Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many strings should I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody commented on an oddity in the diagram: one string is shown not connected.
hireswiring.jpg

How do you see this String level details ? is it in the Tesla app ?
Tesla inverter you can see it in installer mode web portal. Standalone inverter only can login for 15min to the wifi SSID and it would run for about an hour before kicking you off. If you need to get in you need to reboot power cycle the inverter. Pw+ you can login to the TEG portal as installer by toggling the pw switch

It would be best if they used ALL the MPTs in the inverter. Tesla is being INCREDIBLY CHEAP & LAZY ever since they launched their own inverter. They have been combining two strings in parallel on the roof which will decrease efficiency with shading or different azimuths.

MAKE THEM CHANGE IT.

Last edited:
It would be best if they used ALL the MPTs in the inverter. Tesla is being INCREDIBLY CHEAP & LAZY ever since they launched their own inverter. They have been combining two strings in parallel on the roof which will decrease efficiency with shading or different azimuths.

MAKE THEM CHANGE IT.
In my case i have told them , i will not pay, untill they install my 3rd string, as i requested before install , and they had agreed to. I have shading issue , by neighbors -tree huggers on both sides
So far , they r not committing
What will happen next ?
can they threaten a uninstall ?

Quick question regarding this configuration. Why would 2 of the MPPT's be jumped together? I have a system with (1) 3.8 kW Tesla inverter and (2) 7.6 kW Tesla Inverter. The 7.6 kW inverter only has 3 of the 4 MPPT's used (1 have 5 mounting planes total). I'm assuming that this has to do with the maximum power that a single MPPT can handle. Does anyone know what that number is for a Tesla inverter? It feels like leaving an MPPT unused is suboptimal, but the single MPPT may be able to handle the string that it is attached to.

Quick question regarding this configuration. Why would 2 of the MPPT's be jumped together? I have a system with (1) 3.8 kW Tesla inverter and (2) 7.6 kW Tesla Inverter. The 7.6 kW inverter only has 3 of the 4 MPPT's used (1 have 5 mounting planes total). I'm assuming that this has to do with the maximum power that a single MPPT can handle. Does anyone know what that number is for a Tesla inverter? It feels like leaving an MPPT unused is suboptimal, but the single MPPT may be able to handle the string that it is attached to.
The Tesla inverter is limited to 13 A per MPPT input. A typical string will put out ~ 10 A under standard test conditions and a bit less under normal operating conditions. If two strings are wired in parallel on the roof then the current could exceed the single MPPT limit and thus they jumper the two MPPT inputs at the inverter. I still don't understand why they choose to parallelize the strings on the roof instead of running the strings down separately for some installs. The costs savings seems minor.

Reactions: BGbreeder
The Tesla inverter is limited to 13 A per MPPT input. A typical string will put out ~ 10 A under standard test conditions and a bit less under normal operating conditions. If two strings are wired in parallel on the roof then the current could exceed the single MPPT limit and thus they jumper the two MPPT inputs at the inverter. I still don't understand why they choose to parallelize the strings on the roof instead of running the strings down separately for some installs. The costs savings seems minor.
Conduits can only fit so many wire of certain size. For my install with 46 panels in 5 string (3.8+7.6) they needed 2 conduits, 1 can fit 4 thicker pv wire from 2 string, the other they had to switch in a roof junction box from 3 strings of pv into 3 strings of thnn (thinner jacket) to fit it all into the second conduit.

That's one of the possible reason