Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you drive the whole time without an inspection sticker? What is the deal with that? Does NH allow you to drive on temporary plates without an inspection sticker?
Yes, I drove the entire time I had a temporary NJ plate without an inspection sticker. I picked up my MYLR on June 5 and registered it on July 3, so that was nearly a month without an inspection sticker.

In order to get a NH inspection done, I had to have the registration document and NH plates on my MYLR. Since I didn't get those until July 3, there was no way to even get an inspection sticker before that.

You also aren't paying >$1200 in MA excise tax (90% of MSRP *$5/$1000 of value), so you'll probably come out ahead (ie, the Town/City portion based on value is just excise tax by another name, prepaid at registration instead of collected later in the year).

Not really by another name, it's literally called Motor Vehicle Excise Tax. The wording about year is "Year you bought the vehicle" which suggests it really hammers people if they buy new. But maybe it's just dumb wording.

In New Hampshire it's called, I don't know, seriously, I can't find the statute or reference at state level, but towns refer to it as a property tax on the vehicle. MSRP based.
NH: 1.8%, 1.5%, 1.2%, 0.9%, 0.6%, then 0.3%

Lower than Maine:
ME: 2.4% 1.75% 1.35% 1.0% 0.65% then 0.4%

Rhode Island recently removed its excise tax.

Did you drive the whole time without an inspection sticker? What is the deal with that? Does NH allow you to drive on temporary plates without an inspection sticker?
Yes.

On another vehicle I bought from Texas and had shipped to NH, the vehicle came with a 60 day Texas temporary plate. I drove the vehicle for more than a month with the Texas plate and no NH inspection sticker.

Reactions: kayak1
Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering ordering a model y. I live in Nashua and I've gone to the Peabody location for my demo drive and to ask questions. It seems like everyone has different answers about ordering in NH. Does anyone have any recent experience about how the whole process went?
Picking up in Paramus vs home delivery.
Tesla covering for one way rental to pick up?
Mud flaps and PPF that may or may not be included?
Also, anyone near Nashua use any detailer to get a wrap or ppf on the whole vehicle and recommend anywhere?

Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering ordering a model y. I live in Nashua and I've gone to the Peabody location for my demo drive and to ask questions. It seems like everyone has different answers about ordering in NH. Does anyone have any recent experience about how the whole process went?
Picking up in Paramus vs home delivery.
Tesla covering for one way rental to pick up?
Mud flaps and PPF that may or may not be included?
Also, anyone near Nashua use any detailer to get a wrap or ppf on the whole vehicle and recommend anywhere?

I'm in Nashua - see my post history for some more info on my purchase and registration experience. I picked mine up in Paramus in June. Tesla did NOT offer any Uber credits or car rental to get it. A co-worker of my boyfriend who also lives here just picked up a Model 3 from Paramus last week - also no offer from Tesla for any car rental or Uber credits for the pick-up.

I didn't even ask about the home delivery - everything I'd found online said it was $750 and I knew I could get there for less plus I had a college friend on the route back I wanted to visit.

They did NOT install mud flaps or rear panel PPF on my MYLR. I bought my own mud flaps later. I did get a full car PPF done at Cover Up Solution in Salem - I definitely recommend them.

Is there anything in particular that's holding you back from ordering one?

Reactions: kayak1
I'm in Nashua - see my post history for some more info on my purchase and registration experience. I picked mine up in Paramus in June. Tesla did NOT offer any Uber credits or car rental to get it. A co-worker of my boyfriend who also lives here just picked up a Model 3 from Paramus last week - also no offer from Tesla for any car rental or Uber credits for the pick-up.

I didn't even ask about the home delivery - everything I'd found online said it was $750 and I knew I could get there for less plus I had a college friend on the route back I wanted to visit.

They did NOT install mud flaps or rear panel PPF on my MYLR. I bought my own mud flaps later. I did get a full car PPF done at Cover Up Solution in Salem - I definitely recommend them.

Is there anything in particular that's holding you back from ordering one?
Thanks for your input! Yeah it seems to make more sense making the trip even if I have to do it myself to save myself the hassle of the horrific delivery stories I've read here.
Bummer about the mud flaps and rear ppf..
Is yours from the Austin factory or Fremont?

At this point I'm pretty much ready to place the order for the MYLR. I just wanted some consistent answers with the NH experience. I'd have to rely on the Tyngsboro supercharger and some level 2s since I don't have access to my own charging space. A little concerned about the winters and how it'll affect the range since I don't have a garage either. But none of these are a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your input! Yeah it seems to make more sense making the trip even if I have to do it myself to save myself the hassle of the horrific delivery stories I've read here.
Is yours from the Austin factory or Fremont?

At this point I'm pretty much ready to place the order for the MYLR. I just wanted some consistent answers with the NH experience. I'd have to rely on the Tyngsboro supercharger and some level 2s since I don't have access to my own charging space. A little concerned about the winters and how it'll affect the range since I don't have a garage either. But none of these are a deal breaker for me.

I'm not gonna lie - it was a hassle to get to Paramus. I did a combination of commuter rail to Boston, bus to NYC from South Station, and then the NJ commuter rail to get to Paramus, and then an Uber to Tesla. I work remotely and was able to get in a solid half-day of work on the bus, and then took vacation for the rest of the day to get the delivery done. My boyfriend's coworker flew to Newark for his pick-up.

My MYLR was made in Fremont. Matrix lights, HW3 - looks like I just missed the cut-off to get HW4 but I'm okay with it. I love it so far! It's so fun to drive! The handling isn't as precise as my previous car (a BMW) but it's still a hoot and the instant torque is addictive.

If you haven't already, check out the Plugshare app/website - it's super handy to find charging options outside of Tesla's supercharger network. There are some free level 2 chargers in Nashua! I've used a free one at an office park that I found in the app before I got my home charging set up. And lots of car dealerships have chargers and I've seen people report that they can use those easily for free when the dealership is closed. It's easy enough to stop at one and take care of some emails/calls or walk around while you're charging. Or you can find chargers near where you'll be spending time anyway (grocery shopping, restaurants, etc.).

Keep us posted when you order one.

As a NH owner there's no need to purchase these. Post #45
Get your mudflap/PPF request documented. A Tesla sales advisor will ask you to use your phone app to put in a service request right after taking delivery. Although we did drive 50 minutes to Peabody, it only took them an hour to do these jobs. The MYP came out perfect.
There's a good chance some of your questions can be found by scanning the pages in this thread. Good luck with your delivery.

What do you mean documented? Is there somewhere that I can request when I place the order or is it closer to the delivery phase?
When picking up our MYP in Paramus we noted it wasn't equipped with mudflaps and rear ppf. We went inside the building and discussed it with our sales advisor. He'd previously dealt with this issue and advised using the Service screen in our phone app to create a work order for Peabody. When using the app I'd suggest doing this within the first 24 hours of accepting your car. Peabody responded quickly and did a great job the following week. They never questioned our request, all covered under Good Will.

Reactions: WhyElAre
Yes.

On another vehicle I bought from Texas and had shipped to NH, the vehicle came with a 60 day Texas temporary plate. I drove the vehicle for more than a month with the Texas plate and no NH inspection sticker.
Hi, a tangentially related question. Do you have any recommendation for the state inspection in NH (sea coast area, Dover, Durham, Portsmouth). Any things that I should keep in mind? I have read some things about lifting the car, not sure if that is necessary. Would appreciate your advice.

When picking up our MYP in Paramus we noted it wasn't equipped with mudflaps and rear ppf. We went inside the building and discussed it with our sales advisor. He'd previously dealt with this issue and advised using the Service screen in our phone app to create a work order for Peabody. When using the app I'd suggest doing this within the first 24 hours of accepting your car. Peabody responded quickly and did a great job the following week. They never questioned our request, all covered under Good Will.
yep. had ppf and mudflaps put on 'for free' after my '23 Y NH car (delivered from NJ) didn't have them. but remember - nothing is free. mine took two trips to peabody and one mudflap has already gone missing....

Hi, a tangentially related question. Do you have any recommendation for the state inspection in NH (sea coast area, Dover, Durham, Portsmouth). Any things that I should keep in mind? I have read some things about lifting the car, not sure if that is necessary. Would appreciate your advice.
I have all tire service and inspections done at Duncan in Londonderry

I'm not gonna lie - it was a hassle to get to Paramus. I did a combination of commuter rail to Boston, bus to NYC from South Station, and then the NJ commuter rail to get to Paramus, and then an Uber to Tesla. I work remotely and was able to get in a solid half-day of work on the bus, and then took vacation for the rest of the day to get the delivery done. My boyfriend's coworker flew to Newark for his pick-up.

My MYLR was made in Fremont. Matrix lights, HW3 - looks like I just missed the cut-off to get HW4 but I'm okay with it. I love it so far! It's so fun to drive! The handling isn't as precise as my previous car (a BMW) but it's still a hoot and the instant torque is addictive.

If you haven't already, check out the Plugshare app/website - it's super handy to find charging options outside of Tesla's supercharger network. There are some free level 2 chargers in Nashua! I've used a free one at an office park that I found in the app before I got my home charging set up. And lots of car dealerships have chargers and I've seen people report that they can use those easily for free when the dealership is closed. It's easy enough to stop at one and take care of some emails/calls or walk around while you're charging. Or you can find chargers near where you'll be spending time anyway (grocery shopping, restaurants, etc.).

Keep us posted when you order one.
Agree on PlugShare. Been mentioned before on many threads and YouTube but be careful with excessive super charging