Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make my car the primary one on my app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two Model 3 vehicles. My husband got his vehicle first and I was set up as another driver and have the app. Then I got my car a few months later. My app on my phone always displays my husband’s car first in the app and I have to swipe to see mine. ANNOYING! How do I make MY car the one that displays first on my phone? Help! I can’t find any solutions to this anywhere.

The app defaults to the last thing that was open (at least on iOS it does) so if you swipe to your app and dont swipe away the app (which isnt necessary) the next time you open it, it should be on the car it was on before.

At least, thats the way it works for me, with a model 3 and my wifes model Y and our Tesla solar+ powerwalls. I normally keep the app on the powerwall screen so I am not interacting with the cars unless I want to, but if I select my model 3, the next time I open the tesla app its on the model 3.

It's possible the car name determines the order, so try changing the name of your car and see if it moves. I have two cars on my account, and the car I got last shows up first, which is different from what you're seeing.

If you don't drive your husband's car anymore, he could remove you as a driver and you would only see your car. My wife doesn't drive my car, so her app only shows her car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
It's possible the car name determines the order, so try changing the name of your car and see if it moves. I have two cars on my account, and the car I got last shows up first, which is different from what you're seeing.
Nice. That rules out the most likely hypothesis and puts forth a second. Alas, if the second works, it'll change the order for both spouses.

If you don't drive your husband's car anymore, he could remove you as a driver and you would only see your car. My wife doesn't drive my car, so her app only shows her car.
Personally, I want my spouse to have access for unexpected situations plus taking turns on road trips (which has an obvious workaround).

Not sure if this is already a known solution (for iPhone) but I found that whichever vehicle you select in the “stack” (widget on iPhone Home Screen) will be the one that is then shown initially on the Tesla app!

Long hold on the stack
select edit “Tesla”
press the blue vehicle name
Choose which car to prioritise from the list

The same vehicle order remains in the app (since you still swipe left to get to the other vehicle), BUT the app always opens at the vehicle you prioritised in the stack.

:D

Attachments

• IMG_9866.png
    IMG_9866.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,580
  • IMG_9867.png
    IMG_9867.png
    820.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9865.png
    IMG_9865.png
    552 KB · Views: 153
Not sure if this is already a known solution (for iPhone) but I found that whichever vehicle you select in the “stack” (widget on iPhone Home Screen) will be the one that is then shown initially on the Tesla app!

Long hold on the stack
select edit “Tesla”
press the blue vehicle name
Choose which car to prioritise from the list

The same vehicle order remains in the app (since you still swipe left to get to the other vehicle), BUT the app always opens at the vehicle you prioritised in the stack.

:D
THANK YOU! This did the trick.

I have a similar problem, but I do actually need to switch the cars, is there a way to do it?

My problem is that the primary car has the buttons to upgrade/buy software, but the secondary can't.
I'm pretty sure this will help me.
So if someone knows how to do this please help.

I have a similar problem, but I do actually need to switch the cars, is there a way to do it?

My problem is that the primary car has the buttons to upgrade/buy software, but the secondary can't.
I'm pretty sure this will help me.
So if someone knows how to do this please help.
I assume you’re not seeing the Upgrades option for the second car because you were added as an additional driver to that car, and your account doesn’t own it. If that’s the case, switching the order won’t make any difference.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I answered in the other thread, and we use the same account email, and the behavior happens on the other phone too.

We have two Model 3 vehicles. My husband got his vehicle first and I was set up as another driver and have the app. Then I got my car a few months later. My app on my phone always displays my husband’s car first in the app and I have to swipe to see mine. ANNOYING! How do I make MY car the one that displays first on my phone? Help! I can’t find any solutions to this anywhere.
The answer to your problem lies in the name of the car. There is no primary car, cars are lined up alphabetically by name. I changed the name of my second car to "American" and it moved to the first position.

I answered in the other thread, and we use the same account email, and the behavior happens on the other phone too.

Solved it call ing Tesla customer care.

Personally, I want my spouse to have access for unexpected situations plus taking turns on road trips (which has an obvious workaround).
Good point. We have four Tesla’s on our App. My wife’s 3, my S and each daughter’s family Y. This makes it easier to share cars or move them in the driveway during visits. We also paired each key card with the other cars for the same reason.

This obviously requires family-wide trust and respect for privacy.

The App stays on whichever vehicle was last selected. My App shuffled the vehicle order after a recent iPhone software update. My 2017 S (Electric Chariot) had been last, now is first. My wife’s 2018 3 (La Belle Dame Sans Essence) had been first and now is last.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer