, then the touches all of a sudden seem to be released in rapid succession, when all becomes good again with the CID. Again, I've reported it to my SvC, but there was no specific solution. I just take a deep breath and wait it out when that occurs. It's irritating, but there are more important things to get high blood pressure over. ;)

Then I will definitely try out the full reboot. My model S might not have rebooted for months! If there were any memory leak in their code, that could add up over time to a noticeable lag. I truly hope this is merely a software issue.

Few things:

Hopefully sometime Tesla devotes some time to cleaning up and optimizing their code.

I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope my Tesla's touchscreen gets snappy. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

I got so confused when you made the transition to the quote ;)
Then I remembered, with the help of Google, that this is Shawshank Redemption

I wish I could get a chance to to play in factory mode as well. Just curious, when the fps was on the higher end, how much was it?

One of the best movies of all time.

I honestly don't think I ever checked the FPS without the map displayed. That was before I realized how many cycles were consumed by the map.

My best guess just by eye is that without the map up, the UI hits about 30 fps at best.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Yeah, definitely a software issue. The Nvidia Tegra 3 chip is plenty capable of running a 1080p display (as it did on some smartphones). There was a rumor that for the last year or so the CID got a Tegra 4 upgrade, even more capable. But none of that matters when your code is not optimized. Tesla is still using a 4 year old custom implementation of WebKit, so you can imagine what else is outdated in terms of software... Hopefully 8.0 will address this.

• Informative
Reactions: hanl1
Yeah, definitely a software issue. The Nvidia Tegra 3 chip is plenty capable of running a 1080p display (as it did on some smartphones). There was a rumor that for the last year or so the CID got a Tegra 4 upgrade, even more capable. But none of that matters when your code is not optimized. Tesla is still using a 4 year old custom implementation of WebKit, so you can imagine what else is outdated in terms of software... Hopefully 8.0 will address this.
I see. Just curious where did you find the specs of the Model S hardware?
So the Nvidia Tegra line is designed for mobile devices.. I find it funny that the Model S, though technically is a 'mobile device' would use the same chip mostly installed on devices 10,000 times smaller (and lighter) than itself.
Big body, small brain.. think dinosaurs.. Don't get me wrong, I still love it :)

Few things:

1. Removing that nav history helps, but it's not the major cause of overall UI slowness.
2. It used to be faster.
3. I agree it's primarily a coding/optimization issue vs. a processor issue (though a faster processor would be nice, we're stuck with the one we have in our cars for the foreseeable future). Sometime in the v6 to v7 timeframe, code changes slowed the touchscreen down quite a bit.

Try an experiment.

1. Put the map on half your screen, showing the aerial photo view.
2. Put the media player browser on the other half, and go to a folder containing a bunch of songs (or a Slacker/TuneIn folder).
3. Swipe up and down to scroll the list of songs.

Notice how laggy it is.

4. Now make the media browser fullscreen.
5. Swipe to scroll again. It's MUCH faster now.

Basically, the map is the primary processor cycle consumer from the UI perspective. A tech once accidentally left my car in factory mode, and I drove around for a bit with it engaged. It showed the framerate of the display, and I was getting 10-15 fps most of the time with the map up. Not too snappy.

Hope20.jpg

(5 bonus points if you know the movie that quote above was (mostly) ripped from).
Shawshank, count it.

So the Nvidia Tegra line is designed for mobile devices.. I find it funny that the Model S, though technically is a 'mobile device' would use the same chip mostly installed on devices 10,000 times smaller (and lighter) than itself.
Big body, small brain.. think dinosaurs.. Don't get me wrong, I still love it :)
They use that chip because it doesn't use much power.

I don't own a Tesla yet, but try to follow news and informations about its UI and UX closely and am thus very curious how all the different UI-elements perform. As a small tool for a browser's rendering-performance (and sorf-of benchmark) you can play around with...

WebGL/Canvas toy

... which is a personal tech-demo, I use for some tests. It offers two modes of operation "2D canvas" (displaying an analogue clock) and "WebGL" (displaying a very simple 3D-scene with some animation). I would assume that only the "2D Canvas" will work with Tesla's browser (would be really surprised, if it supports WebGL too). It does display the achieved framerate in the bottom-right corner and usually does cap out at about 60 fps on common desktop-browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera on very modest hardware.

I would like to know how the two modes work (like mentioned above, the WebGL one probably won't work) for the different versions of Tesla's UI-releases.

As a software-engineer for man-machine interfaces (CS-speak for UIs :) a real native benchmark would be a lot nicer and far more interesting, but sadly Tesla does not offer a SDK yet for their UI and infotainment system-software.

Best regards...

MacSlow

TeslaTap has a bunch of undocumented information here, including some on the Tegra 2 & 3 in the IC and MCU. That was reported in 2013 and I have yet to hear of any updated, though I'm not sure how many people have pried it open to find out.

It does display the achieved framerate in the bottom-right corner and usually does cap out at about 60 fps on common desktop-browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera on very modest hardware.

Tesla's browser is a custom build of Firefox, so it may actually have WebGL, and you are likely to see similar browser performance results as some version of official Firefox on the same hardware.

Expanding a little, they're running a custom build of Debian (some say Ubuntu but this seems unlikely to me), so if you can get terminal/root access...:)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hanl1