Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge friends / family / roommates for EV home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering for people who have a home with a Tesla wall charger or any home EV charging. Or visiting a host with an EV charger. What courtesy should be done when it comes to the cost of charging when you have a guest with an EV, or staying at someone's house. My guess its about $20 for a normal charge of around 80%-100%.

I live in Lake Forest CA and use SCE. This is there prices but I don't know which one it is exactly.

If it's a close family member like mom/dad or sibling should you just let them charge for free? If it's a friend but like a friend you split the tab evenly, should they invite you to a $20 dinner or give you a $20 bill or bring a gift? Or what if it's a longer stay arrangement like roommates you are charging rent, how do you charge them accordingly?

Right now the only thing I am doing in the near future is going to my friend's parents house in Phoenix AZ and they will let me stay for free. They don't have an EV charger so I am asking to use their 110V outlet (normal plug). Mainly because there are no superchargers near their house and I wanna top off as much as I can without being forced to go outta my way to charge. I just rather buy my friend a sit down dinner and some fast food for the favor of staying over. And cover the cost of all supercharging. Should that be fair?

Most people would let their friends charge a cell phone for free. But what about an EV? How do you decide this kind of stuff?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
....Most people would let their friends charge a cell phone for free. But what about an EV? How do you decide this kind of stuff?

The battery size for Samsung S21 Ultra 5G is 19.4 Wh or 0.0194 kWh

So to use the most expensive rate from SCE at $0.59 / kWh as the cost to charge from empty to full for the cell phone is:

$0.59 / kWh x 0.0194 kWh = $0.011446. That's slightly over 1 cent and under 2 cents.

Comparing a free cell phone charge to an EV charge is not fair.

1639812757920.png

...Just wondering...

If you follow this thread:

A sample of Northern CA Supercharger is $0.38/kWh and Souther CA is $0.37/kWh

Let's use the highest cost above and let's round the Model 3 LR battery to 80 kW then the cost for each empty to full charge is:

$0.38/kWh x 80 kWh=$30.40

If you are on a tight budget, I would disclose that fact and give the warning that it would be $30 per day to pay for the cost. 5 days means a whopping $150!

In a relationship, it's best to have clear rules and see the how other side would agree or would want to negotiate.

Sometimes people have to pay to buy a relationship as in lobbyists who are willing to pay to get access to people in power.

In summary, it should be fine either to charge your relatives and friends or not as long as both sides understand what are the expectations.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: morbidz and Rocky_H
The battery size for Samsung S21 Ultra 5G is 19.4 Wh or 0.0194 kWh

So to use the most expensive rate from SCE at $0.59 / kWh as the cost to charge from empty to full for the cell phone is:

$0.59 / kWh x 0.0194 kWh = $0.011446. That's slightly over 1 cent and under 2 cents.

Comparing a free cell phone charge to an EV charge is not fair.

View attachment 745505

If you follow this thread:

A sample of Northern CA Supercharger is $0.38/kWh and Souther CA is $0.37/kWh

Let's use the highest cost above and let's round the Model 3 LR battery to 80 kW then the cost for each empty to full charge is:

$0.38/kWh x 80 kWh=$30.40

If you are on a tight budget, I would disclose that fact and give the warning that it would be $30 per day to pay for the cost. 5 days means a whopping $150!

In a relationship, it's best to have clear rules and see the how other side would agree or would want to negotiate.

Sometimes people have to pay to buy a relationship as in lobbyists who are willing to pay to get access to people in power.

In summary, it should be fine either to charge your relatives and friends or not as long as both sides understand what are the expectations.
Your calculation of ~$150 assumes the car’s battery will be fully depleted from a full charge every day for 5 days. Who drives over 250 miles daily when visiting someone?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Since this OP states that they are going to be staying at someones house "for free" they likely want to give that person at least $50 a week if they plan on "staying plugged in on 120V as much as possible to avoid having to supercharge".

Otherwise, when this friend gets their electric bill (or whomever gets it who is responsible for it) and sees an increase in their bill of $100 to 150 for the month, possibly pushing their electric usage into another tier, etc, there will likely be some "hard" conversations.

Its no where near the same as charging a phone in someones home, as was already pointed out, complete with math / numbers.

Do one of these things:

1. Avoid that "hard" conversation all together and NEVER plug into the friends home, so they cant blame you for any bill increase, or
2. Offer to pay for the difference in electricity usage pre your arrival and after (but that comes with the chances you may end up paying extra for some of their usage, or
3. Offer to pay them like $60 a week for electricity, especially since you are "staying for free". Ensure this payment goes to the person actually paying the electric bill. If your staying at a friends house but their parents pay the bill, that money needs to go to the parents, or whoever is paying the electric bill.

If it were me, I would do #3, because that has the least chance of causing a problem and possibly ruining a friendship, and also shows consideration for the people who are letting you stay somewhere "for free".

Your calculation of ~$150 assumes the car’s battery will be fully depleted from a full charge every day for 5 days. Who drives over 250 miles daily when visiting someone?
Maybe none but to calculate the cost, it's done at the highest cost, worst scenario to the homeowner's advantage, then it's up to the homeowner to apply the discount to the relatives and friends. SCE's cheapest rate for a homeowner with TOU-D-Prime is $0.19 which is much cheaper, 3 times less than the $0.59.

GAHHH! Why did you start a whole new duplicate thread on this? We've already been discussing it in your existing thread that is about this exact trip you are referring to.
Since this OP states that they are going to be staying at someones house "for free" they likely want to give that person at least $50 a week if they plan on "staying plugged in on 120V as much as possible to avoid having to supercharge".

Otherwise, when this friend gets their electric bill (or whomever gets it who is responsible for it) and sees an increase in their bill of $100 to 150 for the month, possibly pushing their electric usage into another tier, etc, there will likely be some "hard" conversations.
That is utter hogwash. You just can't pull that much energy in that amount of time from a 120V outlet in 5 nights. I already covered it in my comment here in his other existing thread about this trip:
Even at the worst, this could only be about $3 per night. This nonsense of $50 a week or $100 to $150 a month isn't possible from charging nightly from an outlet that can only provide 1.4 kW.

So sure, something is nice. Buying a dinner once would cover the costs for the week.

Reactions: outdoors and brkaus
GAHHH! Why did you start a whole new duplicate thread on this? We've already been discussing it in your existing thread that is about this exact trip you are referring to.

That is utter hogwash. You just can't pull that much energy in that amount of time from a 120V outlet in 5 nights. I already covered it in my comment here in his other existing thread about this trip:
Even at the worst, this could only be about $3 per night. This nonsense of $50 a week or $100 to $150 a month isn't possible from charging nightly from an outlet that can only provide 1.4 kW.

So sure, something is nice. Buying a dinner once would cover the costs for the week.

I didnt do any math at all, considered " a week" to be 7 days, and "how many weeks" wasnt something I saw the OP state. Because of this OPs posting history, I was fairly certain that it was going to be "the friends parents", that were paying for it, and not "the friend", as well.

I tacked on "enough money so the parents would not question it" as a type of "convenience fee" in my head, because I knew that there was no way it would cost $50 or $60 a week to charge, but did not want to bother with actual costs. I figured some number that made the parents understand the Op was being serious about "not costing them any additional money while that tesla is plugged in" would be a good thing to do.

It may only "Cost" dinner, once a week, but when the bill comes and its higher than normal (could be for many reasons, maybe OP brings his gaming PC over and they game all day or something". Could be extra use of heating, etc.... but the very first thing the people paying the bill will think of, is OP and "that tesla they have plugged into the house all the time".

When on 120V at VRBO and friends I have now become more detailed on costs and pay almost exact as I can. Rationale. If I over pay with a $20 and the cost is let's say $5. I have given someone a false idea of what the true cost of power is. I used to say thanks and put a $20 in an envelope, but then realized that might become the expectation of the owner. So I calculate and send an email after I leave. I do many VRBO and really enjoy the 120V as I usually in and around a ski town. As long as I garage I get what I need.

I spend the time to do the power research on the cost. Some wacky calculations we have in this country.

maybe OP brings his gaming PC over and they game all day or something". Could be extra use of heating, etc.... but the very first thing the people paying the bill will think of, is OP and "that tesla they have plugged into the house all the time".
I notice some people seem stuck in this "all day" idea, which you mentioned twice and other people are mentioning too. This isn't 24 hours a day. They are going to be taking the car and gone all day. So maybe 10 or 12 hours a night is all that the car can be plugged in.

I feel bad for you guys with those electricity rates. I pay about $0.09/kWh for electricity, so even assuming an 85% charge efficiency and starting from 20% I'm only looking at a cost of $6.60 to fully charge my Model 3 battery. When I visit my in-laws and use their 120V outlet (assuming even less efficiency) and higher electricity costs I'm still only using about $12-13 of electricity. I usually make sure I give them about $20 for the use of their plug & electricity, which they always refuse, but I insist anyway. They live in a very rural area and get gas delivered to their house, so they usually insisted on filling our tank before we left as well!

Someone coming to my house with an EV is mostly hypothetical at this point, other than my sister who I sold my LEAF to. When she visits I let her plug in gratis because I know she probably needs the charge to make it home (well, not any more--she got a warranty battery replacement and they actually stuck a 40kWh battery in the car, so now she has plenty of range!). At any rate, it's only occasional, only a few bucks, and I'm happy to help out.

If this were a longer term thing, I would probably expect the guest to offer something, and then I would play the refusal game like my in-laws, but I would probably expect some kind of compensation, even if it was a gift rather than cash. It would be fine if none was offered, but I would probably take slight offense at it.

Ya okay. As long as I know it can only be $3 a night to charge (assuming you know its on that electric outlet made for toasters). Then I think if I told my friend's parents that, I don't think they should care. And by night I wanna say 12 hours max to be safe. One dinner will likely be enough to show appreciation to my friend plus I let him stay at my house for free all the time as long as we are gonna do something.

I will buy him $30-40 dinner just for letting me stay for free. Like Fogo De Chou which we will try get lunch rate of $40 / person. And offer a decent gift from my arcade prize collection since my house is overflowing with toys. Sure I can find a toy for parents give to grand kids. And its an opportunity to see other arcades in other states because being an advantage player at the arcades, its very possible to get backed off or banned.

(Story time)

We had a really shitty experience at Bowlero. My card w/ $100 worth of credit got wiped. Then we go to this location that awards iPad Airs (big electronic items) and the manager comes up and yells at me calling me a cheater and says I can't redeem prizes here anymore and storms into her office. They must have finally found out I was profiting 10x on them for the past 6 months and probably caused few / couple thousand dollars worth of loss. I know most of the advantage players in the community and another AP I know tried to redeem some toys and they started accusing him of cheating asking he knows this other AP guy.

So we tried redeeming tickets at another location... I successfully redeem 90k tickets worth of prizes no big deal (which was initially was saved to pay for the iPad). My friend goes after me and tries redeem 90k of tickets on his card, the transaction was accepted, but then the managers stand at the door and refuse to let us leave, and force us to give up the prizes or they would call the police. I recorded it. I was redeeming prizes no big deal for 6 months, but I knew it was risky because my profit margin was insane here like winning $600 iPad Air for $60 & the fact I got backed off by crazy managers and one called the police on me just for winning about 5000 tickets.

So ya this is why I really love Tesla because I never have to worry about gas and profiting off arcades. You have to commute to farther out arcades so you can spread the damage / win other prizes and hopefully sustain your profits. My arcade buddies ask me to drive because its cheaper for me and they will give me some of the prizes.

Last edited:
Huh. Apparently what you mean by "arcades" is totally different than what I was thinking of. I am thinking of the classic 80's bar/arcades, where they have the old machines of Galaga, Double Dragon, Pac-Man, etc. that still take quarters.

Huh. Apparently what you mean by "arcades" is totally different than what I was thinking of. I am thinking of the classic 80's bar/arcades, where they have the old machines of Galaga, Double Dragon, Pac-Man, etc. that still take quarters.
We are advantage players for ticket redemption / arcade prizes. Games have changed since those old 80s machine, like all now giant flat screens, some with motion simulators. And arcades now offer prizes like iPads which I usually go for. And by advantage players, similar to a card counter for black jack being an advantage player, but for ticket redemption arcade games.

But I got a trending tik tok going. This manager took all my friend's prizes away after he redeemed 100k tickets. After he paid for them. Very messy situation but we are trying get it resolved. Have videos of me playing arcade games too.