Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How NOT to Sell a Luxury Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2018 I purchased a Model 3 with autopilot. The car blew me away with its sleek engineering. I sold the 3 after purchasing a 2021.5 Model S long range on September 30th. I had placed the order in June and was told it would arrive between mid-October and mid-November. I was quite surprised when I got the email notifying me that my car was ready for pickup on Sep 25. Not having seen anything about the car except for what I gleaned from the web, I wanted to test drive the thing. Not possible, buy it then you can drive it! What?!?! Are there any other car companies out there that do that? OK, I live in California and wanted the front license plate holder removed. Not possible, California law demands you have a front license plate. Does it not occur to Tesla that http://www.licenseplatewrap.com is a California approved alternative license plate provider that offers a much nicer looking license?

Now I find out there is a difference between autopilot and autopilot. On my Model 3 while engaged, the car would change lanes as I indicated with my turn signal. Not so with my expensive new Model S. I got a stirpped down version of autopilot that amounts to nothing more than cruise control. If I want the lane changing feature, I need to pony up the $10k for full self-driving capability! Bottom line: I should have kept my Model 3 and would now be $50k ahead.

You do not need to buy FSD to get lane changing, you had, and probably need Enhanced Autopilot. Look in the upgrades section of the phone app, and you can probably buy this upgrade right now. Several cars come to mind where you can't drive it until after you get it are expensive and limited production cars. The Teslas are all sold now before arrival. My 2014 AMG Mercedes had holes drilled in the front bumper by the factory for the required front license plate in Europe. I had to leave it on, or repair those darned holes. The manufacturer doesn't really care. Do you think they would develop a different front plate holder for California? PS - I couldn't drive my AMG until I got it. There weren't any anywhere near where I live.

On my Model 3 while engaged, the car would change lanes as I indicated with my turn signal. Not so with my expensive new Model S. I got a stirpped down version of autopilot that amounts to nothing more than cruise control.
You paid extra for that on your Model 3, why would you think you don't have to pay extra for that on the Model S? (Sure you used to be able to buy EAP, that contains that feature, for half the price of FSD, so it does cost more to get the feature now.)

Reactions: doubleshot
Personally, I wouldn’t be worried by those two things. There are threads on this forum that, if you had read them, would have told you that auto-lane change with turn signal does not come on the standard auto-pilot. There are also videos that show you how to remove the front license plate bracket so you can then put on your license plate wrap.
Like you, I have ordered a new S without FSD and will trade in my 2020 Model 3 which does have FSD. I wish Tesla would simply transfer the FSD from one car to another - but it does not. At this stage of development, I don’t think FSD is worth the $10K; in a few years when it is, I’ll trade in for a new model.

Reactions: Issaction
In 2018 I purchased a Model 3 with autopilot. The car blew me away with its sleek engineering. I sold the 3 after purchasing a 2021.5 Model S long range on September 30th. I had placed the order in June and was told it would arrive between mid-October and mid-November. I was quite surprised when I got the email notifying me that my car was ready for pickup on Sep 25. Not having seen anything about the car except for what I gleaned from the web, I wanted to test drive the thing. Not possible, buy it then you can drive it! What?!?! Are there any other car companies out there that do that? OK, I live in California and wanted the front license plate holder removed. Not possible, California law demands you have a front license plate. Does it not occur to Tesla that http://www.licenseplatewrap.com is a California approved alternative license plate provider that offers a much nicer looking license?

Now I find out there is a difference between autopilot and autopilot. On my Model 3 while engaged, the car would change lanes as I indicated with my turn signal. Not so with my expensive new Model S. I got a stirpped down version of autopilot that amounts to nothing more than cruise control. If I want the lane changing feature, I need to pony up the $10k for full self-driving capability! Bottom line: I should have kept my Model 3 and would now be $50k ahead.
Or just spend the $199 per month for FSD. The Model S is so much nicer than the Model 3.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
Agree. They sell luxury PRICED cars.

Ehhhh....they don't sell luxury cars. The S has the power of a hyper car with the luxury of a Camry. Comparing a new S to a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7 Series or Porsche Panamera will leave you depressed. Not to say it hasn't improved for the S since 2012 - it abso-freaking-lutely has, but it's still a mid-grade interior.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Im confused...you do not think the S is far superior than the 3??

How could you be 50k ahead? Do you not think the S retains any value?

If you hate it, sell it,...in this market im sure you will get close to your purchase price.

Reactions: AvengerBB
Ehhhh....they don't sell luxury cars. The S has the power of a hyper car with the luxury of a Camry. Comparing a new S to a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7 Series or Porsche Panamera will leave you depressed. Not to say it hasn't improved for the S since 2012 - it abso-freaking-lutely has, but it's still a mid-grade interior.
I agree completely. A Mercedes C class is more luxurious.
But I love my new S LR more than I loved my AMG-GTS. Oh and the LR
Is quicker than the AMG-GTS

I agree completely. A Mercedes C class is more luxurious.
But I love my new S LR more than I loved my AMG-GTS. Oh and the LR
Is quicker than the AMG-GTS

Agreed x2. I Love my S, mainly for the technology and power. It's a great car. But if all you're into is luxury, the interior is definitely 'adequate' , but lacking luxury even compared to my previous 20 year old E39 M5.

I have checked several times now and the $5000 lane change capability that I had in my Model 3 is not available on my Model S. The only option offered is FSD fro $10k.

Yeah, they used to have multiple “steps” to buy up to FSD. Then they realized FSD sales were down so they just wrapped it up in an ‘all or nothing’ model.

Basic autopilot is perfection fine for 99% if folks, especially for $10k.

Tesla doesn't sell luxury cars.
This is true. Tesla sells high tech cars that run on battery power instead of polluting gasoline, need little if any maintenance, are quick as a scared cat, look gorgeous, and leads the world in electric car sales. If you want a "luxury car", you'd have to check out cadillac's Lyriq (or the Hyundai Ioniq -- where did these people learn to spell??!!), which has 3/4 the range of my S and probably won't fit in my garage. Personally, buying a "luxury" car is not always the best choice, as my cheap hundred thousand dollar Model S is often called a "luxury car" by the incognoscenti when I give them rides and drives.

Cadillac has always confused "luxury" with "BIG". Basically what they sell is a fancied-up GMC.

Reactions: HankLloydRight