Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does your electricity cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a time of use plan with Southern California Edison. If I wait until 10pm to charge I pay .10/kWh. I’ve been logging all of my trips using TeslaFi to keep track of how much it is costing me to drive the car.

On a recent road trip to Palm Springs, it shows I drove 107 miles for $2.07. It shows 193 Wh/mi, 110% efficiency.

Does this sound correct? How is it possible that I could drive 107 miles for only $2.07? Am I miscalculating something or is it really that inexpensive to drive my M3? It’s a LR RWD model.

It just seems too good to be true, but if it is true, this car is just absolutely amazing.

It is that inexpensive, yes. I'm not sure if TeslaFi accounts for losses from wall to battery, but if not, you could multiply your kWh that the car is reporting or total cost by 1.2 (20% to be conservative, probably closer to 15% losses) to factor those in.

Reactions: SSedan
What SCE Time of Use Plan? Sounds like TOU-D-B (what we have).

IMHO it IS stupid cheap to drive a Tesla, even our stupid fast 2015 Ludicrous P85D Model S with 21" Michelin Super Sport tires (350 wH/mile average). Our SCE TOU-D-B Super Off-Peak (10PM - 8 AM) rate was at 13¢ / kWh x 350 wH / mile = 4.55¢ per mile... but recent TOU-D-B update showing 10¢ per kWh x 350 wH / mile = 3.5¢ per mile.

107 miles at 3.5¢ / mile would be $3.75 in our Ludicrous P85D

Your 107 mile trip cost could be for $2.07 since your only "burning" 193 Wh / mile... but that Wh / mile rate seems VERY low. Maybe a tailwind? Drafting a large vehicle? Or driving slower than everybody else? (most people drive to Palm Springs ! 80+ mph even though speed limit is ~ 65 mph)

Reactions: VQTRVA
I bet the plan you have is actually 12 cents in the winter after 10pm and 13 cents in the Summer after 10pm. Unless you have an unpublished TOU plan or you put in a separate circuit just for your car but no one in their right mind does that. The ROI doesn't pencil out...

Your math is correct. Even at 12 cents it's under 2.50 for 107 miles (2.48).

My car had to go to the body shop for 3 weeks so I drove my 2018 Toyota Tundra around. I figured I used the same amount of money in that 3 week period as I would spend in electricity in almost 7 months!

PLUS I had to figure out how to use a gas pump again..... Did you know gas is like 4 bucks a gallon right now??? jeez....

CORRECTION: I just looked it up and it's now 13 and 14 cents so they raised it a penny from the last time I looked at my plan.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
8F8655EE-84D4-46C9-A875-28E2533A95F1.jpeg
I bet the plan you have is actually 12 cents in the winter after 10pm and 13 cents in the Summer after 10pm. Unless you have an unpublished TOU plan or you put in a separate circuit just for your car but no one in their right mind does that. The ROI doesn't pencil out...

CORRECTION: I just looked it up and it's now 13 and 14 cents so they raised it a penny from the last time I looked at my plan.

I was told by Edison when I signed up that the rate is either .12 or .13 in summer/winter. So that might be the correct rate. But I’ve attached a copy of the latest summary they sent me. Maybe these rates are before taxes and fees?

Does that account for charging losses as well?

Good point. No, it doesn't. So on the day when I drove back from Palm Springs it says I used $2.48 worth of electricity on the drive, but that night when I recharged the battery it used $3.35 worth of electricity. So in dollars not that significant, but in percentage of total electricity used the losses are quite significant.

I’m on a time of use plan with Southern California Edison. If I wait until 10pm to charge I pay .10/kWh. I’ve been logging all of my trips using TeslaFi to keep track of how much it is costing me to drive the car.

On a recent road trip to Palm Springs, it shows I drove 107 miles for $2.07. It shows 193 Wh/mi, 110% efficiency.

Does this sound correct? How is it possible that I could drive 107 miles for only $2.07? Am I miscalculating something or is it really that inexpensive to drive my M3? It’s a LR RWD model.

It just seems too good to be true, but if it is true, this car is just absolutely amazing.

To answer your question:

193Wh/mi X 107 miles = 20,651 Wh = 20.65 kWH

20.65 kWh X $0.10/kWH = $2.07

Good point. No, it doesn't. So on the day when I drove back from Palm Springs it says I used $2.48 worth of electricity on the drive, but that night when I recharged the battery it used $3.35 worth of electricity. So in dollars not that significant, but in percentage of total electricity used the losses are quite significant.

The Trip Meter does not record auxiliary energy use when not moving. So the difference is charging loss + aux energy + vampire loss. Yes it is pretty significant when you look at the percentage difference.

You're right, but it's still stupid cheap. ;)

Your 107 mile trip cost could be for $2.07 since your only "burning" 193 Wh / mile... but that Wh / mile rate seems VERY low. Maybe a tailwind? Drafting a large vehicle? Or driving slower than everybody else? (most people drive to Palm Springs ! 80+ mph even though speed limit is ~ 65 mph)

Yeah - the 3 is a little more efficient than the S (as it is now - old school batteries). Rumored refresh hopefully will improve that.
Last summer, went across Death Valley - even with the heat I was doing 160 ish Wh/mile. Won't post pics, but later that day was down to 33 Wh/mile crossing Yosemite - enabling me to do 400 + miles on that leg (gotta love regen - 10,000 ft to sea level).

Reactions: StealthP3D
You guys all seem to have great rates. I’m paying Eversource here in MA 25 cents per kWh all in. Rates are supposed to back off a bit this summer which is counterintuitive because that’s when the grid is most stressed due to AC usage.