Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much noise is too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read various threads about wind noise encroaching into the car at high speeds but wasn't sure if it's a problem Tesla can fix?

I have a Sept 2015 70D with OEM everything which I've loved since the first drive. The only thing I have to complain about (for which I'm thankful for considering some of the issues others have had) is the car lets in a LOT of noise when traveling 60+ MPH. It is so loud I am constantly reaching for the window buttons to make sure a window isn't cracked and it's not. It's so loud that I bump my audio volume +2 and then have to turn it down when I slow down because then it's too loud. So what's the deal? Is this just something that Teslas are known for or can this be fixed?

The noise I have is totally from the interaction between the tires and the pavement. If I'm on one of the few smooth stretches of highway it's very silent, otherwise not so much. I did have some wind noise from the triangle window when I first got the car but Tesla fixed that up and it hasn't reappeared in three years.

There isn't much Tesla can do about the road/tire noise other than add more sound insulation. Some owners have done this on their own and report a significant decrease in volume.

I understand that there is some motor noise from the front motor in the D versions. I don't have a D so I can't comment on how bad it is (I suspect it's insignificant compared to the road/tire noise).

I've complained (multiple times) about the wind noise in my 2013 MS and have the same problem in my 2015. They've either not been able to reproduce it or say it was within specs. It's possible that I'm actually hearing wind noise through the glass caused by air flowing over/around the side mirror--but like you, I reach for the window switch a lot to make sure it's closed. Only happens >60 MPH. Still hoping they find a solution.

I can certainly understand tire/road noise which I had in all my other previous cars but i'm sure my hearing is telling me that it's louder around the cabin and sounds like wind noise rather than engine or road.

I am debating whether I reach out to SC and try to bring the car in which is no guarantee of any kind. cgiGuy, what did they consider "within spec"? Did they have something to measure the noise in the cabin?