Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how safe do you feel with basic autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not sure of your response, but my point is auto wipers is working well and now I dont have to think about turning on the wipers in rain
validates Tesla's minimalistic design which I love
VW, due their UI software mess they cannot figure out, has just announced adding button back in, doubt auto wipers works will for them also
the comment as minimalist vs buttons
glad in a tesla we dont have buttons

• Disagree
Reactions: hgmichna and ph0ton
not sure of your response, but my point is auto wipers is working well and now I dont have to think about turning on the wipers in rain
VW, due their UI software mess they cannot figure out, has just announced adding button back in, doubt auto wipers works will for them also
Autowipers are still broken for most people in various forums.

That's another issue with Tesla, the software appears to work dramatically different depending on the individual car.

I was curious how VW is failing. Sounds like they have a UI problem, but do their auto wipers actually fail, or is it just difficult to access them in a messy UI?

I have M3 and My both on 5.1 and auto wipers is working well on both
As I just said, it wasn't a fleet wide fix, despite the same software.

I have 2 MYs and a 22 MS and was driving today in pouring rain and the wipers didn't turn on.

Auto-wipers, even when "fixed" a few months ago are worse on Teslas than other vehicles, but many are still reporting that it's still broken for them.

2015 MS, auto wipers working fine. About the same as on my 750li.

Several posts here claim basic autopilot can't change lanes without disconnecting, but it can! Just put on your turn signal and it will automatically change lanes when clear to do so. Only changes one lane at a time though. You have to turn off the blinker and turn it back on for each lane you want to move over.

I trust basic AP on the highway and in stop and go traffic, but it gets sketchy quick if:
1. There is any type of construction
2. There is a close concrete barrier on the left side of the lane (drifts towards it even while the radar sensors are showing yellow and red)
3. There are any significant curves (gentle curves are no problem).

Sometimes it doesn't center in the lane. It tends to be too far to the right. When you have a semi in that lane, it gets un-nerving. Usually you can move over and reset it and it will be fine.

Regarding the latest updates (which I installed), I can't really tell much difference in the AP. It nags me about the same, and the nag can still be easily defeated with some light weight on the steering wheel.

I've heard you can use your cell phone as the weight and wrap it to the steering wheel with the charging cord. 🥸

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: hgmichna
2015 MS, auto wipers working fine. About the same as on my 750li.

Several posts here claim basic autopilot can't change lanes without disconnecting, but it can! Just put on your turn signal and it will automatically change lanes when clear to do so. Only change one lane at a time though. You have to turn off the blinker and turn it back on for each lane you want to move over.

"2015 MS" ... so having absolutely nothing to do with anything that is being talked about, right? A 2015 MS has a rain sensor. A 2015 MS has "Autopilot with convenience features" features provided by Mobileye. "Autopilot with convenience features" is not the basic Autopilot people are talking about.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
"2015 MS" ... so having absolutely nothing to do with anything that is being talked about, right? A 2015 MS has a rain sensor. A 2015 MS has "Autopilot with convenience features" features provided by Mobileye. "Autopilot with convenience features" is not the basic Autopilot people are talking about.
Yes, my 2015 S was much better than my 2022 S.
Tesla doesn't seem to be able to reproduce the features of the MobileEye system from 8 years ago.

On the MY with HW4.... After a sunny daytime drive and a rainy nightime drive with the newest update I feel better about it. Speed control and turning though intersections were improved and even wipers were perfect. No phantom breaking. I still turned it off when I got into town tonight, but cautious optimism for the first time in forever. That note covers a mix of AP and FSD.

Otoh, the parking visualizations are just laughable. If that is really what the cameras see we are in trouble.

Reactions: ph0ton and Dewg