Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get people so street race you...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive in "chill" mode so when the light changes, I just floor the accelerator to reach the speed limit first. Then I enable TACC/AutoPilot and go about my business. At the light, I use "HOLD" mode to give no indication that I'm anxious.

Bob Wilson

What is the meaning of all this? :confused: What is the point of flooring it in Chill Mode? o_O

What is the meaning of all this? :confused: What is the point of flooring it in Chill Mode? o_O
Unlike an ICE with 100 times more moving parts, our silent, powerful motors get us going so much faster at the light that we're leaving the 'honorable competition' behind without coming close to stressing the car or batteries:
  • ~8.0 second - 0-60 mph in 'chill' mode
  • ~5.5 second - 0-60 mph in standard mode
We don't have to shock them as much as to leave them behind. Sure, they'll eventually catch up a mile or so later but who cares? We're in the lane we want; at the speed we want, and; we've tempted them to greatly exceed the speed limit for the next speed trap.

Bob Wilson

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Unlike an ICE with 100 times more moving parts, our silent, powerful motors get us going so much faster at the light that we're leaving the 'honorable competition' behind without coming close to stressing the car or batteries:
We don't have to shock them as much as to leave them behind. Sure, they'll eventually catch up a mile or so later but who cares? We're in the lane we want; at the speed we want, and; we've tempted them to greatly exceed the speed limit for the next speed trap.

Bob Wilson
Yeah, OK... o_OBut I want them to eat rubber off of all 4 tires! :D

Reactions: bwilson4web

Bob Wilson

Ok, I think I get it now. You are saying you don’t even even have to try. :) I’m driving a 3P so I know what you mean.

The Tesla instant torque power delivery is outstanding. Effortless acceleration so smooth and quiet. In a lot of ways it will make it very difficult to ever go back to an ICE based car. However, if you are a sports car enthusiast there are some senses that an EV can’t seem to tickle just yet. A great sounding exhaust note as you wind through the gears, feeling the vibration of the engine, top down wind blowing about the cabin. You can defeat traction control and stability control so you can have a little fun in a controlled environment.

It is not just about going fast, certain sports cars have a special charm about them. Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Miatas, Porsche, etc. I hope that as these vehicles become electrified in the future that they still retain some character.

So how can I get people to street race me in the Tesla? In a normal car you could rev up the engine at a stoplight. But in the Tesla that obviously isn't an option. Combined with the fact that anyone who knows a lot about cars won't stoplight race against the Tesla because they know they will lose...

Any ideas?

Play some engine noise over the speakers?
Hand signals?
Roll down the windows and ask nicely?

Also before anyone gets angry I am talking about doing this in a different country to the USA so it's perfectly legal here. Obviously I don't want to condone anything illegal...

This is BS. There is no country in which street racing is legal. If you want to race your car go a track, get educated, and don't endanger bystanders. Aside from the question of whether or not you think it's legal in your country, it's stupid. It's a good way to kill somebody. Grow up!

We don't have to shock them as much as to leave them behind

You realize both of those are slower to 60 than a 2L Honda Accord these days, right? (and your chill time is a LOT slower than a ton of boring sedans and even pickup trucks and SUVs these days)

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T is as fast as the first gen Acura NSX in a straight line - Alt Car news

This isn't 1965 anymore where even corvettes takes almost 6 seconds to go 0-60.

You realize both of those are slower to 60 than a 2L Honda Accord these days, right? (and your chill time is a LOT slower than a ton of boring sedans and even pickup trucks and SUVs these days)

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T is as fast as the first gen Acura NSX in a straight line - Alt Car news

This isn't 1965 anymore where even corvettes takes almost 6 seconds to go 0-60.

I was thinking the same thing. My old Toyota minivan went faster to 60 than 8 sec, even with a bunch of people in it. :)

• horse hooves
  • coal fired, steam trains
  • Model A Fords
Some things are best left in the past.

Bob Wilson
100% disagree.

I have a LR AWD M3, and my other car is a Chevy SS, which I slightly modified the exhaust to make it louder, not stupid loud, but a bit louder than stock. I've almost always had a car with a V8 since I've been 22, Mustang GT, G8 GXP, which was modified with twin turbos and a cam, had 710 rwhp, and that sound and rawness still gets me.

I still love driving that as much as my Model 3, it's just a different enjoyable drive.

I got a P3D, and my 6MT SS is for sale. Haven't driven it in a month.
Even if I had a P3D, I'd still enjoy driving my SS. There's still something primal about that V8 roar echoing off cars and building on my way to and from work.

I think of it like a hammer vs. scalpel. Both get the job done, just two different ways.

259AFA65-C472-438B-BD92-3778B2162C76.jpeg

100% disagree.

I have a LR AWD M3, and my other car is a Chevy SS, which I slightly modified the exhaust to make it louder, not stupid loud, but a bit louder than stock. I've almost always had a car with a V8 since I've been 22, Mustang GT, G8 GXP, which was modified with twin turbos and a cam, had 710 rwhp, and that sound and rawness still gets me.

I still love driving that as much as my Model 3, it's just a different enjoyable drive.

Agreed. A true car enthusiast appreciates many different cars and powertrain options. I love my M3P but it can't deliver the same kind of driving enjoyment that a Miata can. And the Miata can't deliver the same kind of raw visceral experience the way a Camaro ZL1 can. In a way it is sad that many will never experience the joy of rowing your own gears in a V8 based muscle car. 2 days to the C8 Corvette reveal, gotta love it.

Agreed. A true car enthusiast appreciates many different cars and powertrain options. I love my M3P but it can't deliver the same kind of driving enjoyment that a Miata can. And the Miata can't deliver the same kind of raw visceral experience the way a Camaro ZL1 can. In a way it is sad that many will never experience the joy of rowing your own gears in a V8 based muscle car. 2 days to the C8 Corvette reveal, gotta love it.
Corvette C8 should be a good affordable replacement of Ferrari 458/488. Buy a C8 so our super car dream can be partially fulfilled.

Reactions: raptor5244