Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much BHP does an M3 make ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there was a definitive answer to this question, as it seems that there are a wide range of figures being bandied about, and I've no idea which may be true, or close to being true and which may be just plain wrong.

To make matters more confusing, the recent software update has apparently increased power by 5%, but 5% of what, I wonder?

Just taking numbers in this thread, it seem that the M3 LR could be anything from 346bhp to 469bhp. Such a wide range is bonkers, so there must be some really serious errors in some of the numbers.

The number given on the V5 is probably now in error, due to the software change, plus it may take no account of the way the software controls the power, either. There must be a way to find out, just for comparative purposes, the bhp, either at the motor shaft (roughly the same as at a flywheel) or at the wheels for a given set of conditions, other than just guessing from what looks to be flawed information on various web sites.

Is there any way to extrapolate a rough estimate based on vehicle weight and 0-60 times? A genuine question — I don’t know.
Really good question.

I’m not sure how accurate this is (maybe someone can use some other car figures to see it’s accuracy) but putting 1,800 kg weight and a 4.4 second to 60 (or should that be 62?) it suggests 489 bhp for the LR. And 316 bhp for the SR.

0-60, 0-100 & 1/4 Mile Calculator :: TorqueStats Modified

See what you think.

EDIT - it reckons the P is 780, so maybe it’s not that accurate hahaha.

Have a look at this video of a 2021 M3P on a dyno here which delivers 'around 523 BHP'. (Evidently, on the M3P at least, 'dyno mode' is key).

Topics and Time Stamps:
00:00 Atomic Tesla Plans & Impressions
07:52 Underbody Prep
09:00 AMG GT R Pro Underneath
09:34 Dyno Prep
10:27 No Dyno Mode
11:23 With Dyno Mode
12:43 Results and Verdict

(Just as a footnote to the above, it seems Tesla 'switched off' Dyno mode sometime around April 2020 - see here )

Last edited:
Reactions: TesTed
You don't? I can't imagine any BEV maker putting out a car without displaying real time power consumption and certainly not Tesla but if they don't display power in the 3 then you can't do what I'm suggesting. Sorry.
You get a moving bar but its got no numbers on it in the same way as on the MS and MX.

Teslamate tells me the most power I've used recently is 377kw, which is 505bhp on my M£ LR with Acceleration boost. I presume thats battery output not wheel power but that type of complexity happens with ICE (equivalent to crank v wheel power).

Reactions: DM206433
Max motor power is in the Users Manual…. Rather than google random websites for the answer
It gives max power for each individual motor but can the battery pack and inverter supply the full power to both motors at the same time? Also the max power of front and rear motors are at very different speeds, is the gearing matched so they both produce max power at exactly the same time so you can easily calculate the full vehicle power?