Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get max range from a P90DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my P90DL a couple of weeks back and am loving it for all the right reasons. I do sometimes need to do long journeys, so am trying to work out how best to set the car up to get maximum range from a full charge and would welcome the thoughts of more experienced owners.

I can drive efficiently and use regen as effectively as possible. I have also figured out how to get a max charge into the batteries, so it's really down to the settings in the car. I guess having climate off is a good start, but what other settings would you recommend?

I'm also a bit confused by the range indication from the battery symbol versus the energy consumption screen. What sort of max range can I achieve in the real world and what's the best measure of how I'm performing against that range in the car?

Thanks,
Dom.

As far as I know the single biggest thing is speed. But there's a lot of variables and it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want to set a record for longest distance, then you turn everything off pick a calm day, area with no traffic and no hills and drive 20mph. I think the record is over 500 miles!

Wheel size and design makes a big difference too, smaller and more aerodynamic is best for range. Keep heat off, and drive slower. In real world I use the built in trip planner and manage speed as needed to reach my desired destination.

Reactions: Aviator
I just got my P90DL a couple of weeks back and am loving it for all the right reasons. I do sometimes need to do long journeys, so am trying to work out how best to set the car up to get maximum range from a full charge and would welcome the thoughts of more experienced owners.

I can drive efficiently and use regen as effectively as possible. I have also figured out how to get a max charge into the batteries, so it's really down to the settings in the car. I guess having climate off is a good start, but what other settings would you recommend?

I'm also a bit confused by the range indication from the battery symbol versus the energy consumption screen. What sort of max range can I achieve in the real world and what's the best measure of how I'm performing against that range in the car?

Thanks,
Dom.
The Energy App will show actual usage and if you have a trip set up on Nav the Energy App will show "predicted" usage based on all real driving factors. Also turn Range Mode on and keep Ludicrous/insane off.

TACC will also help. There are diverging opinions re air suspension setup. Lower theoretically will give you a slightly better mileage, but at the expense of tire life because of camber changes. Lastly, there is the good ol' drafting method.

But then again, it's a P90DL...so unless you really really need max range, just ignore that thread altogether :)

TACC will also help. There are diverging opinions re air suspension setup. Lower theoretically will give you a slightly better mileage, but at the expense of tire life because of camber changes. Lastly, there is the good ol' drafting method.

But then again, it's a P90DL...so unless you really really need max range, just ignore that thread altogether :)

Excuse my ignorance hmmm, but what's TACC?

So what's the best 'consumption' you can expect if driving sensibly?

Thanks,
Dom.

Excuse my ignorance hmmm, but what's TACC?

So what's the best 'consumption' you can expect if driving sensibly?

Thanks,
Dom.

Traffic Aware Cruise Control - basically a rather sophisticated implementation of adaptive cruise control. My experience is that it uses more energy than I do in traffic or hilly areas, though it'll come in handy for keeping your speed down to where you actually wonted it on open stretches.

Reactions: msnow and Aviator
Traffic Aware Cruise Control - basically a rather sophisticated implementation of adaptive cruise control. My experience is that it uses more energy than I do in traffic or hilly areas, though it'll come in handy for keeping your speed down to where you actually wonted it on open stretches.
Thanks Saghost.... I wasn't aware of the Traffic Aware part of the name :)

True, there are instances where it's not as smooth as a human being would be, esp. when the pace/spacing of traffic is "just wrong" and the car has to adjust very very often. As you said though, when the traffic is light, it keeps me under control.

One think to note also, if you go "max range", top speed is capped at 85mh. I found this out the hard way when I had to avoid a swerving semi.

Echoing everybody else on this thread; range is reduced by acceleration/deceleration, heavy HVAC use, and speed. If I want to get good mileage I start with a full battery, drive smoothly, choose a comfortable cruising speed < 80 mph, suspension lowered, range mode on. I use autopilot if the traffic is light, and avoid it if the traffic is dense because you will be able to better avoid too many braking/accelerating cycles. Keep the energy app running to see how you're doing.

If you need to gain range then cut the hvac, crack the windows (opening them doesn't maintain aerodynamic efficiency), and draft a large truck or bus.

If you long journey is far enough to involve Supercharger Stop(s) then 75 MPH is optimal. Faster and you will spend more time stopped, charging, than the ground you make up, slower and the reverse is true

Set the SatNav for your destination (you can click the Speaker Symbol, on the little "info" panel on the left of the SatNav screen, and Mute the volume if you so wish), and once that is done the TRIP Tab on the Energy Screen will show you a graph of how much energy you will arrive with. If it is Red pay attention!, if it shows yellow go easy and if it is Green you can tank along :) It adjusts as your journey progresses, so if (for example) the "Actual" line shows you will have more energy than the original "prediction" line then you can speed up for the rest of your journey. That is particularly relevant to the last leg of a supercharger journey, especially if you stopped longer than necessary, perhaps for a meal, and have plenty of energy for the last leg.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Along the same lines, i have gotten the best energy usage and savings when using auto pilot...

Along the same lines, i have gotten the best energy usage and savings when using auto pilot...

Interesting. I find that AP (TACC) brakes much later than I would, which sometimes means it has to use the actual brakes, throwing energy away (you can feel it moving the brake pedal when it uses the friction brakes.)

As I said earlier, it generally uses more power than I do. (except when I'm first in line at a red light. Instant silent torque may be slightly addictive. :) )

Interesting. I find that AP (TACC) brakes much later than I would, which sometimes means it has to use the actual brakes, throwing energy away (you can feel it moving the brake pedal when it uses the friction brakes.)

As I said earlier, it generally uses more power than I do. (except when I'm first in line at a red light. Instant silent torque may be slightly addictive. :) )
Agree, I use far less energy that TACC does. Too fast acceleration and braking are the reasons I think.