Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do the headlights stay on after exiting the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is the correct area to post this but wondering about the headlights after exit. So after charging the car I went into the garage to disconnect the charging cable and because I keep track of the mileage I pressed the brake pedal so I can record the mileage and of course the headlights come on. I go back into the house and 5 minutes later I happened to go back into the garage and the headlights are still on. Do not remember this happening before the last update, what is the delay for shut down of the headlights after exiting the car. I have not changed the settings still on auto off.

Not sure this is the correct area to post this but wondering about the headlights after exit. So after charging the car I went into the garage to disconnect the charging cable and because I keep track of the mileage I pressed the brake pedal so I can record the mileage and of course the headlights come on. I go back into the house and 5 minutes later I happened to go back into the garage and the headlights are still on. Do not remember this happening before the last update, what is the delay for shut down of the headlights after exiting the car. I have not changed the settings still on auto off.

The manual says one minute. But, headlight settings are saved in the driver profile. If you have configured an "Exit" profile, don't forget to set your preference in Exit also.

The manual says one minute. But, headlight settings are saved in the driver profile. If you have configured an "Exit" profile, don't forget to set your preference in Exit also.
I check that and it is set for auto off on exit on my profile, this seems to only happen when I tap the brake pedal in the garage. When I drive in the garage at night the lights do go off in 1 minute, so not sure what is going on.

I check that and it is set for auto off on exit on my profile, this seems to only happen when I tap the brake pedal in the garage. When I drive in the garage at night the lights do go off in 1 minute, so not sure what is going on.
When you tap the brake pedal, you turn the car on again. The lights didn't go off because the car was running.

Yes but the headlights should not stay on for 5 minutes after the brake pedal was pressed and then the driver quickly exited the car.
So my question to the OP is: after you pressed the brake pedal to turn the car on so you could read the mileage and record it, how long really were you sitting in the driver's seat to do all that, and then how long really was it between you exiting the car and walking away and then returning to the garage to see that the headlights were still on?
If in reality it was only 2 minutes and not 5 minutes, that would explain it. Often times our estimates of elapsed time is way off.

Reactions: botox
Yes but the headlights should not stay on for 5 minutes after the brake pedal was pressed and then the driver quickly exited the car.
So my question to the OP is: after you pressed the brake pedal to turn the car on so you could read the mileage and record it, how long really were you sitting in the driver's seat to do all that, and then how long really was it between you exiting the car and walking away and then returning to the garage to see that the headlights were still on?
If in reality it was only 2 minutes and not 5 minutes, that would explain it. Often times our estimates of elapsed time is way off.
I did not sit in the seat, I pushed the brake pedal with my hand. Maybe that is the problem and they were on for at least 5 minutes maybe longer. The main thing that I'm wondering about is I have been doing this since 7.1 and never experienced this problem.