Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Delay/ hold order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen mentioned that people were able to place the reservation, then place it on hold for some period of months before you’re paired with a VIN. How do you do that?
I placed an order end of March, then noticed they’re estimating June for delivery, but I’d rather wait. I both texted and emailed the sales advisor who helped me during the test drive and haven’t seen any response at all, or changes to the estimated delivery date. I think it’s a ymmv situation, but Is there some trick to getting SAs to respond? Or do I just wait till I get a VIN and they start bugging me for insurance and payment, and delay at that point ?
I’d rather delay / hold the Rez now if possible since the clock starts on the timer once they give you a VIN.

How long after ordering did you get a delivery estimate? I don't see anything left to do under 'Next Steps'.

I told my SA I wouldn't need the car until end of August and he said "you should be fine". I assumed he meant that with my 6/18 order date, that is about when he expected me to get the car or if he put my order on hold. I don't see any sign of it being on Hold when I view my order but want to make sure I've done everything correctly.

Upvote 0
Tesla has cancelled my order without notice. My order was on hold until 1st October and suddenly it has been cancelled…

Did you tell them to put it on Hold until October? Did you get any email stating it would be cancelled?

I had a LR RWD order which I upgraded to LR AWD and after I did that, my order showed on hold until Sept, and they did email me about cancelling and I told them I would hold off and they said they would check in with me in 90 days (sometime in July) and then today I realized my order updated to be on hold until October, I didn't even ask them to hold it even longer... They just straight up cancelled your order?

Upvote 0
Did you tell them to put it on Hold until October? Did you get any email stating it would be cancelled?

I had a LR RWD order which I upgraded to LR AWD and after I did that, my order showed on hold until Sept, and they did email me about cancelling and I told them I would hold off and they said they would check in with me in 90 days (sometime in July) and then today I realized my order updated to be on hold until October, I didn't even ask them to hold it even longer... They just straight up cancelled your order?
My order has been on hold since last April and then everything was ok. Suddenly my order has been canceled. I didn’t receive any communications before the cancellation. They told me that they tried to reach me without success, but I could not find any number from Tesla in my history calls. At the website everything was ok.
Really bizarre and annoying

Upvote 0
I put my car on hold the night before delivery (vin 199xxx, June 6th). Price is still locked i. I hope to press “I’m ready“ once the feds retest and certify.
Retest and certify what? Vision?

You do know you gave up your spot right? By going to hold you gave up the vin and when you click I’m ready you go to the back of the line?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Upvote 0
Has anyone who couldn't make their 3 day delivery window have info about how long it took to get rematched to a VIN?

My EDD is around the end of September and I will be out of town for a few weeks so I'd likely miss the delivery window. However, I'm afraid that either they will try to reschedule immediately after since it is will be EoQ Q3, which I would also miss or they would move me to the back of the line and I'd have to wait until 2022 for delivery. Is it possible to push delivery by just a few weeks without formally putting your order on Hold?

Upvote 0
I’m actually hoping for a slightly later delivery then listed. Right now expected delivery date is sometime in January for the Model Y Long Range. My lease is not up until April, but I’m worried about repeated price increases myself. I broke down and put a deposit down now. I am worried about the period of overlap, but as lots of dealers are looking for used cars to sell, maybe BMW will take it back early? At least that is what I keep telling myself!

Upvote 0
Has anyone who couldn't make their 3 day delivery window have info about how long it took to get rematched to a VIN?

My EDD is around the end of September and I will be out of town for a few weeks so I'd likely miss the delivery window. However, I'm afraid that either they will try to reschedule immediately after since it is will be EoQ Q3, which I would also miss or they would move me to the back of the line and I'd have to wait until 2022 for delivery. Is it possible to push delivery by just a few weeks without formally putting your order on Hold?
I have the same scenario. Original EDD was October/November which sudden shot up to September 10-30. My wife, who will also be on the registration, will be out of town on business starting September 26th. If they want me to take delivery on September 27-30, I can't. It would really be kicked to the end of the line because of unavailability on the tail end of an EDD.

Upvote 0
I have the same scenario. Original EDD was October/November which sudden shot up to September 10-30. My wife, who will also be on the registration, will be out of town on business starting September 26th. If they want me to take delivery on September 27-30, I can't. It would really be kicked to the end of the line because of unavailability on the tail end of an EDD.
I think the only option available is having the car delivered to your home without you there, which I'd really like to avoid. I've heard they leave the key card in the car and thus unlocked and they would have to leave it on the street, which seems risky. After waiting 3+ months, I really wish they would allow you to at least push deliveries out a week.

Upvote 0
When you release a hold your order goes in the end of the queue I think, not to the front of the line.
I've read a lot of posts about what happens when an order is taken off hold but it doesn't quite line up with my experience.
  • Placed Order 7/29 with estimated delivery of "October"
  • Completed Profile 7/30
  • EDD of "December" on 8/2
  • EDD gets more specific on 8/9 (10/26-11/15) but the EDD range slips pretty much day for day.
  • I put order on hold on 8/13. Plan to delay until Jan / Feb timeframe after considering current car payoff date.
  • Soon after, the Model Y order page starts showing estimated delivery timeframe in January
  • A week or so later (8/29), SA calls me, advising me that it's time to remove the hold for a January delivery
  • The next day, I'm showing an EDD of 11/9-29
So I put my order on hold for 16 days but the change in EDD's is nowhere near the change in estimated delivery on the order page. I removed the hold exactly one month after my original order date and my new EDD is only 14 days behind my original EDD and 10 days behind the last EDD before I put the order on hold.

My takeaways:
  1. Putting an order on hold doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be queued up with the brand new orders when you remove the hold
  2. Trying to use a hold to precisely manage your delivery date is not necessarily a precise operation due to #1

Upvote 0
I've read a lot of posts about what happens when an order is taken off hold but it doesn't quite line up with my experience.
  • Placed Order 7/29 with estimated delivery of "October"
  • Completed Profile 7/30
  • EDD of "December" on 8/2
  • EDD gets more specific on 8/9 (10/26-11/15) but the EDD range slips pretty much day for day.
  • I put order on hold on 8/13. Plan to delay until Jan / Feb timeframe after considering current car payoff date.
  • Soon after, the Model Y order page starts showing estimated delivery timeframe in January
  • A week or so later (8/29), SA calls me, advising me that it's time to remove the hold for a January delivery
  • The next day, I'm showing an EDD of 11/9-29
So I put my order on hold for 16 days but the change in EDD's is nowhere near the change in estimated delivery on the order page. I removed the hold exactly one month after my original order date and my new EDD is only 14 days behind my original EDD and 10 days behind the last EDD before I put the order on hold.

My takeaways:
  1. Putting an order on hold doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be queued up with the brand new orders when you remove the hold
  2. Trying to use a hold to precisely manage your delivery date is not necessarily a precise operation due to #1
I have seen so many conflicting stories of people putting on hold and getting pushed to end of line and others who were rematched with a VIN shortly after removing their hold. Your experience seems to be somewhere in between these 2 possibilities which makes it extremely hard to figure out what to do.

It looks like you completed your order on 7/30 with an EDD of 10/26-11/15 (88 days - 108 days)
You then put your order on hold on 8/13 with eventual EDD of 11/9 - 11/29 (88 days - 108 days)

It almost seems like they reset your EDD from date of Hold rather than when you released the Hold. This matters less for you since you put it on hold 13 days after ordering but I'm 77 days in.

Reactions: mrwug
Upvote 0
My takeaways:
Agreed. Our order went on hold Sept 20 because of Tesla's inanely inflexible delivery dates (see This thread). Then I went back to my account and released the order and it did not display an EDD. My wife called to complain a bit, and the sales rep said he'd try to find us one. The EDD then said November, now Sept 30-Oct 19. I do not think the SA did anything (sounded blasé about the whole thing - horrible CS skills). So, I think the place you wind up in the queue depends on a lot of things. Here are a few things that may have affected it:
  • Original order date (June 24) was a long time ago
  • Recent production runs (ours was Model Y long range, blue, 19" wheels) - and we were scheduled to get delivery a week later, so it (and likely cars like it) was on its way already.
  • How many other people cancel or put orders on hold
  • Maybe Tesla people intervening on the back end (doubtful).
  • The alignment of Jupiter and Mars
  • How much revenue Tesla needs to make
  • A butterfly flapping its wings in Indonesia. :)

Upvote 0
Agreed. Our order went on hold Sept 20 because of Tesla's inanely inflexible delivery dates (see This thread). Then I went back to my account and released the order and it did not display an EDD. My wife called to complain a bit, and the sales rep said he'd try to find us one. The EDD then said November, now Sept 30-Oct 19. I do not think the SA did anything (sounded blasé about the whole thing - horrible CS skills). So, I think the place you wind up in the queue depends on a lot of things. Here are a few things that may have affected it:
  • Recent production runs (ours was Model Y long range, blue, 19" wheels) - and we were scheduled to get delivery a week later, so it (and likely cars like it) was on its way already.
I was given an edd range that started two weeks after I released my hold at the beginning of September. Original order was April I think. Guessing aTesla wants to get these older orders at lower prices off the books so they will rush a car to those people. At least those who are close to the factory.

Upvote 0
Forgot to say that you need one more bullet point.

• Ashton Kutcher makes a movie about it

Upvote 0
I got an email from the local store a couple hours after my reservation was confirmed. I told him that I was going to delay and he said no problem. Currently I am on hold til Q4 but I might push til Q1 2022 (mentioned I was waiting for the tax breaks to come back). Very easy.

View attachment 660113

Same boat, ordered in May but told the guy I didnt wanna buy til 2022. He said cool just drop 100 and you can pause it for up to a year. Now I just got the nastygram saying I have to order now.

Upvote 0