Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does gas have to be to match Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What part of California are you located in? I'm in San Diego and SDG&E offers a program for ev owners @ $.09 kWh if you charge after midnight + ($18 monthly fee. did the math still much cheaper then $.31 supercharger I use)

PG&E in the the bay area/northern California offers a similar program (where I'm from, family still lives there). And from my research, most if not all power companies offer this. You should look into it.

And that plan has a on peak charge of something like 44 or 48 cents a kw from 4pm to 9pm, when most people are cooking, cleaning, washing clothes, etc.

Reactions: house9
Great, but what’s your on-peak rate?
$0.167kWh

screen-shot-2020-01-20-at-9-31-53-pm-png.502701

how do you figure. Let’s take the price of the car out of it because the diesel experience is far inferior to the Tesla so not comparable. Price of electricity in most places in the US is far cheaper than any diesel I’ve seen.

yes US electricity is cheap (but so is your gas/diesel) but when you suprecharge it is relatively expensive and that was what the OT implied afaik.

In Australia we also dont fare much better. 0.26USD/Kwh Supercharging so thats 4.16 USD/100km EPAish highway cruising, whereas a diesel sedan with 4.5L/100km EPA would cost around 3.7USD/100km. Petrol a bit more expensive.

American electricity is a bit cheaper but your gas is dirt cheap in comparison so I'd wager even a petrol sedan would be under a Tesla using supercharging.

This obviously does not take into account free charging at supermarkets, home charging etc.

This discussion is pointless - It is just a means of patting yourself on the back when gas prices are high (look how smart I am for buying an EV!) and then coming up with myriad of excuses to justify your purchase when gas prices are low and ICE is actually cheaper to “fill up”. Buying a $40k-$60k car doesn’t make any financial sense to begin with anyway.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Matsayz and Zcd1
I honestly don’t really understand the OP’s question.

The Model 3 gets the equivalent of 100-130 mpg, so ~double that of even the most efficient hybrid, and triple that of the most efficient pure ICE gas vehicle.

If comparing it to actual sports/luxury competitors the difference is even larger, so why does it matter where the break even point is with gasoline? We aren’t likely to ever get to that point...

yes US electricity is cheap (but so is your gas/diesel) but when you suprecharge it is relatively expensive and that was what the OT implied afaik.

In Australia we also dont fare much better. 0.26USD/Kwh Supercharging so thats 4.16 USD/100km EPAish highway cruising, whereas a diesel sedan with 4.5L/100km EPA would cost around 3.7USD/100km. Petrol a bit more expensive.

American electricity is a bit cheaper but your gas is dirt cheap in comparison so I'd wager even a petrol sedan would be under a Tesla using supercharging.

This obviously does not take into account free charging at supermarkets, home charging etc.

Everyone's situation will be unique.

In my case, a true apples to apples comparison would to compare the Tesla I bought to a similarly equipped ICE which generally require premium gas in this performance category. When gas and maintenance are considered, in my case (home / work charging), the Tesla would a good bit cheaper in the long run assuming no major out of warranty repairs.

Yeah, a Corolla might be cheaper when supercharging on a long trip, but that's not looking at the whole package.