Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting watching they dynamics play out as far as demand. Some angry some excited. I was contacted to confirm my cash payment vs. financing.

Everyone has things they like, and some things they don't about any truck or any car. Something that is desired that is there, sometimes it is a design feature one wishes wasn't there.

Wonder where people will decide to post the non employee photos and information. This crowd is like a stale cracker.
crackers.jpeg
Had fun back in the day when no one on the east coast had seen a 3 as I moved across the country. People would show up at the supercharger in the winter. This tone is far from what was back then. Here it is bitter.

Doesn't the Cybertruck have about the same wheelbase as a Toyota Tundra? People keep saying that the Aftermarket will be big for the Cybertruck. I keep reading about how the Cybertruck will be a great Overland vehicle. Wonder if the Offroad and Overlanding market will be just as large for the Cybertruck as it is for other makes?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger and mspohr
Rip all of that air suspension out and install Dana 60 axles with long travel leaf springs. Give a few Trucks to people who do Offroad and Overlanding. Find out where the weak points are.
Where you mounting the radius arms / leafs to? Weld the shackles to the pack? How are you driving those ‘tonnes, one single rdu with stub conversions and drive shafts with slip yokes?

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Musk can charge whatever he wants, deploy his PR dept and then the Tesla Fans will fight to be the first.

Musk himself has said this is a $1 mil car, so he trying to recoup his cost.

What will happen next is RWD will be cut. The AWD will be like the LR Y/3, low priority. But if you want one now, get an AWD Foundation Edition.
There's no surprise over the Foundation pricing here. The affluent fanboy base will be milked until that demand runs dry. I can't blame Tesla for that as it makes perfect sense. Production is constrained, so it makes sense to maximize profits.

I agree the RWD version will probably be cut to maximize profit. I'd also bet we'll see price bumps for the AWD version soon.

At this point I'm firmly out, and I'm refocusing my attention on the next Lightning refresh and the Silverado. Too much essential, functional stuff was cut out, interior is a no-go, pricing is high, and I can get much more from the competition for the same or a better price. The opening of the Supercharging network also negates that prior advantage, and that will be completed when I plan to buy.

Either way, I'll watch the testing once it gets into the hands of some unbiased reviewers like TFL. It will also be interesting to watch how the demand curve for this plays out. I predict 2024 will be economically somewhere between worse to catastrophic, and even those with deep pockets are affected at some point.

At this point I'm firmly out, and I'm refocusing my attention on the next Lightning refresh and the Silverado. Too much essential, functional stuff was cut out, interior is a no-go, pricing is high, and I can get much more from the competition for the same or a better price. The opening of the Supercharging network also negates that prior advantage, and that will be completed when I plan to buy.
The BlueOval TN/KY Ford T3 will definitely be interesting. I suspect it will have 48v wiring and dual/tri options. I'd guess e-locking diffs too. Unclear what else tho.

Note that there will still be a Tesla-only advantage in 2024-Adapter / 2025-native_NACS_port for Superchargers because only v3 and above will be usable AFAIK. GIF I created a while back to show v2 and below vs v3 and above.

v2 vs v3 ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
The BlueOval TN/KY Ford T3 will definitely be interesting. I suspect it will have 48v wiring and dual/tri options. I'd guess e-locking diffs too. Unclear what else tho.

Note that there will still be a Tesla-only advantage in 2024-Adapter / 2025-native_NACS_port for Superchargers because only v3 and above will be usable AFAIK. GIF I created a while back to show v2 and below vs v3 and above.

View attachment 1002748
I don't understand why only v3 will be usable.
Isn't the protocol the same?

I don't understand why only v3 will be usable.
Isn't the protocol the same?

No, not quite. When Tesla put together their connector, CCS wasn't even decided yet. In fact the first cross country trip I took back in 2015 CCS still wasn't around. It's confusing because the AC connector on which CCs is based was all over the place. In fact all the Teslas came with a adapter for that, and I think still do.

But, as to the DC charge connection, there's only so much you need, two communications pins, two power pins, and a ground. (In the US where we mostly use single phase. In Europe they use three phase so need three power pins.) So it's really just all about communication protocols. Upgrading all the version 2 super charges to the new protocol is an awful lot of work! So, it will happen as they die and have to be rebuilt. Probably five or six years before they're all upgraded.

No, not quite. When Tesla put together their connector, CCS wasn't even decided yet. In fact the first cross country trip I took back in 2015 CCS still wasn't around. It's confusing because the AC connector on which CCs is based was all over the place. In fact all the Teslas came with a adapter for that, and I think still do.

But, as to the DC charge connection, there's only so much you need, two communications pins, two power pins, and a ground, so it's really just all about communication protocols. Upgrading all the version two super charges to the new protocol is an awful lot of work! So, it will happen as they die and have to be rebuilt. Probably five or six years before they're all upgraded.
So, just a software update?

So, just a software update?

For certain it would involve control boards, possibly some of the backend stuff. From what I understand it is by no means minor. Easier to replace the whole system than to deal with it. Plus, the old ones can't handle anywhere near the amount of current people want nowadays, so why update their protocols? Best to just swap them out. However, since they do use more power, that means putting in bigger transformers, which means potentially having to run new wire from the utility. You can see how all this Cascades into a major deal.

Tesla vehicles can use both because they are, effectively, bilingual. Tesla is only licensing the latest version as NACS.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
For certain it would involve control boards, possibly some of the backend stuff. From what I understand it is by no means minor. Easier to replace the whole system than to deal with it. Plus, the old ones can't handle anywhere near the amount of current people want nowadays, so why update their protocols? Best to just swap them out. However, since they do use more power, that means putting in bigger transformers, which means potentially having to run new wire from the utility. You can see how all this Cascades into a major deal.

Tesla vehicles can use both because they are, effectively, bilingual. Tesla is only licensing the latest version as NACS.
I think a software update to the new protocol should require no hardware changes and could be easily done.
I do understand that the new stations have a higher power output and that would require hardware changes but why not run the older stations with a new protocol even if the power output is limited to 150 kW?

I think a software update to the new protocol should require no hardware changes and could be easily done.
I do understand that the new stations have a higher power output and that would require hardware changes but why not run the older stations with a new protocol even if the power output is limited to 150 kW?

In the US, it's simple. Tesla designed it's own plug and protocol for the release of its first car (Model S) in 2012 and all Teslas since then in the US have used this plug and protocol. They recently published the protocol and this has been adopted as the "North American Charging Standard" (NACS) by the SAE.
So, at least in North America, it's the same protocol and plug for all Teslas (and most other EV makers are also adopting this standard).
So, newer versions of the Tesla chargers have higher power but use the same standard plug and protocol.

Reactions: TessP100D
In the US, it's simple. Tesla designed it's own plug and protocol for the release of its first car (Model S) in 2012 and all Teslas since then in the US have used this plug and protocol. They recently published the protocol and this has been adopted as the "North American Charging Standard" (NACS) by the SAE.
So, at least in North America, it's the same protocol and plug for all Teslas (and most other EV makers are also adopting this standard).
So, newer versions of the Tesla chargers have higher power but use the same standard plug and protocol.

This would not seem to be likely as one has to upgrade the ECU board on cars built before 2018 or 19, in order to use the CCS2 adapter. That is to say, to be able to use the ccs protocol. It would appear that all the new cars use both the CCS compatible protoco and the original.l, whereas the old ones use the original protocol only. All of the Tesla chargers, old and new, will speak the old protocol, only the newer ones will speak the CCS compatible protocol.

And, firmware is not all made to upgrade with simple software. You often have to swap out boards to make it work. Particularly something designed back in 2010. You can find data on that here in these forums, under charging. Particularly the model S and X forums.