Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to register in NH before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the delivery process changed as of late? When we bought our Model 3 in July, I was able to register it before it was delivered but I honestly can't remember how. If I recall we paid ~10 days before it was delivered since they won't schedule it until payment is received.

Reading the NH DMV Registration site, a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin and Lienholder Title Application are required. We signed the loan on Saturday so I have the title application, but not an MSO. Is MSO the same as the photocopy of the title the Tesla sent me (MCO)?

The reason I'm confused is because our delivery advisor has stated the DMV team won't get started on our 'registration' packet until the car is marked as delivered and the check cleared 7+ days. I had plates in hand for the first car so I'm a bit lost. Maybe something was sent to us too soon the first time?

You need the title (used car) or MCO/MSO (new car) and a bill of sale to register at Town/City Hall. If you register at the end of the month, you will pay for the entire month. You can save money by waiting until the 1st.

You can get a 20 day temp plate from the DMV (I don't think towns issue these) with a bill of sale only, but it must be signed. I tried to get a temp plate before my car arrived, but the DMV would not take the PDF bill of sale Tesla sent me, since it wasn't signed.

If you pick up at Mt Kisco, they will give you a NY temp plate. They shouldn't collect any sales tax (unless they mess up).

Yes, MSO = MCO

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin - Wikipedia

Might be an internal process change, but might also be that the team is so busy right now, it will take a long time to get the MCO/MSO.
Thanks! I have the copy that they uploaded that the lender required, I just don't remember printing it out last time. Definitely could have though. Good to know that is what I need.

You need the title (used car) or MCO/MSO (new car) and a bill of sale to register at Town/City Hall. If you register at the end of the month, you will pay for the entire month. You can save money by waiting until the 1st.
Very good to know! I was planning to take the info from this thread and go register today or tomorrow, since my car will be arriving this week. Monday it is!

I'm just transferring plates so I won't be doing temp. The issue is the home delivery can't come directly to my house, I have to meet them on the main road and drive it home, but it's less than a mile so I'll just throw the transfer plates in the dash for the drive.

Reviving this old thread but how long did it take for Tesla to mail the Certificate of Origin?
My temp plates expire end of March…What do I do if the temp plates expire before the Tesla self registration kit arrives?

Also, is it an issue to be driving around with temp plates for a month? Especially in the NH/MA area?

Reviving this old thread but how long did it take for Tesla to mail the Certificate of Origin?
My temp plates expire end of March…What do I do if the temp plates expire before the Tesla self registration kit arrives?

Also, is it an issue to be driving around with temp plates for a month? Especially in the NH/MA area?
In Maine, I drove around with temp tags for a couple of months July-Sept 2020 as Covid had everything delayed. Just have valid proof of insurance and a copy of the paperwork and I can't imagine that you will have too much in the way of issues.

TL,DR - If you aren't driving in your home state, you're probably fine. In you're home state, you need to get a home-state plate (temp or permanent).

I'm not sure if you are a NH or MA resident, but here's my experience in both:

MA - Back when I lived in MA, I was told by the RMV that MA only recognizes out-of-state temp plates when driven by an out-of-state driver. If you have a MA license and are driving in MA, you cannot have out-of-state temp plates on the car - the registration is considered invalid. You must get real MA plates before driving at all.

NH - Setup: I was leaving NH, about to cross over into VT and take 91 south to CT. We had just bought the car from a VT dealer and had driven it home to NH on a VT temp they gave us and hadn't received the prior title by Fedex yet. I missed a speed zone sign and got pulled over by a NH state trooper. He was very nice and let me go with a verbal warning, but said NH doesn't recognize non-NH temps driven by a NH resident; what I should have done was driven the car home, parked it, and gone to the DMV for a 20-day temp (you only need a signed bill of sale, no title/MCO). He said I'd be legally OK on my trip once I left NH, but when I got back Sun night, I needed to park the car until I got a NH plate (temp or permanent) on it.

Reactions: Ritzcarlton123