Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prevent chips on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of what I read here is opinion, as in "I can confirm" with no proof. I'd like to see an actual test, as in shooting quarter inch ball bearings, or hey, five carat diamonds, into the window at X mph at Y angle. Tesla obviously (I can confirm) used soft glass because it was cheaper. Or maybe they figured a chip did not require replacement of an expensive piece of glass, so "softer" glass was more desirable. Or we can just speculate.

Time to get my windshield replaced. One stone on the passenger side, low down, travelled to the drivers side and up and is now heading back to the passenger side.
But where do I get it replaced? Is there a place in Manitoba that is authorized to do it, or do I have to drive to Calgary and get it done there? Does mobile service do it?

Not mobile service. At least in the US.

I think it requires the camera to be attached and calibrated. Unsure of the process. Had ours replaced at Tesla service center.

Had windshield on my 2019 MS replaced at Safelite autoglass. I think mobile service was an option. I just prefered having it done on site so they'd have all tricks and tools available. They didn't do any calibration. Used OEM glass. Car drove as good as new after replacement. Safelite told me rarely there are calibration issues after windshield replacement, and the solution is to take it to a Tesla service center.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus