Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge between Santee, SC and Leicester, NC - 230 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to drive from Fort Lauderdale, to Leicester, NC on June 6th. It looks like there are superchargers all the way up to Santee, SC, but then I need to find somewhere to charge between there and Leicester, NC. Just outside of Asheville, NC. 230 miles and a few mountains in between.

I have the P85. I'm thinking Spartanburg, SC would be the ideal place to charge, but I'm looking for suggestions on the fastest way to charge with the best distraction available while charging. Good shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. available to pass the time. How many extra miles of charge do you recommend?

I need to drive from Fort Lauderdale, to Leicester, NC on June 6th. It looks like there are superchargers all the way up to Santee, SC, but then I need to find somewhere to charge between there and Leicester, NC. Just outside of Asheville, NC. 230 miles and a few mountains in between.

I have the P85. I'm thinking Spartanburg, SC would be the ideal place to charge, but I'm looking for suggestions on the fastest way to charge with the best distraction available while charging. Good shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. available to pass the time. How many extra miles of charge do you recommend?
If it were me I would prefer to adjust my speed rather than spend hours at a low-volt charger. 230 miles is doable in a P85 if you can hold your speed in check.

The elevation change from Santee to Asheville area is going to mostly preclude doing this nonstop. That blue ridge escarpment will be pretty harsh, plus lots of rolling hills between Columbia and there. I'd expect the Greenville supercharger will be done by then, based on the progress. It's then a straight shot up HWY 25 to Hendersonville and back on to 26.

I did Santee, SC to Hickory, NC (205 miles) without any issue a couple of weeks ago... was around 305 Wh/mi. Heading further west through the mountains will be a little more challenging, but I did Burlington, NC to Canton, NC (west of Asheville) without issue, and I was able to keep it around 310 Wh/mi with some basic hypermiling techniques, which are easy to do in the Model S! Charged at J1772 charger in Asheville at a Mercedes dealership for a while to get back to my family location.

There is a HPWC (full 80A) installed at the family stop there in Hickory now and the garage can be accessed with a PIN if no one is around. (Security cams and all, so, no funny business! ;) ) Recently added it to plugshare, but not sure if it showed up yet. You could probably use it if needed for your trip. I actually may be there June 6-8.

Taking it easy really makes a difference. I avoid the interstate when possible, even before getting the Model S, just because it generally enforces a more relaxed ride.

Last edited: