TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to determine which Linux kernel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Patrick W, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

I heard on the latest Ride the Lightning podcast (I highly recommend that podcast to my fellow Teslaphiles) that Tesla recently started updating the Lynx kernel from 2.6.36 to 4.4.36.

How does one determine what version kernel their car is using?

My car is on 8.1 (17.26.76).

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

The people who report it are rooting their car so they can inspect the kernel version.

3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

It's "Linux". And for the most part end users / owners don't really need to know this as it doesn't affect us directly.

Bruce.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Yeah, I noticed the typo (stupid spell check). But for some reason this forum does not allow folks to edit their posts so I get to look dumb in perpetuity. :)

As for knowing what version, I may not need to know but being a science geek I want to know.

BTW, did you notice we both joined the list on the same day and have close to the same number of messages? What are the chances?

5. Mike K

Mike K Member

No clue. Only stepped in to say Mel and Tom with Talking Tesla are where it's at if for no other reason than to hear Mel, someone apparently smart enough to have studied medicine and practice it, completely butcher people's names.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I'd not heard of Talking Tesla. Just subscribed and will give them a try.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

You don't have an edit button?

8. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

When you start a new thread, you only have 10 minutes to edit your first post (unlike other posts where you have up to 60 minutes to edit). Also, you can't edit your thread title whatsoever. Paying members, though, have additional privileges for editing.

You can use the REPORT function to ask a moderator to correct the spelling for you in the title and first post.

• Informative x 1
  10. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Heh, sorry. I guess I'm overreacting to some people who have gotten (IMO) overly excited about new Linux kernels for basically no demonstrated reason.

And about out joining date and number of posts, I guess that just shows we both spend too much time here on TMC (a certain person sitting next to me who wishes to remain anonymous agrees with me).

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I get excited as it shows that Tesla is actually committing some resources to things besides just the flashy new AP type stuff. Stuff that will presumably benefit us "Classic" owners, or even the AP1 folks who also seem to have been abandoned by Tesla since AP2 was announced.

Also it was originally announced that with a new kernel would come an updated browser, something that's about 4 years past due. Unfortunately that's since been moved back.

12. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I'm on 17.26.16. I checked the browser today to see if the kernel brought any browser update. I'm looking forward to running Google Voice, but alas, the browser is still not capable. Let's hope a browser update is coming soon.

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm sure the moment a new browser drops, the forum will be a flurry of new threads one every 5 minutes with someone else thinking they were the first ones to just notice it.

And half those threads won't even have "browser" in the title, they'll just be "is this new?" or "look what I found" or "it's about time" :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1