Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla Charges Idle Fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lolwut? Where did they promise to let you idle at the superchargers for free?
Where did they clarify what uses I was allowed to use the supercharger for? Free for life means I could park there 24/7/365 if I wanted. The car is still connected and drawing power, even if only for the onboard computers and climate control.
I am not responsible for fixing their poor business decisions.

Now I'm not a jerk, I don't charge when I don't need it, and I don't leave my car at the charger longer than I have to, but I also don't interrupt my meal to walk 2 blocks back to the 8 stall charger that I'm the only occupant of, and I'm not going to start now.

Where did they clarify what uses I was allowed to use the supercharger for?
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging said:
How much does it cost to use the Superchargers?
Supercharging is free for the life of your Tesla vehicle, once the Supercharger option is enabled.
Umn... free supercharging for life. How much more do you want them to spell it out for you?

Free for life means I could park there 24/7/365 if I wanted.
I am not responsible for fixing their poor business decisions.
Actually that's not what it means, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

@green1 - charging and parking are two very different (legally distinct) things. You were never promised a 24/7/365 parking spot.

Do you think that Tesla shouldn't have addressed the idling issue - or just think that they should've gone about it differently?

Reactions: Max*
Now I'm not a jerk, I don't charge when I don't need it, and I don't leave my car at the charger longer than I have to, but I also don't interrupt my meal to walk 2 blocks back to the 8 stall charger that I'm the only occupant of, and I'm not going to start now.
I missed your edit.

Just to clarify, you wont have to, because if the superchargers are empty, there is no fee. Per a tweet from EM. So you're getting up in arms for no reason really.

No one will be inserting cards for supercharging. Tesla knows what cars are plugged in and when, and will have an automated billing system. Whether it's prepaid or postpaid hasn't been announced yet. What we do know us that it will be frictionless-- you just plug in the car the same as before.

One option that could occur is if you incur enough fees (say $100) then they could disable your Vin # from any more supercharging until you pay your back-fees.

They won't get a single cent out of me for it, That I can guarantee.

They can feel free to change the deal for new customers. But they have no legal right to make retroactive changes to existing customers. That's not how the law works.

They never ever told anyone that they could park in a supercharger spot after charging was ended. The comment "free supercharging for life" somehow intimates you will be charging. If your car has charged, you are now parking, not charging. I don't think your case would stand up in court, but it is even more interesting that you think Tesla is doing something illegal when trying to get people who are NOT charging to move their cars so someone else needing a charge can use the charger. There is NO CHANGE of any "deal", and you have quite an interesting way of looking at this issue.

Reactions: Max*
@green1 - charging and parking are two very different (legally distinct) things. You were never promised a 24/7/365 parking spot.

Do you think that Tesla shouldn't have addressed the idling issue - or just think that they should've gone about it differently?
Tesla needs to start thinking before promising. There are now probably a hundred or more promisses that Tesla has made on one subject or another that they have broken, most they likely never intended to keep in the first place.

It's not my problem if they make a poor business decision and promise something they shouldn't. it's THEIR problem to deliver on what they promised.

They never ever told anyone that they could park in a supercharger spot after charging was ended. The comment "free supercharging for life" somehow intimates you will be charging. If your car has charged, you are now parking, not charging. I don't think your case would stand up in court, but it is even more interesting that you think Tesla is doing something illegal when trying to get people who are NOT charging to move their cars so someone else needing a charge can use the charger. There is NO CHANGE of any "deal", and you have quite an interesting way of looking at this issue.
Then YOU can feel free to pay whatever fees you want.

I never agreed to any fees of any form for supercharging when I was offered the option. so I won't be paying any fees.

If they want to take me to court to try to collect, they can. But that is exactly what it will take, and I don't think their odds of winning that court case would be very high.

Tesla needs to start thinking before promising. There are now probably a hundred or more promisses that Tesla has made on one subject or another that they have broken, most they likely never intended to keep in the first place.

It's not my problem if they make a poor business decision and promise something they shouldn't. it's THEIR problem to deliver on what they promised.

I would like someone, maybe you, to show me a list of these "promises" and the original promise. I have seen where Elon mentions that he will get the M3 or X or S in production at a certain time, and some people get all excited because he's incorrect. Most people who deal with businesses realize that some things are not promises, but what the business would like to do. Most of us here a) never felt that supercharging was a promise, b) feel that Elon and team do amazing things, and have plans for more. This is sort of like demanding that AP1 take you door to door because Elon once said that such ability was his eventual plan.

It is not their problem to deliver. You have to prove that it was a promise, and you have to prove they reneged. You probably ought to talk to your lawyer, because I'm sure Tesla has talked to theirs.

Well the only thing they legally can do there is stop the bleeding by changing the rules for NEW owners, nothing they can do about existing ones. That's their mistake that they should have thought about 4 years ago.
Are you a lawyer? If not, you can't determine what's legal and what's not.

I would like someone, maybe you, to show me a list of these "promises" and the original promise. I have seen where Elon mentions that he will get the M3 or X or S in production at a certain time, and some people get all excited because he's incorrect. Most people who deal with businesses realize that some things are not promises, but what the business would like to do. Most of us here a) never felt that supercharging was a promise, b) feel that Elon and team do amazing things, and have plans for more. This is sort of like demanding that AP1 take you door to door because Elon once said that such ability was his eventual plan.

It is not their problem to deliver. You have to prove that it was a promise, and you have to prove they reneged. You probably ought to talk to your lawyer, because I'm sure Tesla has talked to theirs.
Summon meeting you at the door was listed on the Tesla website for a long time, with AP1 hardware, and it was never realize, and I don't think it will be.

But you're right, a lot of reasons people are pissed are empty promises from the CEO. 4 port USB, internal hard drive for music storage, on-ramp to off-ramp capability, 691HP (which the Norwegians sued, and won), 0-60 times (3.1 seconds, and then 2.8 seconds), summon meeting you at the door, etc. etc. etc.

And I'm willing to bet that there'll be an AP3.0 for full autonomous driving. That the current hardware suite will not be capable enough of it. And it'll be swept under the rug.

I'm sad that you truly believe that only lawyers are allowed to read and understand the law. It is a very sad commentary on society if normal people are not expected to even know what the law is, or if their actions may contravene it.
And I'm sad that you don't understand the difference between charging and idling and that Tesla isn't breaking a promise, and that you have no grounds to sue them.