Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prevent chips on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my P85 for almost 4 years - and the windshield has seemed to pick up many more small nicks than windshields on my previous cars.

Well you probably drive you p85 more than your other car.

I found clearplex. It seems like xpel but for windshield.

I might look into installing that and have a go to prevent the rock chips on the windshield.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Unfortunate there isn't a product you can buy to fill in the small nicks in the windshield (or is there?)...

We're planning to buy a Model S 100D and a Model 3 in the next 12-18 months, and may consider putting something on the windshield to provide better protection.

Or... will Tesla's new glass group come up with stronger glass for the windshields?

Star cracks can be filled and mostly hidden. My P85 windshield has many tiny nicks.

The good news is that the windshield appears to be relatively resistant to star cracks. Instead there are small nicks in many places on the windshield.

Star cracks can be filled and mostly hidden. My P85 windshield has many tiny nicks.

The good news is that the windshield appears to be relatively resistant to star cracks. Instead there are small nicks in many places on the windshield.

It is very similar to the windscreen on my old Mercedes. It gets lots of pits but doesn't crack. Seems to be a bit softer than the glass used on most American cars.

i know this is an old thread... but my car has 200 miles on it, and there are hundreds of small pin-sized chips on the windshield. wtf? I can feel the bigger ones with my fingernail. is this glass really that soft?? never had this kind of issue before on my other cars.

Reactions: KyleDay
I'm in the same boat. My car is 3 months old and is riddled with tiny nicks from small debris while driving. It's not apparent until you clean the glass and look really closely at it. Windshield seems very prone to nicks, unlike any other car I've had.

I'm in the same boat. My car is 3 months old and is riddled with tiny nicks from small debris while driving. It's not apparent until you clean the glass and look really closely at it. Windshield seems very prone to nicks, unlike any other car I've had.

Are you sure you are not seeing the tiny metal oxide particles embedded in the windshield to reflect UV and heat?

Am glad to see that others are noticing the same thing. This is not only in Teslas. The quality of current automobile glas is deplorable. Have had more stary sky nicks in 200 miles than in some of my older cars in a decade.

I can confirm that Tesla's front windshield is especially soft. Also with the AP camera etc. the usual glass replacement folks don't want to touch it. I would also be interested in knowing any solutions to prevent chips and rocks. You'd think that the glass thing they put on top of iPads and iPhones, something like that could be made for a Tesla? Doubt it'd be cheap, but probably cheaper than buying a new windshield every 1-2 years.

Can something like XPEL be put on top of the glass on the outside surface?

I can confirm that Tesla's front windshield is especially soft. Also with the AP camera etc. the usual glass replacement folks don't want to touch it. I would also be interested in knowing any solutions to prevent chips and rocks. You'd think that the glass thing they put on top of iPads and iPhones, something like that could be made for a Tesla? Doubt it'd be cheap, but probably cheaper than buying a new windshield every 1-2 years.

Can something like XPEL be put on top of the glass on the outside surface?

Clearplex is almost exact;y what you are thinking (put on top of iPads and...). I had it put on my S85D two times and it does the same pitting thing over time. Gets almost hazy in the bright sun from the sandblasting of driving. After the second time I said f%3It I'll just get my windshield replaced under my insurance at ~$400 a pop for clearplex.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
When we took our new MS in recently for an Xpel Ultimate custom full body wrap to a shop that's been in the business for a long time and that does a lot of high end sport cars, we asked about whether there was a way to protect the glass too, like using Xpel on it. They said no you don't want to apply it on the glass. They said right now they don't see anything on the market to do something to glass like what Xpel does for the body that meets their standards. Did mention that there was a product in testing that might offer some promise but not out yet. Plus they would test it themselves for a period of time before recommending it to any of their customers. Given their client base, I'm sure if they had something worth applying they would have told us about it. We're on a contact list and until then we sit and hope our MS windshield and roof doesn't get chipped or cracked. Over the years had a few windshield stone repairs done by SafetyLite and also a windshield replacement over the years so was hoping with the new car to avoid any repairs if possible.