Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what is better, stuck in waiting for inspection or waiting for PTO... I mean at least I don't make any payments when I am still waiting for inspection, once the inspection pass and you start making payments there isn't any incentives for Tesla to rush it. I would probably be pissed if they didn't have "self-consumption only" mode. That way so far I make enough energy during the day to charge my PWs and run the house normal. At night PWs discharge and cycle repeats.

I don't know what is better, stuck in waiting for inspection or waiting for PTO... I mean at least I don't make any payments when I am still waiting for inspection, once the inspection pass and you start making payments there isn't any incentives for Tesla to rush it. I would probably be pissed if they didn't have "self-consumption only" mode. That way so far I make enough energy during the day to charge my PWs and run the house normal. At night PWs discharge and cycle repeats.

Neither, I'm stuck in the same step as you. I just noticed that they filed a revised permit for me, so I guess inspection sooner than later. My SA said that PTO countdown starts based on your installation date. So I guess that's a good thing that both timers are running at the same time. Did they put all the stickers on your system? I'm curious on when they will since my whole system is stickerless at the moment.

Does anyone have experience submitting their own PTO request to Southern California Edison (SCE)?

We ordered 3 Powerwalls a year ago, and they were installed and apparently passed city inspection back in March. No indication from Tesla regarding when they will submit the PTO application; takes weeks to get a response, and when we do, the answer is always some generic "I'll correspond with the team again".

I recently started a powerclerk application through SCE and have some questions about how to properly submit the application - I have a background in engineering, so I think I can figure it out if someone has some experience with the nuances of the program.

We have an SGIP rebate that's set to expire before the end of the year, and we need to get PTO in order to complete the second stage; hence the question.

Neither, I'm stuck in the same step as you. I just noticed that they filed a revised permit for me, so I guess inspection sooner than later. My SA said that PTO countdown starts based on your installation date. So I guess that's a good thing that both timers are running at the same time. Did they put all the stickers on your system? I'm curious on when they will since my whole system is stickerless at the moment.
yeah, stickers are on, I actually printed some of them and labeled the breakers. I am supposed to get inspection today, so will update by end of it. Seriously getting Tesla installed and inspection is like part time PM job for me.

Reactions: Ramphex
Does anyone have experience submitting their own PTO request to Southern California Edison (SCE)?

We ordered 3 Powerwalls a year ago, and they were installed and apparently passed city inspection back in March. No indication from Tesla regarding when they will submit the PTO application; takes weeks to get a response, and when we do, the answer is always some generic "I'll correspond with the team again".

I recently started a powerclerk application through SCE and have some questions about how to properly submit the application - I have a background in engineering, so I think I can figure it out if someone has some experience with the nuances of the program.

We have an SGIP rebate that's set to expire before the end of the year, and we need to get PTO in order to complete the second stage; hence the question.
I dont remember anyone posting they did it themselves. I do remember someone saying they reported tesla delays to their attorney generals office:

We are having the same exact issue in Massachusetts. Installed in end of May, passed electrical inspection on the 27th, and paid in full cash on June 1st. I called NG on July 1st to see what the hold up was. They said Tesla had not yet submitted the paperwork. Now, halfway through August, I keep getting "prioritized" on the list to get the paperwork submitted , but no promises on a date. I have had it and submitted a complaint to the attorney generals office. I think if enough folks do the same, they will investigate.

I have PTO yesterday! Tesla finally got around to correcting the paperwork they initially submitted incorrectly mid August to National Grid. They submitted the corrected paperwork on Sunday, NG approved Monday and Installed the meters Tuesday and gave PTO two hours after the meters are installed. It took about four months from electrical inspection to PTO. They delay was all due to Tesla being understaffed and apparently incompetent in the submission requirements as well. The thing that definitely spurred them along was me contacting the state attorney general office and filing a complaint.

I've had to file multiple complaints with the California State Contractors License Board to get to this point. My feeling is that Tesla doesn't care one bit.

After being an excited early adopter (multiple cars, roof/solar/powerwall orders/installs), we're absolutely done with Tesla. There's no excuse for this absolutely horrific customer service IMHO.

yeah, stickers are on, I actually printed some of them and labeled the breakers. I am supposed to get inspection today, so will update by end of it. Seriously getting Tesla installed and inspection is like part time PM job for me.
Officially passed inspection. Tesla inspector that came told me he will submit all the paperwork today and I should get PTO in the next 4-6wks. I am really doubtful reading on here how long that will take. We were chatting about customer service, and he mentioned that tesla de-centralized customer support center that used to be in Vegas and closed down that building when Covid hit. He admit that now is a mess. Count down begins to PTO let see how long would take.

Officially passed inspection. Tesla inspector that came told me he will submit all the paperwork today and I should get PTO in the next 4-6wks. I am really doubtful reading on here how long that will take. We were chatting about customer service, and he mentioned that tesla de-centralized customer support center that used to be in Vegas and closed down that building when Covid hit. He admit that now is a mess. Count down begins to PTO let see how long would take.
Same thing my inspector said, lets see what happens. He did mention because I have a backup switch it could complicate things.

Same thing my inspector said, lets see what happens. He did mention because I have a backup switch it could complicate things.
I have old fashion GW2, honestly I would have loved to get the damn backup switch, but was told PG&E won't approve it and that might delay my PTO. My guess you have the same Tesla guy as I did, seems like he is the one making the rounds around bay area

I have old fashion GW2, honestly I would have loved to get the damn backup switch, but was told PG&E won't approve it and that might delay my PTO. My guess you have the same Tesla guy as I did, seems like he is the one making the rounds around bay area
If he put your stickers on crooked, probably same guy :). My OCD kicked in and I had to adjust all the stickers after they left.

I've had to file multiple complaints with the California State Contractors License Board to get to this point. My feeling is that Tesla doesn't care one bit.

After being an excited early adopter (multiple cars, roof/solar/powerwall orders/installs), we're absolutely done with Tesla. There's no excuse for this absolutely horrific customer service IMHO.

IMO, the root of the issue with delayed PTO is that full payment is required prior to PTO application submission. With cash in their pockets, there is zero incentive for them to work on PTO (or anything else for that matter). I'm no legal expert, but there must be some sort of law or regulation protecting consumers from this type of shady practice.

I've already submitted a complaint to my state AG, but wondering if anyone has taken actual legal action regarding this matter.

Read your purchase contract. Section 3 of mine states that, as part of "Installation", Tesla will "submit permit and interconnection applications related to installation of your System on your behalf."

Section 4 entitled "Payment" states that "you agree to pay the Purchase Price after your system is installed."

Payment is not due until after Tesla submits the PTO application. That is, since the system installation process includes submitting an interconnection (PTO) application, the system cannot be considered "installed" (past tense) until after they have done so.

I had a lengthily conversation with billing and the rep told me that the contract requires payment in full before Tesla would submit PTO. When I asked her (multiple times) to show me where the contract states this, she was obviously unable to come up with anything; instead telling me they would send me to collections and shut off my system if I didn't pay up. This is a blatant misrepresentation of the terms and conditions of the purchase contract.

This is outside of the fact that my contact also says install would occur 10-90 days (3 months max) after signing, and we're now on month 13. We have a second project with the same 10-90 day time frame, and we're now in month 19 with no end in sight.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a class action over this issue yet.

I'm in New York, my Panels were installed and inspected back in June. Nothing unusual at all about my install. I have Con Edison, and Tesla still has not submitted PTO paperwork. I kept getting the runaround when I spoke to my advisor. Now my advisor is no longer is responding to calls or emails. Not sure what to do. Does anyone have an escalation number or manager at Tesla they can refer me to? I'm completely in the dark. Considering legal action if anyone else from NY is in the same spot and wants to work together. After install I paid the 10% down payment on the loan they asked for. They haven't billed me since.

I'm in New York, my Panels were installed and inspected back in June. Nothing unusual at all about my install. I have Con Edison, and Tesla still has not submitted PTO paperwork. I kept getting the runaround when I spoke to my advisor. Now my advisor is no longer is responding to calls or emails. Not sure what to do. Does anyone have an escalation number or manager at Tesla they can refer me to? I'm completely in the dark. Considering legal action if anyone else from NY is in the same spot and wants to work together. After install I paid the 10% down payment on the loan they asked for. They haven't billed me since.
I'm in NY Hudson Valley. Central Hudson is my utility. We're all in a similar situation. (877) 701-7652 gets you to a random advisor, but I guarantee you they won't be helpful and will just anger you more.

Did you submit a complaint with the NY state AG? You can use their online complaint submission. This is what forced Tesla to get my initial PTO app submitted, but of course they messed that up so it was rejected by my utility and I'm back to square one.

@slazinger_7 I'd also consider legal action. Whoever handled the class action lawsuit against Tesla for the solar roof price hike post contract signing seems to have been successful in getting a good outcome for the customers.

Similar story also - I'm still waiting on PTO - inspection date was 4/22.

EverSource has been responsive, Tesla has been a nightmare (sitting on paperwork, can't install the right equipment, etc.) They can't seem to do something as simple as call you back. I've been patient but their customer service is absurd.

I've filed a complaint that was taken up by the Mass AG office. Hopefully this will resolve things.
You might try the eversource contact in this Link