Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How pairing at Supercharging works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on ambient temperature another way is to listen to the car's front fans. Those taking a big charge will have those jet engine sounds going. Avoid the pair for that stall. And another way is to feel the cable temperature of the charging cars. If it's hot also avoid the paired stall. I've used this technique when there are no open unpaired stalls. The cable thing doesn't work so well on high-usage SuC locations though. The cables are almost always hot.

I was kinda surprised on this last road trip that a number of cars were just sitting there plugged in, cold cables, obviously not charging. One even had snow in front of it that had fallen off the hood from the previous overnight snowfall. These were not > 50% SuC locations so I suppose no idle charges were happening. but curious anyway.

Fortunately with V3 being the Tesla standard for new sites going forward, this will become less of an issue over time. V3 load balances on the DC side, with all cabinets working together. Their is no A/B concern. Too bad it is not practical to retrofit older sites.
A bit OT, is there any threads or documents that describe V3 load balancing system? Of course I'm in Japan so never seen them and may never see in the future. Heard that they need 1MW grid connection for four stall V3 supercharger.

I have not seen any documents on this. I got this information from a Tesla, presentation I attended. This new generation of SC are made in their Buffalo Giga factory, which will be giving a talk and tours on April 20th, if not cancelled because of covid 19 virus. So there could be more info at that time. They balance loads on the DC charging side, rather than the AC supply side, with all cabinets and charging stations working together across all vehicles. Very few vehicles would be capable of taking the maximum, because of SOC and battery temperature.
I don’t think any other DCFC use this new more efficient architecture.
They prefer a 1-2 MW utility transformer. In Canada, they are building these new charging stations at quite an aggressive rate, as Tesla’s are very popular here.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy