Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know they actually released those! I remember them being listed but never actually in stock. You are the first person ive ever heard of having one. How did you manage to get it?

Wish I had some magic trick ... but I just placed an order on their website.

looks like it’s out of stock again, but I’m sure it’ll come back at some point.

The downside is that the dock doesn’t let you change stations or FF/rew via the steering wheel. I talked to the engineers and they said the problem is the dock connector; it doesn’t expose those functions. The good side is that they’re planning radios that will have Bluetooth built in, and those will enable those functions.

Wish I had some magic trick ... but I just placed an order on their website.

looks like it’s out of stock again, but I’m sure it’ll come back at some point.

The downside is that the dock doesn’t let you change stations or FF/rew via the steering wheel. I talked to the engineers and they said the problem is the dock connector; it doesn’t expose those functions. The good side is that they’re planning radios that will have Bluetooth built in, and those will enable those functions.

it's still available at other outlets, just not directly from siriusXM.

what i'd like to see them do is put out a dock that connects to your phone and outputs over bluetooth that way, similar to how echo auto works. that would solve the issue of only being able to connect one device, would allow you to just connect your phone and have the satellite dock output that way.
Is it really worth it to use an actual sat radio vs using the Sirius XM app on a phone? I suppose its for folks that get better sat signal than cell signal...

Is it really worth it to use an actual sat radio vs using the Sirius XM app on a phone? I suppose its for folks that get better sat signal than cell signal...

Yes it is.

Doesn't tie up your phone, don't need to mess with your phone at all, doesn't use data, signal everywhere. Why do people always try to talk down on stuff like this? People want certain things for their reasons.

not trying to "talk down" or anything like that... trying to make the decision myself. I currently have Sirius on my BMW, but since the Tesla doesn't have a sat radio, i've been living with Sirius online.
I don't have to worry about the "interface" since I have Alex/Echo Auto. So I just tell Alexa what station I want. The cell data usage isn't much so it hasn't impacted my data plan (I don't have unlimited data).

Still I wonder about the benefits of getting a real sat radio... i suspect a problem would be the lack of multiple BT/inputs on the Tesla as I would want my phone to remain a BT input. I guess there is the ol' FM modulated input method....

Still I wonder about the benefits of getting a real sat radio... i suspect a problem would be the lack of multiple BT/inputs on the Tesla as I would want my phone to remain a BT input. I guess there is the ol' FM modulated input method....

FM modulation works, i've been using it for over a year now...the only catch/downside is that the FM radio in the car sucks.

i have mobile support coming next week to try to figure out what's wrong with mine, as i've been periodically experiencing the issue others have seen here where the radio stops working (there are few different symptoms, but the TLDR is that streaming works but the FM radio just won't load anything).

all of that being said, it does work (when the FM radio works). you can get the antenna adapters on amazon and connect the FM direct adapter to the radio unit, and then disconnect the antenna amp so that the satellite radio can override any FM frequency.

there are two downsides to the FM approach that i've seen in over a year of using it (plus the aforementioned bit about how much the actual radio in the car sucks)...

1) you either have to leave the antenna amplifier disconnected (which leads to a bit of a hit on regular FM reception) or deal with not being able to override very strong signals if you leave it connected. it will still work with the amp connected, but there are some very strong signals you won't be able to override. without the amp connected, i was able to override all signals in the area, with the exception of a strong HD signal (which leads to #2)...

2) you cannot override a strong HD radio signal even with the amp disconnected. if there's a strong HD signal in the area on the frequency you pick, you have to tap the HD icon on the screen to turn HD off - and even then, there will be static. best to pick a somewhat clear frequency, if possible.

Last edited:
not trying to "talk down" or anything like that... trying to make the decision myself. I currently have Sirius on my BMW, but since the Tesla doesn't have a sat radio, ...
I'm going to guess that you are talking about the Tesla Model 3 since the Model X has an XM radio in it and I think the Model S does as well.
If you feel that strongly about XM radio, sell your Model 3 and buy the Model S...

• Disagree
Reactions: crackers8199
I'm going to guess that you are talking about the Tesla Model 3 since the Model X has an XM radio in it and I think the Model S does as well.
If you feel that strongly about XM radio, sell your Model 3 and buy the Model S...

you realize you're in the model 3 forum, right?

also, sell your car and buy one that's double the price just to get satellite radio (vs just putting a portable satellite radio in the model 3)? are you serious?

Reactions: ArtK
The actual Sirius XM mobile app is terrible for dropping out and responding slowly. It's almost unusable, even when you stream it over bluetooth. You can't change channels without taking your eyes off the road, and even then it's pretty clunky. I ended up cancelling my subscription because I just got tired of dealing with it. I like the content but the App is just no good.

Wait until Tesla gets a native Sirius XM app (if ever) through the 4G connection.

The actual Sirius XM mobile app is terrible for dropping out and responding slowly. It's almost unusable, even when you stream it over bluetooth. You can't change channels without taking your eyes off the road, and even then it's pretty clunky. I ended up cancelling my subscription because I just got tired of dealing with it. I like the content but the App is just no good.

Wait until Tesla gets a native Sirius XM app (if ever) through the 4G connection.
That hasn’t been my experience at all.

Reactions: toolman335
I find the App works fine. While the push button controls are limited, you do have some control.

That isn't my experience at all either.
Plus the App stays with you on your phone. On Wifi it's flawless. I have the entry level subscription for $7.99. That's a pretty darn good deal. I used to pay to have it both in my car and on the App but I was able to downgrade when I got the Tesla.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Doing what wrong?
When I arrive at the gym I can pause the Sirius program that I was listening to via the Tesla touchscreen, take my device inside, and pop on headphones and resume it. That device is a crazy little thing that acts both as a key to my car AND......my phone:D
For $7.99/month and zero money invested I am pretty darn happy.

6 for $30 Select Offer - SiriusXM Radio

$30 for 6 months.

Then threaten to cancel every 5.9 months and they keep giving you that price.