Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to condition a faded/dull wood dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
I'm not sure if my car has sat out in too much sun (hard to believe in Seattle) but my 6/18 M3 dash is quite dull and faded. I really noticed this when i was recently in a Tesla Showroom and saw the brighter, glossier, more vibrant wood dash.

I know the wood dash isn't everyone's cup of tea but does anyone have suggestions on products that could help revive the look of the dash?

I'm not sure if my car has sat out in too much sun (hard to believe in Seattle) but my 6/18 M3 dash is quite dull and faded. I really noticed this when i was recently in a Tesla Showroom and saw the brighter, glossier, more vibrant wood dash.

I know the wood dash isn't everyone's cup of tea but does anyone have suggestions on products that could help revive the look of the dash?
I’d suggest contacting some boat shops. I imagine they often need to deal with reviving wood.

I do wood working so I feel I can offer some advice.

First off please remove the dash from the car when you work on it. You dont want to spill anything in your car. Especially anything to do with finishing wood.

2nd, that piece is $200 from Tesla. If you screw it up it's not the end of the world. Easily replaced.

If you want to keep the color this is what I would do. Tape everything with blue painters tape that isnt wood. Take your time and do a good job. Sand it at 220. Go with the grain and dont press hard. Do not use a lower grit at this point You want to try and even it out. If it doesnt even out step it down to 150. Once evened out use compressed air and remove every spec of dust. Dont rush it. Apply a matte poly in very light coats. You can use t-shirt rags they sell at lowes or Home Depot or apply with a good quality brush. Do not buy a brush for $.99 Spend $5+ and make sure it's made for finishes. I recommend this poly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00714ZOOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Satin poly will have some gloss and if you dont do a good job applying it you will see mistakes. Some areas will be glossier than others. Stick with matte. The poly I linked is water based so no odors and it dries in 5-10 minutes. I would just do 1-2 coats depending on coverage.

It has zero gloss and its very forgiving. Between the poly, brush, tape, sand paper, and a few hours of time you might just want to replace it. You can mess with your current dash by trying a different color stain, carbon fiber, or whatever.

First off please remove the dash from the car when you work on it. You dont want to spill anything in your car. Especially anything to do with finishing wood.

2nd, that piece is $200 from Tesla. If you screw it up it's not the end of the world. Easily replaced.

If you want to keep the color this is what I would do. Tape everything with blue painters tape that isnt wood. Take your time and do a good job. Sand it at 220. Go with the grain and dont press hard. Do not use a lower grit at this point You want to try and even it out. If it doesnt even out step it down to 150. Once evened out use compressed air and remove every spec of dust. Dont rush it. Apply a matte poly in very light coats. You can use t-shirt rags they sell at lowes or Home Depot or apply with a good quality brush. Do not buy a brush for $.99 Spend $5+ and make sure it's made for finishes. I recommend this poly https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00714ZOOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Satin poly will have some gloss and if you dont do a good job applying it you will see mistakes. Some areas will be glossier than others. Stick with matte. The poly I linked is water based so no odors and it dries in 5-10 minutes. I would just do 1-2 coats depending on coverage.

It has zero gloss and its very forgiving. Between the poly, brush, tape, sand paper, and a few hours of time you might just want to replace it. You can mess with your current dash by trying a different color stain, carbon fiber, or whatever.
I was thinking about using a light coat of tung oil. It’s a bit slow drying but I love the finish and gives just a bit of depth.

I’ve done my fair share of woodworking myself but wasn’t too sure how thick the open pore wood actually was. I like the idea of giving it a fine grit sand and I’d like to keep it matte like the stock look. I remember using Lin seed oil in the past for a nice finish but did it on pine which gave it a yellowish hue that I’d like to avoid here. Any idea what type of wood this dash is?

Also, just a thought here, but would any of those car interior wipes/cleaners that give things a gloss work here? I can’t actually tell if the wood comes with a finish since mine feels pretty much uncoated but if it was then something to just give that finish a lister could maybe work?

Pinesol!

29201-61834a0863d6b3b98f10945c7b1966df66b7cb8c-PS_Men_Diane_Poster_2.png