Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does the car check for updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, ever since day one I have had to manually check for the software update in my car. I have yet to receive a notification on my iOS device that an update is available and to download.

Car Software settings:
- Advanced - ON

Home Network:
- EERO Home mesh Wifi - 4 Solid Bars in Car

Troubleshooting steps attempted:
- Soft rebooted car - issue unresolved
- Hard rebooted car - issue unresolved
- Powered-off - issue unresolved
- Chatted Tesla and they "re-pushed the signal" for updates. Sounded kinda bullsh** but I went with it. - issue unresolved

I have TeslaFi and can track when the BIG push to all cars comes rolling out. When this happens I wait 1-2 days and receive nothing on my iOS device or car infotainment system. When I check for updates BOOM it says there is an update and begins to download if I'm home.

The above just happened today with 2020.4.1. Once I checked my car the update was available, but I never received a notification about updating on my iOS device.

Does anyone have a similar issue or any additional troubleshooting steps I could perform?

Sometimes, maybe, you have to give things time to occur.
Since manually checking for updates is a new feature, that suggests to me that you are way too anxious for it to occur.
When an update is ready, you should see a message when you get in the car.

How often does it check, Not really sure, just chill a little bit, updates will come when they want to, not before.

Reactions: outdoors
When this happens I wait 1-2 days and receive nothing on my iOS device or car infotainment system.
1-2 days is not "waiting" - It used to be much worse - there was no way to manually check, you just had no choice but to wait. People would try all kinds of crazy stuff to try "force" it to check... Then they released the "Advanced" feature which is supposed be an opt-in to get the updates sooner, but there's no evidence that that's the case because many poeple who have two or more Teslas with some on Advanced and some on Standard seems to still be arbitrary as to which gets it first. Then they introduced the manual check.

So my guess is there is some schedule your car will check in if you do nothing - maybe once a day, once a week, whatever. They probably randomize it a bit to avoid server slams. They also make cars eligible for the update in batches, to again avoid server slams. So, if your car has been marked as eligible but it hasn't hit it's natural time to check in, you manually checking will show the update.

I knew the 2020.4.1 was rolling out the past few days... when I would get in the car in the morning, I would go to the software tab just to check. Nothing available... then last night when I got in the car to come home from work, I had the yellow "update waiting" icon.

if you look at TeslaFi, it takes weeks before it rolls out to everyone. Sometimes you get it right away, sometimes it takes a day or two, sometimes it's a week or two. There's really not much you can do.