Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Much Noise Do Teslas Make?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question comes up alot. I did a test with my wife's Lexus. At a slow speed I did not hear the engine AT ALL. Just tire noise. My point is luxury cars do their best to keep engine noise out of the cabin. These same noise canceling techniques can keep the engine noise so quiet outside the car

I'd think at 20-30 MPH a Tesla might be pretty close in noise to a premium ICE whose engine is just loafing along. Mostly tire noise. I don't always hear a difference when a Tesla drives by locally.
In the parking lot a Tesla would be quieter, with no engine idling and no tire noise.
Under acceleration is the biggest difference. I just get a bit of tire scrubbing, but an ICE will sound loud (maybe even intentionally). That frees me to use it a little more without attracting unwanted attention.

lots of ratteling when not driven on a smooth road. But on a smooth road you just great the tires and wind.

Rattels from truck, rear seats, rear deck, headliner between the top and rear windows, the occasional door rattle and wind noise from the front windshield near the mirrors.