Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get people so street race you...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how can I get people to street race me in the Tesla? In a normal car you could rev up the engine at a stoplight. But in the Tesla that obviously isn't an option. Combined with the fact that anyone who knows a lot about cars won't stoplight race against the Tesla because they know they will lose... Any ideas?
Play some engine noise over the speakers?
Hand signals?
Roll down the windows and ask nicely?
Also before anyone gets angry I am talking about doing this in a different country to the USA so it's perfectly legal here. Obviously I don't want to condone anything illegal...

You need a drift charm - standard equipment for all wannabe street racers :cool:

Urban Dictionary: drift charm

Last edited:
Today I pulled up at a light next to a sleak Beemer 380i. The prosperous young Black gentleman driving had his right passenger window down, so I lowered mine and asked: "Is that a very fast car?" When he said yes, I smiled and said "so show me." When the light turned green I burst so far ahead that I slowed down and at the next light said: "You weren't really ready back there, where you? He shrugged his shoulders and said: That's electric, right?"

380i? im not familiar with that model...I am fairly well versed in BMWs but maybe that one is one I dont know? im thinking you mean the 330i but I dont know... Also, Not sure exactly why the race of the person you "raced" matters...

Probably a good idea to keep race out of these matters, given that its irrelevant to most posts here, and one never knows who the audience is that they are speaking to.

He’s probably thinking 330 which is a slooow car. A Base model 3 could smoke it.

I was fairly certain that he likely ment "330" but im not him so I dont know for sure. The 330 is a turbo 4 cylinder (at least the new 330 is, BMW re used the name plate as there is an old 330 as well). I would not characterize it as "slow" but comparing ANY ICE car to any tesla off the line slants toward the tesla, in its particular price category.

I believe the specs on it are 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and its likely that to get that time one would have to "launch" it, while in a tesla one would just press the pedal. A SR+ shows on tesla's website as 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, and that power is likely more accessible.

Teslas tend to skew "whats fast" from a 0-60 point of view.

You need to spot someone who is already weaving and driving aggressively. I've found most guys in expensive sports/ sporty cars that are weaving through traffic and tailgating will race if you are both stopped in front of traffic at a red light. I only know from my travels overseas :rolleyes:

Today I pulled up at a light next to a sleak Beemer 380i. The prosperous young Black gentleman driving had his right passenger window down, so I lowered mine and asked: "Is that a very fast car?" When he said yes, I smiled and said "so show me." When the light turned green I burst so far ahead that I slowed down and at the next light said: "You weren't really ready back there, where you? He shrugged his shoulders and said: That's electric, right?"
Ok I’ll bite. What the heck is a BMW 380i? Been a Bimmer owner for over two decades through 5 different models and I have never heard of a 380. Is it 40 more than a 340?

Sometimes it just happens ... I was out testing AutoPilot in my new P3 with my wife this evening. We were at a stoplight turning left into the entrance ramp to GA 400. There are two left turn lanes into the entrance ramp. A guy on a Harley pulls up next to us in the right-hand turn lane, making a bunch of noise, etc. The guy hammers it on green like he's going to pull in front of us when his lane merges into mine to enter the highway itself. Not gonna happen!

Unlike an ICE with 100 times more moving parts, our silent, powerful motors get us going so much faster at the light that we're leaving the 'honorable competition' behind without coming close to stressing the car or batteries:
  • ~8.0 second - 0-60 mph in 'chill' mode
  • ~5.5 second - 0-60 mph in standard mode
We don't have to shock them as much as to leave them behind. Sure, they'll eventually catch up a mile or so later but who cares? We're in the lane we want; at the speed we want, and; we've tempted them to greatly exceed the speed limit for the next speed trap.

Bob Wilson

These were my times

P3D-

Sport Mode
0-30: 1.64
0-60: 3.53

Chill Mode
0-30: 3.4
0-60: 7.6

Chill Mode acceleration takes a big hit even at slow speeds. Only do this if you want to lose to practically everybody. They will pass you by before even completing the intersection.

As to how to appear race ready at each light? You need to think like a ricer racer. Mod the outside so that they know you are serious. I just had my 3 wrapped with chrome delete, CF spoiler and tint. That was enough to convey the "hey look at me, I look like a poser that pretends they are fast by compensating by 'looking' fast". Let me tell you, I reeled in EVERY z, g35, honda, caddy, beamer, benz, camaro, charger, challenger, mustang, etc. that had any inkling of wanting to go at it. They saw those mods like a bull sees red. The best were those with a chick riding shotgun. You know they wanted to impress and were probably getting egged on. Every time the light went green I was like, "Sooorrrryyyy" follow by maniacal laughing, lol.

Ok I’ll bite. What the heck is a BMW 380i? Been a Bimmer owner for over two decades through 5 different models and I have never heard of a 380. Is it 40 more than a 340?
I never before saw a 380i either, so I took a triple-take at the model badge to makre sure. Now if I google "BMW 380i" I see a lot of what are supposed to be pictures of that model and several ads for sales of used 380i's. I cannot find a reference to it on BMW's website, and most of the ads for sale of that model are from South America and Europe, so I am wondering if it was a model intended for export only.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I never before saw a 380i either, so I took a triple-take at the model badge to makre sure. Now if I google "BMW 380i" I see a lot of what are supposed to be pictures of that model and several ads for sales of used 380i's. I cannot find a reference to it on BMW's website, and most of the ads for sale of that model are from South America and Europe, so I am wondering if it was a model intended for export only.
Hardly. The last two numbers in BMW’s model names refer to the engine displacement size. While that may come up in search results, no actual car with that designation appears, so it’s just Google presenting similar results. It was a funny slip up. No need to double down on it.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life