Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to explain to SC that EMMC daughterboard needs replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replacement struggles exist even when paying cash.

I have a 2015 with 86k with no warranty (well except battery and DU)

It took making an appointment and 3 calls to SC to finally get my answer.

They don't have enough boards to keep up with demand. The protocol for cash pays is the same as warranty claims. Basically, run the diagnostic and try a bunch of maneuvers like clearing cache. So basically it came down to 3 SC visits with them messing around.

Doesn't give a lot of options for busy people who just want to pay the money. And the kicker is if it truly fails, the part "usually" arrives in 2 weeks and we will "try" to get you a loaner.

Who here thinks Tesla would give me a loaner in this situation for a non warranty repair? The value of the loaner would be double the actual cost of the repair.

My wife tells me to get a new car but there is zero chance I would give Tesla any more money and there isn't any one else I would either.
(Good conclusion line for post #1000 ....)

Reactions: aerodyne
I just did the infotainment upgrade last week, I asked for the eMMC board to be replaced on my GEN 1 MCU and they claimed they were having issues with some of the upgraded eMMC's (your car is too old, we don't make the board, there are issues blah, blah, blah - the truth is they are probably out of the parts and this was their only option). So they up-sold me to the $2650 upgraded MCU. Got the car back and their were issues with the following: doors would not unlock from app, frunk would not unlock from app, trunk would not open from app, load popping sound from my aftermarket stereo AMP on start-up (I had heard about this one). lastly backup camera at night is unusable, the video gain or contrast must be off with the new video card, I almost backed into my wife's Model S, the first night I tried using it, thank god they turned on the proximity sensors to beep, (I usually turn them off they are so freaking annoying).

Yesterday Tesla Ranger came out and addressed the app issues for unlock, trunk and frunk, I haven't tested it yet, as its raining like hell and the tech who was awesome, told me it was a soft key or certs that were not installed correctly (sounds like some kinda of security certs), and it would take some time for the Tesla to push those to the car. Weird part was all other app functions worked (sunroof, keyless start, stereo controls, etc)

Overall like the new Infotainment, with the exception of total loss of cell signal, eliminating the ability to switch to FM. (which I already knew about) and the aftermarket AMP slamming my speakers with some sort of signal spike at startup - its LOUD... sounds like when you plug in a microphone and gain is turned up too high and it pops the speakers with 60 hertz spike. (I may go back to the crappy stock amp to resolve this one)

I feel like they should change out the backup camera, as its now a safety issue at night, daytime performance is normal, but nighttime is a pitch black screen.

First world problems, I know, but being a unpaid beta tester is never fun when I depend on this car... you would think someone would have test driven the car to discover the frunk, trunk, unlock app issues after install to discover this before handing the keys to the customer. Also no mention of the popping sound from the AMP, maybe the customer won't notice :rolleyes:

I half don't want to try the app today, cause its just going piss me off if it doesn't work...

I wonder if everyone having backup camera problems is related to the actual camera. There are several revisions and took my old one out and installed, I think rev g. It’s much clearer than the original camera. If someone wants to fund me getting MCU2 I’ll let you know how it works. Lol.

I just did the infotainment upgrade last week, I asked for the eMMC board to be replaced on my GEN 1 MCU and they claimed they were having issues with some of the upgraded eMMC's (your car is too old, we don't make the board, there are issues blah, blah, blah - the truth is they are probably out of the parts and this was their only option). So they up-sold me to the $2650 upgraded MCU. Got the car back and their were issues with the following: doors would not unlock from app, frunk would not unlock from app, trunk would not open from app, load popping sound from my aftermarket stereo AMP on start-up (I had heard about this one). lastly backup camera at night is unusable, the video gain or contrast must be off with the new video card, I almost backed into my wife's Model S, the first night I tried using it, thank god they turned on the proximity sensors to beep, (I usually turn them off they are so freaking annoying).

Yesterday Tesla Ranger came out and addressed the app issues for unlock, trunk and frunk, I haven't tested it yet, as its raining like hell and the tech who was awesome, told me it was a soft key or certs that were not installed correctly (sounds like some kinda of security certs), and it would take some time for the Tesla to push those to the car. Weird part was all other app functions worked (sunroof, keyless start, stereo controls, etc)

Overall like the new Infotainment, with the exception of total loss of cell signal, eliminating the ability to switch to FM. (which I already knew about) and the aftermarket AMP slamming my speakers with some sort of signal spike at startup - its LOUD... sounds like when you plug in a microphone and gain is turned up too high and it pops the speakers with 60 hertz spike. (I may go back to the crappy stock amp to resolve this one)

I feel like they should change out the backup camera, as its now a safety issue at night, daytime performance is normal, but nighttime is a pitch black screen.

First world problems, I know, but being a unpaid beta tester is never fun when I depend on this car... you would think someone would have test driven the car to discover the frunk, trunk, unlock app issues after install to discover this before handing the keys to the customer. Also no mention of the popping sound from the AMP, maybe the customer won't notice :rolleyes:

I half don't want to try the app today, cause its just going piss me off if it doesn't work...

Question. Is your amp powering all of your speakers? I have an aftermarket amp but its only powering my aftermarket sub. Wondering if I would have the same popping issue if I went MCU2 and if I did, what would the solution be

Question. Is your amp powering all of your speakers? I have an aftermarket amp but its only powering my aftermarket sub. Wondering if I would have the same popping issue if I went MCU2 and if I did, what would the solution be

Its the LightHarmonic factory replacement AMP, powering the door, rear and subs, thread here - Light harmonic amp on MCU2

Good news is the work they did yesterday resolved the APP not working for the frunk, trunk and door unlock/lock... now on to address the F&)&^*&^$^&%ng AMP.

Change it out to what? That is the way every new Model S/X that comes with MCU2 looks. (At least that is what I have read.)

I don't understand why they don't just update the software to fix it. Maybe not enough people have complained directly to Tesla?

• Helpful
Reactions: Xenoilphobe