Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are "literally" 3 (three) replies that indicate that they use their phones. Not one of them suggests that it should be an option that you should use, they just say they use them. That's a really small subset of the "entirety of the forum", and not really enough responses to get upset about. Easily ignorable. If you really want to see arrogant suggestions to just use your phone, try posting this on facebook in one of the model 3 groups - the ignorati are alive and well there, in great numbers.

Most people don't read all the posts and think they're being useful. If the post is long, they esp. won't read it.

It takes work to reply to a thread. Why don't you give them the benefit of the doubt and don't bite the hand that feeds you?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
i literally said the entirety of the forum every time this question is asked, but sure.

also, saying "if you're bothered don't follow" sounds a hell of a lot like not wanting anyone to have any other options, considering you're telling someone who has done it to not bother showing anyone else how to do it. just my 2 cents.
Come on crackers. I want everyone to have any and all options. I was only offering my experience as a suggestion.

I definitely space out if you guys write essays. I know everyone wants to come off as a Rhodes Scholar combined with Edison/Tesla electrical knowledge, but can you all please keep it short?
The master threads have hundreds of posts, and some of the messages are several paragraphs long.
Give me short questions and short answers in fresh threads any day. Yup, I'm biting the hand that feeds me. I am risking the wrath of TMC.com ;)

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
For example, if someone asks the ideal range to keep our batteries charged, can you rattle off the answer in less than 35 paragraphs? Yes, WE KNOW what the manual says, but real world experience is good to know too.
Before the answer is given we have to read the stock insult about how this is covered in the manual and several threads. That usually lasts a few paragraphs.
Then after complaining about the question we get a history of the automobile battery going back to when Henry Ford competed with them with an ICE engine combined with comparing them to our cell phones, electric forklifts, and computers/laptops.
Forum Nazis will always chime in despite the threats not to though because you guys can't help yourselves when wanting to look like the smartest guy in the room.

For example, if someone asks the ideal range to keep our batteries charged, can you rattle off the answer in less than 35 paragraphs? Yes, WE KNOW what the manual says, but real world experience is good to know too.
Before the answer is given we have to read the stock insult about how this is covered in the manual and several threads. That usually lasts a few paragraphs.
Then after complaining about the question we get a history of the automobile battery going back to when Henry Ford competed with them with an ICE engine combined with comparing them to our cell phones, electric forklifts, and computers/laptops.
Forum Nazis will always chime in despite the threats not to though because you guys can't help yourselves when wanting to look like the smartest guy in the room.
Thus invoking Godwin's Law.

• Funny
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Is there a better way to do it? I feel like I must be missing something.

I’ve done the app thing. Didn’t like it. Did the Echo Auto. Better, but don’t love it.

Just ordered an XM radio and the new Bluetooth dock. Going to try an install when I’m home and see how that goes. Let you know.

For example, if someone asks the ideal range to keep our batteries charged, can you rattle off the answer in less than 35 paragraphs?

90%. Plug it in when you’re at home. Set it and forget it - don’t waste brain cells overthinking it.

Finally got the XM radio with Bluetooth dock installed tonight. Working great!

By far, the “hardest” part (which wasn’t hard) was running the antenna cable from the rear of the vehicle to the front. I mounted the antenna on top of the center LATCH cover on the rear shelf. Ran the wire along the trim on the passenger side of the vehicle, under the plastic sill cover, all the way from the rear of the vehicle to the front. Then, removed the 4 clips holding the panel under the glovebox, and tucked the wire up above that. Came out alongside the phone charger and - all set.

I already have a USB 12V Charger in the area under the phone charger, so plugged the XM radio power cable (link below) into that.

Mounted the radio on a Pro Clip USA mount bracket - sturdy, solid, holds great.

The Bluetooth dock connects to the car as if it were a phone. The one downside is this means that either the phone or XM is available over Bluetooth in Model 3; not both. Some cars can handle multiple BT connections - Tesla so far isn’t one. My other complaint is the little blue light on the BT dock - it flashes once in a while. A small piece of electrical tape solved that.

Steering wheel volume control works fine - the forward-back buttons however do nothing. I have to use buttons on the XM radio to change stations.

But so far, it works great. No cutouts, no issues - audio works fine, music’s playing; I’m one happy camper!

When calling Sirius, don’t pay any more than $99/yr (plus taxes) for the All-Access plan. That’s what I got, and you can too - just for asking. They also are sending me a free Amazon Echo Dot ...

Good stuff! Nice to have my XM back again, without using the lousy phone app.

Parts used:

Onyx Plus radio w/ vehicle kit. Includes $10 Amazon gift card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I59XQKO/

USB 5V power cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TYLKY6/

XM Bluetooth dock: Shop SiriusXM - Save more with exclusive offers on radios for your home and car.

ProClip USA - Tesla Model 3 Mount: Tesla Model 3 Console Mount

ProClip USA - Satellite Radio Holder: SiriusXM OnyX Plus Car Satellite Radio Holders | ProClip USA

Please pardon the salt mess on the mats; car will be getting cleaned tomorrow, but everything’s been an icy mess here in the Northeast.

1E070567-9830-4821-AD1B-0D37B2481BCE.jpeg

Steering wheel volume control works fine - the forward-back buttons however do nothing. I have to use buttons on the XM radio to change stations.

damnit. i was really hoping that would work...that would have been the one thing that would make me switch over from the FM dock to the bluetooth one. without that ability, it's not worth it to me...the FM dock works well enough and allows for phone use just as easily.

how long does it take to switch back and forth if you decide you want to use your phone? i wonder if you could somehow connect to the phone via BT and then the phone to the car, similar to how the echo auto works...

damnit. i was really hoping that would work...that would have been the one thing that would make me switch over from the FM dock to the bluetooth one. without that ability, it's not worth it to me...the FM dock works well enough and allows for phone use just as easily.

how long does it take to switch back and forth if you decide you want to use your phone? i wonder if you could somehow connect to the phone via BT and then the phone to the car, similar to how the echo auto works...

couple seconds at most to switch back to the phone; it’s fairly fast.

that said, I’m kinda surprised Tesla’s BT stack doesn’t do multiple connections. Our Buick (when it’s not in pieces) handles that just fine.

I haven’t looked into doing an audio pass thru like Echo Auto, but I suppose with the right software that’d be possible?

There’s a separate email for Bluetooth dock support @SXM; I sent them a message last night asking about forward/back support. Let’s see what they say.

I wanted to avoid the FM transmitter because bands here in NJ/NY are pretty crowded. I’ve never had great luck with them. The BT dock works great in that regard.

I wanted to avoid the FM transmitter because bands here in NJ/NY are pretty crowded. I’ve never had great luck with them. The BT dock works great in that regard.

the FM direct adapter fixes that problem. i'm in so cal between LA and SD, and have had no issues with the FM direct adapter.

does it show the current channel / song on the screen via bluetooth?

So, I sent some feedback to XM about the forward-back buttons, and heard back almost immediately with a solid technical explanation. Simply, the pin out on the radio’s dock connector doesn’t support that functionality. It’s very limited, and since the BT dock has to work with all those old radios, they weren’t able to add that feature.

That’s the bad news.

The good news is that they’re going to be releasing radios with BT built in which will solve that problem once and for all. Sounds like some great stuff in the pipeline, so stay tuned!

The good news is that they’re going to be releasing radios with BT built in which will solve that problem once and for all. Sounds like some great stuff in the pipeline, so stay tuned!

what i'd like to see them do is put out a dock that connects to your phone and outputs over bluetooth that way, similar to how echo auto works. that would solve the issue of only being able to connect one device, would allow you to just connect your phone and have the satellite dock output that way.

perhaps mention that idea to them and see if that's one of the things that is in the pipeline, or alternatively propose it as an idea if they hadn't already thought of it?