Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much BHP does an M3 make ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole max motor power issue blew up when the P85D came out some 6 years ago, lots of articles saying he cars had 601bhp whereas the battery was limiting the car to around 470. Ludicrous raised the battery bar, but it was still a bar, and when cars are cold, low state of charge etc, the performance drops not because of the motors, but because of the battery. Ended up in court

The LR and P have pretty much the same motors and same battery so the limits must be largely software, the numbers quoted must be software locked maximums as the LR can be boosted. I think its another benefit of the LR, the headroom between the power the software allows and the battery limit is larger so its less likely to be clipped by a battery limit, of course the P will never be worse as it uses the same battery (accepting there have been a couple of different ones over time), but when the battery is the limiting factor, the cars seem to perform very similarily.

Reactions: btc1k
An interesting number but I think it's probably the wrong question. Remember when computers only appeared to be rated by the headline CPU MHz? The performance of the whole system is affected my many factors and electric cars are in a similar category.

It gives max power for each individual motor but can the battery pack and inverter supply the full power to both motors at the same time? Also the max power of front and rear motors are at very different speeds, is the gearing matched so they both produce max power at exactly the same time so you can easily calculate the full vehicle power?
I've no idea.

When you press the go pedal in an ICE, how much bhp is lost in transmission? What about a lower octane fuel? What if you're accelerating and you're not at peak torque? What revs does the power drop off at?

You can go on forever.

Surely the point is that the user manual for the car gives max power of the motors so it's the best idea you're going to get ...

Out of interest what’s the bhp (or rates Kw) on the V5 for the latest Model 3 RWD (LFP 60kwh battery)?

My Q3 SR+ LFP is 239kw or 320bhp. As the 0-60 has slightly reduced for the latest model, has the rated power?

I find it amazing that the “base” Tesla has such performance, particularly when you realise how efficient it is. -2 this morning and I got 4miles pkwh on my commute. This evenings return was 4.5mpkwh at 3 degrees.

I have a q4 2021 delivery in December (60kwh lfp) and the V5 states 239kw, I would be interested to know if the 2022 deliveries have a lower figure. I have noticed that the car is still called standard plus in the menu, I saw a video in the states that has the slower motor and the name was model 3 rwd instead.

I'm guessing these quoted figures are at the wheels - manufacturers usually quote flywheel figures, when factoring in the losses and for comparison purposes, the equivalent bhp would be significantly higher?