Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Get Driving Data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible for a user, with Service help, to get data from the "black box"?

I don't want to go into too much detail yet, but I have good reason to suspect a Ferris Bueller-style valet parking experience, only with greater effects than a mere odometer change. I have screencapped the car's out-of-bounds location on the app, but if I'm going to pursue damage claims, it would be nice to have a definitive log.

Anyone have experience or advice to offer? Thanks!

Attachments

• 546b0d2aa9988_-_modenastill1-lg[1].jpg
    546b0d2aa9988_-_modenastill1-lg[1].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 256
You need to signup with one of the tracking services before the fact. Tesla doesn't provide historical data except in the case of an accident.

I had a similar situation with a valet and was able to show dashcam footage, plus this map from EVmote that shows the car at 71mph in a 35, at full throttle.

cdJrIJ4.png

@John Stuckey Not to be smart but:

911 for emergency situations.

If you are talking about getting the black box data after an accident, you would have to contact Tesla Corporate Technical Support.

The best thing that anyone can do is to get signed up with Tesla Logs, Teslafi or other API Data recording entities and start having your data logged for your own access. It may be too late for something that has already happened, but for most everyone else, it needs to start now. You will regret not having the data after something happens and you don't have it!

My post above shows a snapshot of just a little bit of the information that is available at your fingertip once you register with one of these sites. Per minute data is invaluable for your safety and protection - personal and financial.

Who do I contact in the case of an accident?
Thanks.

Thanks, everyone!

I did contact my Tesla service guy the same day I posted this, and he was able to verify that the car had been parked since my drop-off date. He could not pull GPS data from that day, as it was over a week in the past, so I don't know if it went touring before it was parked.

Today I went to pick it up, and the parking guys told me they'd parked it inside at an off-site parking facility. (I'd opened the app with perfect timing this morning to screencap the complete and direct route of my car back to the original parking site.) I asked why that off-site facility was a body shop, and I'm not 100% satisfied with the answers, but at any rate the car appears to be fine. Uniformly dusty, not like one area was worked on.

I didn't know about these logging options, so I may be looking into that for the future. I love the map showing the detour and speeding.

Thank you!