Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does your electricity cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Northern CA, the PG&E electric car rate is .11/KWH from 11PM-7AM weekdays and before 3PM and after 7PM on weekends and Federal holidays. The rest of the day becomes .45/KWH! I do have solar and was charging an average of 12 KWH every night and changing my habits so the dishwasher runs after 11PM and washing/drying occurs on weekend mornings, my bill actually went down! Now that I have a Tesla things will probably change a little.

In Northern CA, the PG&E electric car rate is .11/KWH from 11PM-7AM weekdays and before 3PM and after 7PM on weekends and Federal holidays. The rest of the day becomes .45/KWH! I do have solar and was charging an average of 12 KWH every night and changing my habits so the dishwasher runs after 11PM and washing/drying occurs on weekend mornings, my bill actually went down! Now that I have a Tesla things will probably change a little.
Jesus Cristo that's almost unbelieveable. .45 KWH wow. I would change jobs or whatever I had to do to get the hell out of there.

That is one of the worst rip offs I've ever heard of.
Must be Republican MBA'S running the board of utilities.

$0.14/kWh (all in - generation, distribution, taxes etc.)

Just saw gasoline up to $3.059 today.

1000/mi month @ 280wh/mi = $39.20/mo in electric.

1000/mi month @ 20mpg = $152.95/mo in gasoline equivalent.
= $1,365 per year savings

Then - NJ has no sales tax on EVs, so that’s another $3,710 I saved.

Plus the $3,750 federal tax incentive?

I’m so far ahead, it’s not even funny.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Ha! In Southern California we are approaching $5.00/gallon.

The more it goes up, the more I save. :D

Maybe that’s why we see so many Teslas in California.

Much as I’d like to gloat as gas prices rise ....

My wife still drives a Buick Enclave. That thing sucks down gas like a Kennedy at an open bar.

Chicago here, on Comed’s real time pricing plan, basically, the $/kWh fluctuates real time per demand/supply. Yes, sometimes, it even goes negative (ie you are paid to use electricity), but it only affects the “supplier” portion of the bill, you still got pay Delivery and all those indecipherable Illinois/Chicago taxes. I’m pretty good at maximizing the low rate hours such as late evening-early morning and weekend hours.

All in, I’m at about $0.14-0.15/kWh.

Last edited:
It’s fascinating to see how widely the price of both electricity and gas varies across the different members on this forum. With electricity at .10/kWh or less and gas approaching $5.00/gallon in California, I scratch my head on why anyone would buy anything but a Tesla. But at .47/kWh and gas prices below $3.00 in other locations, the numbers look very different.

I get a lot of silly questions from my friends and neighbors about the Tesla. You still need to put gas in it right? What happens if the battery dies on the freeway? Why would I want to pay for electricity to drive a car?

If Tesla spent some more money on marketing to educate consumers I think they would sell a lot more cars. Even in California, where Tesla vehicles are built, I find people are clueless about what a Tesla, or an EV in general is.

Reactions: dmurphy
It’s fascinating to see how widely the price of both electricity and gas varies across the different members on this forum. With electricity at .10/kWh or less and gas approaching $5.00/gallon in California, I scratch my head on why anyone would buy anything but a Tesla. But at .47/kWh and gas prices below $3.00 in other locations, the numbers look very different.

I get a lot of silly questions from my friends and neighbors about the Tesla. You still need to put gas in it right? What happens if the battery dies on the freeway? Why would I want to pay for electricity to drive a car?

If Tesla spent some more money on marketing to educate consumers I think they would sell a lot more cars. Even in California, where Tesla vehicles are built, I find people are clueless about what a Tesla, or an EV in general is.

You are 100% correct! I get the same questions, concerns and even hate from folks who say varied things from:

“Elon Musk is a criminal con artist”
to
“Electric cars are a fad”
to
“That’s stupid, the batteries are going to die”
to
“310 miles? That’s not even usable”

and every other inconceivable thing one can imagine.

But what I find is that *most* people are just curious about it. Then I show them how an SR+ costs less than an Accord and suddenly ... they’re intrigued.

The kWh/gasoline pricing thing is the big wildcard. Here in NJ, we’re blessed with fairly low electric and still fairly low gasoline prices. But the cost curve is still wildly in my favor, and I expect that to remain so ... given how many Teslas I see daily here (I’ve stopped counting) - others do too.

Reactions: OCR1
$.09/kwh all day every day, which is pretty nice. Unfortunately, the Iowa legislature is in talks of adding an EV registration up-tax of $100-150.....you know, on top of the $500+ it costs each year anyway. Just throw it on the pile of taxes we pay here in this state without getting much in return.
Everyone needs to be aware of utility companies (like MidAmerican Energy, owned by Warren Buffett/BRK) that are currently trying to influence Iowa legislators (via utility lobbyists) to greatly increase monthly demand charges (paid upfront each month by homeowners, regardless of kWh usage) on those with home solar! It’s a very sneaky way to steal away any savings from solar, AFTER you spend tens of thousands to produce your own clean energy. Buffett pulled this same trick after BRK Energy bought NV Energy and chased Solar City out of Nevada. Be vocal and try to stop these electric monopolies from doing this in your state!!

Everyone needs to be aware of utility companies (like MidAmerican Energy, owned by Warren Buffett/BRK) that are currently trying to influence Iowa legislators (via utility lobbyists) to greatly increase monthly demand charges (paid upfront each month by homeowners, regardless of kWh usage) on those with home solar! It’s a very sneaky way to steal away any savings from solar, AFTER you spend tens of thousands to produce your own clean energy. Buffett pulled this same trick after BRK Energy bought NV Energy and chased Solar City out of Nevada. Be vocal and try to stop these electric monopolies from doing this in your state!!

Yeah, I'm guessing MidAmerican is behind the local TV ads I've been seeing that are purportedly from the "REAL Coalition" although this "coalition" will not and does not say who is bankrolling them.

Their anti-solar TV ads are very misleading and I've been harassing them on their FB site about it for a while now, with no response from them, of course. The reality is that all MidAmerican customers pay a monthly up front grid access fee, as you mention, and all customers should continue paying the same fee. If they have a problem with solar customers as things are I see two possible solutions for them:

1. Don't "buy-back" power from solar users when their panels are generating more power than is being used by the household. As I've done more research on the issue, I've found that this is their main hangup. Solar users generate more than they use during the day and sell that overage back, then use power from the grid at night. Just make it a one-way power stream. I don't know a ton about home solar setups but I would think those households could get something like a power wall to store the power they generate for using later, if they so choose.

2. Increase the standard monthly grid access fee for ALL utility subscribers, period. If their concern is truly with being able to maintain the viability and safety of the power grid and having the funds to do so, then just raise the rates for all customers. Don't try blaming it on solar users - that's disingenuous.

Where I live in Texas we have competitive retail electricity sales. A year ago I found a rate that was $28 + taxes every month if you stayed below 1,000 kWh. Guess what. I've been billed $28 every month for the past year. I took delivery of my Model 3 Sept 28, 2018 so I have paid nothing for the electricity to power it except a few Supercharger sessions.

I can't find that rate (even called the company) and so the best I could find for me was straight $0.09/kWh no customer charge + taxes. And that is a 36 month contract.

Here's the website. It may be interesting for those outside Texas as well.
Power To Choose | Home

You'll need a Texas zip code as rates vary so look at a zip code map or use mine (76040).
I live near DFW airport for reference.