Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify buying the new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my original roadster was around half the price of what they're asking for the new one. My decision to buy that car (sight-unseen from a preproduction startup company) was based around the premise of (1) it looked like a lot of fun, (2) the technology appealed to my nerdy side, (3) fewer maintenance headaches, and (4) I could drive it every day. Driving it every day was really important to me; I didn't want a weekend car or a collectors car or a car that required a transmission rebuild every 5k miles. I wanted a daily driver "supercar" and the only real alternative was a Porsche.

I'm still on the fence regarding the new roadster, but if I decide to go there it will be to replace my daily-driver roadster. The rationalization: I need to drive, and may as well enjoy the time while I'm on the road.

dan.

Reactions: mongo
Do they have such a thing as a "Companion Car"? Maybe you could write it off as a medical expense then.:D

That's funny, possibly true. I think there are many ways to write off your tesla.
1. Make it a business. A business which provides you with a company car in lieu of salary.
2. Title your tesla in the name of a nonprofit educational foundation, which you can set up for about $100. Reserve an option to buy it back for $1.
3. Or, start a church, title your tesla in the name of the church. We've been accused of being a cult, so just go with it.
depending where you live, that might affect what you pay for title and plates. don't screw up your tax credit. use a lawyer or accountant from your state to sort out the details.

For me it was fairly simple. Sitting in a cafe, my wife was telling me that she wanted her next car to be something sporty. (She drives a Lexus SUV at the moment)
I pulled out my phone, loaded a picture of the Roadster and asked, "Like this?"
She said, "Yes, like that"
So I reserved it for her.

Buy a Roadster for your wife. Because you want to do everything for her, including driving her car...