Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get my car home from the service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
Finally taking a road trip, my Model 3 LR broke down on the freeway outside Azalea, Oregon. Fortunately there was cellular coverage and the A/C worked. The tow truck arrived in 3 hours then took us and the car 200 miles to the Portland service center.

The next morning, the service center ordered a rear drive unit (ASY,M3,REAR,MOSFET-LC,GLOBAL Part # 1120990-00-H) but after 8 days it still has no ETA, which means they don't know when it'll even ship. They loaned us a car to get around.

Eventually we need to head home. We could fly or else drive the loaner home but I'm not going to drive 1300 miles back and forth someday to swap them.

Q. How can I get my car home?

The service center "has no process" for shipping my car home. My first thought is to ask them to use an empty, returning car carrier to carry it to the Fremont factory. (Lots of Tesla car carriers passed us while we sat in the freeway breakdown lane.) Or carry it there sooner and fix it there (maybe Fremont can get parts quicker). Or carry my car to Fremont and carry the loaner back.

Ideas?
Relevant experiences?

Attachments

• PXL_20210801_230912420.jpg
    PXL_20210801_230912420.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20210802_001838220.jpg
    PXL_20210802_001838220.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 64
Big thanks to service advisor Stefan Butterbrodt in Portland for pulling off an even better solution: Another customer's rear drive unit came in, he asked, and they said OK to us having that one and starting our drive home! ♥️

Any idea how to send my appreciation to service center management?

IIRC, Stefan said they see a couple drive unit failures per week. It's the only service center in Oregon.