Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's the benefits/perks there sometimes is with foreign sims having deals with different networks even within the same countries. Its a shame there isn't as much collaboration within our home networks sometimes other than for emergency calls.
I've always thought it's pretty inefficient to have multiple networks each eatting up airspace and needing masts in similar locations. Feels like it would be better to have one network provider which has all the bandwidth, covers the country nicely and then resellers sell their packages on top. This way you don't have one network say with too much bandwidth in an area with not enough people on it and another with not enough and too many people on slowing it down.

It's effectively the same model as Openreach for wired connections. Of course needs oversight to make sure its not crap.

We already have such resellers (virtual opperators/mvno's) but no one as managed to strike a deal yet :(
Yeah what I mean is combine O2, Vodafone, EE and Three into one mega network with all the bandwidth. I have a feeling in the long run if they want to increase speeds more they'll have to do something like that. It's the same as WiFi now, faster speeds come from using more network frequency per device. There's physics in play that limit how much you can transmit.

I've always thought it's pretty inefficient to have multiple networks each eatting up airspace and needing masts in similar locations. Feels like it would be better to have one network provider which has all the bandwidth, covers the country nicely and then resellers sell their packages on top. This way you don't have one network say with too much bandwidth in an area with not enough people on it and another with not enough and too many people on slowing it down.

It's effectively the same model as Openreach for wired connections. Of course needs oversight to make sure its not crap.
Openreach do have plenty of rival five networks, Virgin, City Fibre etc.

Yeah what I mean is combine O2, Vodafone, EE and Three into one mega network with all the bandwidth. I have a feeling in the long run if they want to increase speeds more they'll have to do something like that. It's the same as WiFi now, faster speeds come from using more network frequency per device. There's physics in play that limit how much you can transmit.
Mobile bands already get aggregate to increase speed. Operators will also be sharing more masts (in rural areas at least anyway) Shared Rural Network

Reactions: boombap
Mobile bands already get aggregate to increase speed. Operators will also be sharing more masts (in rural areas at least anyway) Shared Rural Network
Yes I'm aware of the aggregation for more speed, it's one of the main reasons why 5G is faster than 4G. It'll get harder to do though when you have multiple networks that don't share their bands. Maybe it's not 6G or even 7G but at some point if we want faster, we might have to consolidate. Or maybe it will be at the point where it's just quick enough and we have no known reason for faster in a mobile handset. Who knows.

Same “Routing with no traffic data“ problem for a few months too with my Model S MCU1. Raised a service ticket and after having to supply multiple time stamps eventually got the same response about the car losing connectivity momentarily and the car not recognising when connectivity re-established. Also advised to do a scroll wheel reset but have found that connecting to my phone’s hotspot via Wi-Fi and then disconnecting it also fixes connectivity. Told it could be fixed with a firmware update but no timescale.

Getting worse now. It just seems without a hard reset it just can’t reestablish a connection when connection is lost just for a second.
Agreed. I did a few journeys today (maybe 150 miles total) and the connection must have dropped out a half dozen times. Absolutely woeful. I resorted to using wifi to the hotspot on my mobile in the end. I'm currently on the 1 month Premium Connectivity trial until end Jan but at this rate I think I'll be giving it a miss.

My 2016 Model S is also messed up. I can see traffic congestion on the map but Spotify hanging and can't use navigation. Multiple reboots have failed to fix things over the last 4 days.

Went out yesterday and most of the journey had the signal strike through. It reconnects ok most of the time and I've never bothered rebooting it to get it back as it will just come back eventually.

I wonder what point in the future would allow a starlink receiver in the wing mirror? That would be a game changer if it were technically possible.

Have put a ticket in anyway as I wasn't in the arse end of nowhere so it should have coverage.

Raised the connectivity issue as a service request and was advised it was known issue they’re looking into.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and Js1977
The problem with using a hotspot is that you need to enable wifi every time you start a journey. I’m sure this is a deliberate tactic to encourage people to take the subscription.
There is a toggle in the settings for that I believe... the problem I find is that I have to keep enabling on the phone since it does not stay on permanently and probably nor would I want it to and it will probably drain the battery at a fair rate.

No updates for MCU1 so doubt there is a fix. I had a response from Tesla customer service which basically palmed me off to the service centre. I will respond stating its a nationwide issue, with all models and imphasise they need to action this asap. Personally this is a pretty big issue with the vehicle as most of the functions are not useable, and for my wife who isnt technically minded, using hotspot from her phone isnt plausible, and shouldnt be a work around really. not impresed with Tesla so far with my ownership, however there are not many other manufacturers who make a car which i am looking for. Far too many SUVs for my liking and not enough estate cars...

Incredibly frustrating issue, had two long journeys where it didn't drop out once, one on the 29th Dec (over 215 miles that day without an issue), one on the 1st Jan, however the return leg of the journey was crap on the 1st (going back the same way it worked earlier in the day), dropped 3 times, had to reboot first time to get it back.

Logged a service request that night, no response yet.