Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to hold onto current Model S/X before 'current owner' Model 3 delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S70D that I want to let go before I take delivery of LRM3, which supposedly available in Oct-Dec for me.

My current kbb projection of the used value will be close to what I would pay for a M3. For CA taxes and fees, the nice $7.5k tax would cancel out in my calculation. I'm willing to get an RWD for this reason.

My question is, how long do I need to hold onto my Model S, so that I qualify as a current owner, so I receive M3 in Oct-Dec 2017 as estimator suggests? If I were to sell my Model S tomorrow, would I lose my priority since there is no longer model S in "My Tesla" page? Do I really need to be a 'current owner' until I take delivery of a Model 3?

I want to sell MS asap since I suspect huge value drop after M3 become available. Kbb hasn't realized that shift in demand yet.

Anybody in the same shoes? Thoughts?

My current plan is to sell MS right after I pay $2500 deposit for model 3 ordering page. That should place my name in the production line que and they will probably not postpone my order then. Hopefully I didn't lose 10k between now and 1-2 months larer...

I have a S70D that I want to let go before I take delivery of LRM3, which supposedly available in Oct-Dec for me.

My current kbb projection of the used value will be close to what I would pay for a M3. For CA taxes and fees, the nice $7.5k tax would cancel out in my calculation. I'm willing to get an RWD for this reason.

My question is, how long do I need to hold onto my Model S, so that I qualify as a current owner, so I receive M3 in Oct-Dec 2017 as estimator suggests? If I were to sell my Model S tomorrow, would I lose my priority since there is no longer model S in "My Tesla" page? Do I really need to be a 'current owner' until I take delivery of a Model 3?

I want to sell MS asap since I suspect huge value drop after M3 become available. Kbb hasn't realized that shift in demand yet.

Anybody in the same shoes? Thoughts?

My current plan is to sell MS right after I pay $2500 deposit for model 3 ordering page. That should place my name in the production line que and they will probably not postpone my order then. Hopefully I didn't lose 10k between now and 1-2 months larer...

I would think that once Tesla has your reservation and deposit you should be fine to sell your S70D. That would probably the safest way to go about this, rather than selling too early and losing your position bc you would no longer be a Tesla owner.

I personally doubt there will be a huge drop in value since the Model 3 publicity may prompt more people to see a used Model S (cheaper) as a good value to have *right now* rather than waiting. Also for more enterprising folks, a used S may be a way for them to bump themselves up the Model 3 queue.

This sounds most likely, and safest, to me. I think you'll get invited to configure based on owning so if you wait until you actually confirm, you should be fine.