Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to fit Michelin XT Silicone wiper blades on the 2021 Y's new wiper hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I didn't realize was that Tesla updated the 2021 Y's wiper nozzle configuration.

With that said, I recently purchased a set of the silicone Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades which I previously had on my Model 3.
I have taken the wings/tabs off, but I can't get them to fit. Is there any other adapter? Or any other silicone blade brand that is confirmed to work on the very recent 2021 Y's?

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I'm not sure this is the same for everyone, but I bought the Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades for my 2020 MY and the passenger side does not fit. Yes removing the tabs let me put it on the arms (unlike what was discussed above) and they fit on the arms fine... BUT the Michelin wipers make the arm sit higher on the glass- and on the passenger side this means the bend in the arm starts to hit the frunk- now only when its going in and out of its protected area, but still it is going to take the paint off the frunk and arm. But the Michelin Endurance XT does just fine for the driver side, no issues.

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper on their MY 2020 with the Michelin.

I'm not sure this is the same for everyone, but I bought the Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades for my 2020 MY and the passenger side does not fit. Yes removing the tabs let me put it on the arms (unlike what was discussed above) and they fit on the arms fine... BUT the Michelin wipers make the arm sit higher on the glass- and on the passenger side this means the bend in the arm starts to hit the frunk- now only when its going in and out of its protected area, but still it is going to take the paint off the frunk and arm. But the Michelin Endurance XT does just fine for the driver side, no issues.

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper on their MY 2020 with the Michelin.
I have the same issue with the Duralast Aero blades I just got. Couldn’t figure out what was happening at first.

also, to the OP, even when I broke the wings off if took some finagling to get the adapter to fit in the wiper stalk, so that may be the issue as well. (I have a 2020 so I don’t have the extra nozzle that you have)

What are the OEM blades anyway? Haven’t seen them anywhere. Tesla doesn’t sell them, either.
They sell them...but you have to jump through a hoop or two haha!!

After going to my local SC (where I've ordered OTC parts before) and getting nowhere, I created a service request in the app. In the comments, I said I just wanted to buy the inserts for our two MY's, not have them installed by mobile service.

Got an email a few days later to e-sign to approve the estimate. They had two invoices, one for each MY. Then got an email from the parts guy at the SC saying they'd email me when the blades come in.

Why oh why do they make simple things complicated?? :D

I have the same issue with the Duralast Aero blades I just got. Couldn’t figure out what was happening at first.

also, to the OP, even when I broke the wings off if took some finagling to get the adapter to fit in the wiper stalk, so that may be the issue as well. (I have a 2020 so I don’t have the extra nozzle that you have)
So since my driver side worked no problem- I'm going to try a connector transplant :) I'm going to try to take the old driver side wiper connector and attempt to install it over the top of the passenger Michelin wiper.. the issue I think isn't the blade but the huge part on top that the arm needs to connect to- if the michelin snap in part was just 2-3mm thinner...

there may also be a different way too... so in the olden days you could just actually replace the rubber part in a wiper... old wipers had 2 metal thin rods that would slide on either side of the rubber to hold it in... you would replace the rubber by removing the blade, removing the metal slides, getting the new rubber (in our case silicone) and putting the metal slides in and replacing the blade... Not exactly sure what the OEM blade was doing but a blade transplant might work too.

So since my driver side worked no problem- I'm going to try a connector transplant :) I'm going to try to take the old driver side wiper connector and attempt to install it over the top of the passenger Michelin wiper.. the issue I think isn't the blade but the huge part on top that the arm needs to connect to- if the michelin snap in part was just 2-3mm thinner...

there may also be a different way too... so in the olden days you could just actually replace the rubber part in a wiper... old wipers had 2 metal thin rods that would slide on either side of the rubber to hold it in... you would replace the rubber by removing the blade, removing the metal slides, getting the new rubber (in our case silicone) and putting the metal slides in and replacing the blade... Not exactly sure what the OEM blade was doing but a blade transplant might work too.
Let us know.
Yes, I remember the days when you could get wiper blade refills and just replace the rubber blades for a few bucks rather than pay $20-30+ for the entire assembly. The old way seemed cheaper and easier with less waste, to be honest.

Let us know.
Yes, I remember the days when you could get wiper blade refills and just replace the rubber blades for a few bucks rather than pay $20-30+ for the entire assembly. The old way seemed cheaper and easier with less waste, to be honest.
So the connector cannot be removed... so that's a fail. BUT the rubber is fairly easily changed. Now I haven't done it yet with my passenger wiper, but I experimented with the old driver side one (we have the remnants of the hurricane hitting NY with lots of rain- the day to mess up is not today so I'm holding off the real change for a day or so).

That said if you take the tesla OEM wiper then:
  1. Pop off each end
  2. Remove the plastic sheathing
  3. The 2 metal sides holding in the wiper will just slide apart and the rubber will just fall out.
  4. Then same deal on the Michelin- remove the ends of the new wiper
  5. Pop out the metal part that holds the rubber part
  6. Now the metal doesn't come apart, so just slowly pull the silicone wiper out of the metal, slowly so not to rip it.
  7. Fit the silicone one back between the OEM metal slits
  8. Put the plastic back on and then the ends.
Now I couldn't finish my experiment because the passenger size is smaller than the driver experimental one I took apart... so the final proof will be in a day or two when I do it to the real deal- the passenger OEM one. Till then, as they said in the movie "The Ghost in the Darkness"- the theory is sound.

I am having a similar issue with the passenger wiper arm hitting the frunk when replacing it with the michelin or Piaa blades..any solution besides buying oem blades..I was hoping to find smaller adapters somehow…thanks in advance
So I did a wiper transplant. I took the OEM one apart- ends off and removed the 2 metal rails (the OEM wiper is sandwiched between two metal rails that go down the length of the wiper). I removed the new silicone part from the wiper I bought and put it between the 2 rails- put the OEM wiper together and tada- OEM wiper mechanics with a new silicone wiper in it.

So I did a wiper transplant. I took the OEM one apart- ends off and removed the 2 metal rails (the OEM wiper is sandwiched between two metal rails that go down the length of the wiper). I removed the new silicone part from the wiper I bought and put it between the 2 rails- put the OEM wiper together and tada- OEM wiper mechanics with a new silicone wiper in it.
Any pics of the process? And does that mean you can’t put the oem ones back on from now on?

Any pics of the process? And does that mean you can’t put the oem ones back on from now on?
you know I didn't take pictures... sorry about that- I had a plan until it was supposed to storm and my wife needed the car- and the slow, document process went out the door.

That said- the Michelin driver side one just fits on fine out of the box... So what I did was put the driver side one on, make sure it worked and then tore down the OEM driver side one to make sure I could do this... so like a safe test (but don't lose the parts, you may want them later).

Then I tore apart the Michelin passenger one, made sure the silicone was ok, (point of no return) and then tore appart the OEM one, changed the rubber for the Michelin silicone and then put the OEM blade back together with the Michelin silicone. It's a 15 min job if you take your time. Once you're done you can remove the new Michelin driver side wiper and do an OEM replacement like the passenger- so that you have matching wipers (though honestly the passenger one hides under the front hood so if they were different, you would only know when it's raining).

Here is a YouTube video that shows you a method that is similar to the OEM blade disassemble and re-assemble:

The only difference is that the Michelin one has a single piece of metal holding the rubber/silicone with a slit in the middle that forces you to remove the silicone by pulling it slowly like pulling apart a Twizzler.

Sorry again I don't have any photos.

That said- once you take apart the OEM passenger side there is no going back... That's why I think it's a good idea to practice on the OEM Driver wiper after you swap it with the Michelin.

Last edited:
Is this what OEM replacement wipers look like (the rubber has been removed) that have had the insert replaced? The end piece doesn't appear to pop off. Next step is breaking it to see how it's held in place. This is the current MY passenger (1490250-00-A).

TeslaMYwiper.png

Just to wrap this up:
  • Michelin Lifestyle recommends 26 & 19 inch wipers. On my Nov-2021/2022 MY the passenger insert is 20" long.
  • I figured out a reasonable way to get the end cap off the OEM wiper but it's not intended to be removed and I expect a failure if it's repeatedly removed.
  • The Endurance 'narrow button' adapter won't latch. It goes about 90% of the way in but the milled area (under the 'wings) is too shallow. Nothing a bit of Dremel time won't fix but that's from a past life.
  • I believe it's a bit difficult to replace the insert on the passenger side but I did it. It's infeasible to do so on the driver's side because you can't remove the mount base so you can't pull the metal stays out. Pulling the insert through the center seems unwise to me since I expect it will damage the insert but maybe it's okay.
  • I do like the Michelin over the OEM based on about an hour of rainy driving but no snow yet.
  • The Endurance rubber is drenched in what I assume is some silicone magic sauce. It's very slippery which doesn't make changing the insert any easier.
I guess I'll try the PIAA via Cravenspeed.