Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much gas needs to cost that EV is cheaper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how is it possible for low income people who can't afford EV to afford gas at $40-60 for full tank. But not be able to afford an EV, that could essentially making driving way cheaper? I thought at some point, people would realize EV is cheaper, go buy EVs, and then gas stations would start lowering their price or going outta business because everyone decided they don't wanna pay $4 gallon to go 20-40 miles. But it seems some people are still driving piece of crap gas cars and still can afford $40-60 for tank of gas every week. At some point, wouldn't EV make sense for low income people, or anyone that just wants to save money? What if gas was $10 / gallon, making it $150 per full tank, I think some parts of Europe are around that.

If someone buys a $1000 car, it be like 16 fill ups and they already spent more on gas than the actual car. So even if you buy a piece of crap car, you can't buy piece of crap gas. Well you can, but its only like 20-40 cents cheaper at $3-4 gallon and that's enough to be a bargain.

I don't really know how to calculate how much it costs to charge my EV, but I always charge at night and live in OC Southern CA. My SCE electric bill is on autopay so I don't really check it, but it's usually $200-300 month. But that's for everything, so the EV is only a part of it, but I have no idea what percent is my EV charging.

Seems like you can get a used EV for around $5000
Autotrader - page unavailable

Quite a privileged opinion. $100 or so in gas a month, compared to 500-700 a month in car payment.

So how is it possible for low income people who can't afford EV to afford gas at $40-60 for full tank. But not be able to afford an EV, that could essentially making driving way cheaper? I thought at some point, people would realize EV is cheaper, go buy EVs, and then gas stations would start lowering their price or going outta business because everyone decided they don't wanna pay $4 gallon to go 20-40 miles. But it seems some people are still driving piece of crap gas cars and still can afford $40-60 for tank of gas every week. At some point, wouldn't EV make sense for low income people, or anyone that just wants to save money? What if gas was $10 / gallon, making it $150 per full tank, I think some parts of Europe are around that.

If someone buys a $1000 car, it be like 16 fill ups and they already spent more on gas than the actual car. So even if you buy a piece of crap car, you can't buy piece of crap gas. Well you can, but its only like 20-40 cents cheaper at $3-4 gallon and that's enough to be a bargain.

I don't really know how to calculate how much it costs to charge my EV, but I always charge at night and live in OC Southern CA. My SCE electric bill is on autopay so I don't really check it, but it's usually $200-300 month. But that's for everything, so the EV is only a part of it, but I have no idea what percent is my EV charging.

Electricity is already FAR cheaper than Gas.

The cost of an EV is higher than an ICE car in some cases, but to answer your question Electricity is far cheaper than GAS.

Don't mix the price of Electricity with the price of the cars. <------ Those are 2 different discussions.

We can ask you the same question as how can you continue to pay the power company $200-$300 each month and not have gone solar? We should be careful judge and it looks like I broke my own rule here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2012MS85