Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model X for a little over a week now. Love all the things that we love about them. I have had to reset the touchscreen twice though (couldn’t access the owner’s manual, the nav no longer recognized where I was, etc.).

How often do you find that you have to reset your MX?

It varies with Software rev. TBH, very 42.2 has not been all that swift. I have had to reset mine several times in the last week. I am guessing the next version will clean that up a bit. Some versions are solid as a rock. Fortunately, none have made me stop driving. But it can be annoying when the entire dash goes dark while driving (mine did that yesterday). Sometimes multiple resets are required to bring things fully back.

Between my wife and I we had to reset 3 times this past week. 1 time was when she was driving into work and the message 'power off' showed up on the dashboard, both screens went black, and then the car went from 5 mphs (in traffic) to a stop with no response from the accelerator.

The other 2 times were actually from one incident when I was picking up the kids from school. Had one kid in the other on the way to pick up the other and I looked to have the similar 'power off' message come up but this time the screens froze and thankfully the car was still responsive in regards to driving. I reset it once while driving and then the screen came up frozen again and with an incorrect time. I finally parked and when I tried to push the frozen map on the center console screen, the FWD ended up opening! The screen was frozen on the map but looks like it was actually receiving inputs for the doors screen (which it was not displaying). I called roadside assistance and they had me reset again - said there was nothing on their end indicating the car was not safe to drive.

Between my wife and I we had to reset 3 times this past week. 1 time was when she was driving into work and the message 'power off' showed up on the dashboard, both screens went black, and then the car went from 5 mphs (in traffic) to a stop with no response from the accelerator.

How did your wife recover from this? It is really bad if the car actually stops. I’ve had system crashes, but I’ve always been to drive.

How did your wife recover from this? It is really bad if the car actually stops. I’ve had system crashes, but I’ve always been to drive.
The good news was that since she was in 5 mph stop and go traffic getting onto a bridge, it was safer than if cars were blazing past her at 60+ mph. She said the car stopped and she initially flagged cars to just go around through the window. She said the hazard lights did not work either but I've heard they should always work but because of the screens /power being down the 'audible' clicking sound of the hazards was not heard but the lights should still have been flashing. She used the two scroll button reset which reset the screens and she said she was not sure if that actually fixed it or if that was just a coincidence. Within the minute or two she said she was back up and running. Service center appointment is not until another week so i'll be crossing my fingers and testing. Tesla says the car is safe to drive based on the info on their side.....