Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to display miles remaining next to battery image on home screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The top of the home screen shows a battery with % of charge remaining. Can this be changed to the number of miles remaining? I see the Energy App screen provides Consumption and Range, with the Range being an estimate of miles remaining on the battery. I'd like this Range value always on the home screen.

Just a little warning though, the miles displayed in the main screen will drive you batty with degradation concerns or if you expect to get the displayed distance or watch it go up and down everyday seemingly randomly. Like all things, when the BMS measures the packs voltages, it's an average and displays the *rated* distance (according to EPA tests) and varies according to temperature and other factors and does *not* take into account prior driving habits (speed, outside temp, etc). Only the energy app does that and is a much better gauge of future range.

Only the energy app does that and is a much better gauge of future range.
Yes, when using the Navigation I found very useful to look at the energy graph
to have a good overview of your actual energy consumption
and a good estimate of your remaining battery capacity when reaching your destination.

I found more useful to use the % of charge remaining instead of the estimated range.

When preparing for a road trip, I use in advance the Better Route Planner (ABRP) App​
to estimate how much % of consumption is need to go when one supercharger to another one.​
The Tesla Navigation when used to find the superchargers on a trip, provides only a charging duration.​
I didn't find this very useful because there is no indication of the charge level after each charging session.​
Charging time can vary because of temperature or when sharing a supercharger, so a charging level,​
like mentioned when using ABRP, would be more useful than an hypothetical duration.​

When I queried that the rated range had reduced from 337 to 311 miles in 6 months, a ranger told me the rated range does take account of driving habits and adjusts to become more realistic, rather than an indication of battery degradation. Does anyone know if this is right??

False except as described in post 5 above

Absolutely does not take history into account, it is just a snapshot, based on a real-time measurement of a physical state.

The number next to the battery is a derived from the electrical potential energy of the pack at that moment: it is *not* a prediction of what you are about to do with this stored energy based on some previously observed values. It's just a way of translating a voltage measurement into a more easily understood number.

Basically cell-voltage is how they know how much energy is in the pack (plus some allowances for temperature and other secret sauce). No one would be able to guess how far they can go if you simply report the cells in the pack are averaging, say, 3.92 V at the moment, but people can definitely understand what you're trying to tell them if the dashboard says 100 "miles" instead, even if the number there assumes a lot of (usually very optimistic) conditions.

(All this drama goes away If you switch your display to percentage. 100 is full, 0 is dead, if it turns yellow plug it in.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby