Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also in NY and my system was also left on by installers, but they also told me if the utility co finds out the meter has been running backwards before PTO, they can technically fine me. I'm definitely generating excess power and selling into the grid.

May I ask which utility co you use and if they gave you trouble for running the meter backwards before PTO?
Con Edison.
They installed the smart net meter months before installation even began.
My bill listed my net meter credits before PTO as well.
Unsure if they overlooked my case or just don’t care. But I took the shot. What was my other alternative? Call tesla and tell them to send a tech to turn off the system? I can barely get a hold of anyone anyway. Lol

My mom in SE Massachusetts with EverSource took nearly 7 months to get PTO.

A huge part of that was delay on EverSource who received Tesla's application in mid-December and didn't send us the Interconnection email until early March. It then took something like another month for Tesla/EverSource to realize that the town wiring inspection had been attached to the *wrong* work order and that the actual one didn't have one!!! Once that was realized, it was early June before the bi-directional meter was installed. We went online in mid-June finally

In Houston Texas we had the system installed June 2 2021. It was three weeks until we decided to call Tesla only to be told they were waiting on Centerpoint. Called Centerpoint and they told us Tesla had to redo something in the paperwork…apparently they had just sent it in and no one was following up. Once we got involved and started making a ruckus we got PTO in a week.

My advice to anyone, don’t wait on Tesla. Call the utility company about a week after your system is installed and get the ball rolling.

In Houston Texas we had the system installed June 2 2021. It was three weeks until we decided to call Tesla only to be told they were waiting on Centerpoint. Called Centerpoint and they told us Tesla had to redo something in the paperwork…apparently they had just sent it in and no one was following up. Once we got involved and started making a ruckus we got PTO in a week.

My advice to anyone, don’t wait on Tesla. Call the utility company about a week after your system is installed and get the ball rolling.
Also Houston/CenterPoint.

Our install was done June 23-24, and we received PTO last night (Sept 1) -- so almost exactly 10 weeks. I should have called CenterPoint to check on status and see what the issue was, but never did, partly because just enough updates trickled out to reset my "if I don't hear anything by..." clock. Here's the timeline we had:

• June 23-24: Install
  • June 25: Passed inspection
  • July 1: Received the distributed generation application from CenterPoint that I needed to sign. Rant: Tesla never mentioned anything about this -- I would have expected their local install team to at least mention to keep an eye out for it...
  • July 2: Signed/Submitted the DG application (digital sig...)
  • July 19: Notification from CenterPoint that the application was rejected (2 areas where labels were not consistent on the one-line design). Tesla resubmitted a couple minutes later (I'm guessing CenterPoint had been in contact with Tesla, and someone just updated the workflow when the correction came in...).
  • Aug 4: Local Tesla team calls to ask if they can stop by and swap in the correct breakers into the gateway and take some additional pictures for CenterPoint. The band of breaker that matches our panel wasn't avail at install. Something tells me the CenterPoint asked why 2 of the breakers didn't match (I'm not happy -- mixing breaker brands is a potential electrical code violation).
  • Aug 9: Received an email from the Tesla project advisor asking if we were planning to use the co-branded Tesla/MP2 net metering plan (we're not)...
  • Aug 5: Notifications (about 3 in total) from CenterPoint that the application was approved and moving to the utility's inspection process.
  • Aug 27: Notification from CenterPoint that the application was moved from rejected to re-submitted (I did not get a notification it was rejected a 2nd time, so this one is odd...)
  • Sept 1: Get a text message from Tesla saying the application with our utility had been submitted (seems this was ~2 months late?). Checked email and saw a flurry of notifications from CenterPoint saying 1) the system was reviewed and design approved, 2) utility inspection was in progress, 3) inspection passed, 4) an email with the link to digitally sign the interconnection agreement, and 5) an email from Tesla saying the same thing as the text message. About 90 min later, I was able to read/sign the interconnection agreement. CenterPoint did their signature 10-15 min later, and we received PTO. The Tesla project advisor even sent an email letting me know that I needed to sign the interconnection agreement, but that came in a min or two after I had already signed it...
  • Sept 2: Tesla updated their site to reflect PTO (text/email notifications...)

Now I just need to get Tesla back out here to install the corner trim pieces -- they were on backorder at install. At least the project advisor confirmed that it is a punch list item open on our account...

Phoenix AZ

2/14: order placed
3/15: permits filed
4/13: permits approved
5/2: ready to schedule
7/5: utility interconnection submitted
7/19: approve final design/payment details
7/20: install scheduled
8/5: install starts
8/6: install finishes
8/17: Tesla updates completed status ready for inspection
8/20: fire inspection pass
8/23: city inspection pass
9/2: Power company inspection, meters installed/PTO from Power company.
At this point I turned the system on and the next day called Tesla to ge the system activated.

Virtually all the delays were on Tesla the city and rest of the process went pretty smooth and the guy who was responsible for scheduling inspections was awesome and very responsive unlike other parts of the process.

Most of the delays on Teslas part due to them shuffling around my project advisor and needed to do a “redesign” even though from day 1 I submitted paperwork saying conduit must be ran inside.

• Informative
Reactions: JP Bark and Hebert
Con Edison.
They installed the smart net meter months before installation even began.
My bill listed my net meter credits before PTO as well.
Unsure if they overlooked my case or just don’t care. But I took the shot. What was my other alternative? Call tesla and tell them to send a tech to turn off the system? I can barely get a hold of anyone anyway. Lol
You're lucky in more ways than one! First there was a month's delay while Tesla figured out how they were going to install the backup switch w/o National Grid approval, then during Tesla's inspection a few days later I noticed that only one string of two was producing any power. They came back a few days later and connected that. National Grid came over a few days later and installed my net meter, but then v4 of the APP came out and effectively blocked exporting to the grid, which wasn't a big deal, but the System started shutting down due to DC Arc Faults, and during the troubleshooting I noticed that one string is producing only half the voltage of the other, indicating that half of the array isn't connected properly. I called Tesla Scheduling, and was told by one dweeb the System shouldn't be on because I didn't have PTO yet, and that they couldn't find any reference to my system in their system by another dweeb that never called me back. This is the kind of half-assed crap you get from Tesla energy - an install where they don't even check to see if everything is actually working, and phone support that couldn't care less.

You're lucky in more ways than one! First there was a month's delay while Tesla figured out how they were going to install the backup switch w/o National Grid approval, then during Tesla's inspection a few days later I noticed that only one string of two was producing any power. They came back a few days later and connected that. National Grid came over a few days later and installed my net meter, but then v4 of the APP came out and effectively blocked exporting to the grid, which wasn't a big deal, but the System started shutting down due to DC Arc Faults, and during the troubleshooting I noticed that one string is producing only half the voltage of the other, indicating that half of the array isn't connected properly. I called Tesla Scheduling, and was told by one dweeb the System shouldn't be on because I didn't have PTO yet, and that they couldn't find any reference to my system in their system by another dweeb that never called me back. This is the kind of half-assed crap you get from Tesla energy - an install where they don't even check to see if everything is actually working, and phone support that couldn't care less.
It gets worse! Tesla techs came over and troubleshot the System. While I have 12 panels facing East, and another 12 facing West, they split the West section into 2 6-panel groups in parallel. Also, now the System won't even boot up, stalling on the self test. That was on the 8th. Today I called Tesla to get a status and after I explained that they were supposedly servicing the System, the jerk on the other end simply stated that I was in pre-PTO and the System wasn't supposed to be turned on, and when I asked if she had understood what I said she hung up on me, so I gave her 1's on the survey. So it looks like Tesla "Customer Service" doesn't give a crap about whether your System works or not until you have PTO and start loosing $$.

Reactions: Ramphex
It gets worse! Tesla techs came over and troubleshot the System. While I have 12 panels facing East, and another 12 facing West, they split the West section into 2 6-panel groups in parallel. Also, now the System won't even boot up, stalling on the self test. That was on the 8th. Today I called Tesla to get a status and after I explained that they were supposedly servicing the System, the jerk on the other end simply stated that I was in pre-PTO and the System wasn't supposed to be turned on, and when I asked if she had understood what I said she hung up on me, so I gave her 1's on the survey. So it looks like Tesla "Customer Service" doesn't give a crap about whether your System works or not until you have PTO and start loosing $$.
yes they don't really care , I had similar experience, I am waiting for PTO , they abruptly cut the call saying the system should not even be on
I have multiple questions , they dont seem to care

My utility co rejected Tesla's PTO app 13 days ago due to missing/wrong info submitted.
As of today, Tesla still hasn't submitted the corrections. I've called the project advisors several times but there has been zero progress.
How long does Tesla usually take to resubmit the PTO application corrections after they get a rejection?

My utility co rejected Tesla's PTO app 13 days ago due to missing/wrong info submitted.
As of today, Tesla still hasn't submitted the corrections. I've called the project advisors several times but there has been zero progress.
How long does Tesla usually take to resubmit the PTO application corrections after they get a rejection?
one month. It took Tesla one full month to correct the paperwork. Idiots. Don't bother calling Tesla. I got PTO about two weeks ago now, and Tesla hasn't even notified me. It still says waiting for PTO on my account. I found I hade PTO because my utility sent me an email.

one month. It took Tesla one full month to correct the paperwork. Idiots. Don't bother calling Tesla. I got PTO about two weeks ago now, and Tesla hasn't even notified me. It still says waiting for PTO on my account. I found I hade PTO because my utility sent me an email.
Yes, totally incompetent idiots. Also, borderline criminal business practices -- for instance, makes absolutely no sense to force the customer to make payment prior to PTO.

The problem in my case is that the utility put a 1-month deadline to resubmit and it's already been 2 weeks with no progress.

still done with inspection
4 weeks post install
Same here, I have been pushing tesla to schedule inspection. I made some changes to the original order by adding 2PW. That was back in June, they never updated the permit till 2wks after the installation (8/24). New permit was issued a week ago and I have been calling them daily for someone to scheduled inspection. Finally I got call back from their schedule that they will schedule it for upcoming friday (9/24) , I can only imagine how long would take to get PTO

Similar issues:

My roof was installed back in April, for the next couple of months the tesla project advisor told me we were waiting on national grid.
After pushing for more details at the end of August there was an email directly from national grid to say that they have received my application, and another, 3 days later, to say that the application had been submitted incorrectly.

Now my tesla project manager is uncontactable. If I call it goes to voicemail with a full mailbox so I can't leave messages. If I email it goes unanswered.
If I call the regular support desk and explain (though it's only meant to be for completed projects) they also can't reach my project manager.

TL;DR My project manager is MIA, and I think my other communications with tesla are just being forwarded to my project manager.

Similar story also - I'm still waiting on PTO - inspection date was 4/22.

EverSource has been responsive, Tesla has been a nightmare (sitting on paperwork, can't install the right equipment, etc.) They can't seem to do something as simple as call you back. I've been patient but their customer service is absurd.

I've filed a complaint that was taken up by the Mass AG office. Hopefully this will resolve things.

Similar issues:

My roof was installed back in April, for the next couple of months the tesla project advisor told me we were waiting on national grid.
After pushing for more details at the end of August there was an email directly from national grid to say that they have received my application, and another, 3 days later, to say that the application had been submitted incorrectly.

Now my tesla project manager is uncontactable. If I call it goes to voicemail with a full mailbox so I can't leave messages. If I email it goes unanswered.
If I call the regular support desk and explain (though it's only meant to be for completed projects) they also can't reach my project manager.

TL;DR My project manager is MIA, and I think my other communications with tesla are just being forwarded to my project manager.
Looks like everyone experiences something similar. They should fire all the project advisors since they actually don't do anything. They're there to log customer questions and complaints but the role isn't designed to actually solve anything so nothing gets done, and makes the role useless.

Did you file a complaint with your state AG? My complaint got them to submit the initial PTO app but since they messed that up, not sure there's much else that can be done, other than actual legal action.

They really need to change the laws I feel with how PTO is done/not done. I think a lot of us are concerned with NEM3.0 in CA coming and I believe you're grandfathered into a certain NEM only after PTO.

Having to depend on a slow moving utility for that and installer incompetence seems a bit unfair, especially with delays stretching 6+ months for some people or even longer. I think once you 'apply' for PTO, you should be grandfathered based on apply date in since everything else is now waiting for someone else and it's out of your control already.