Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been 10 days since I picked up my MYLR in Paramus and I've had no issues driving around NH with the NJ temp plate it came with. The temp plate is good through July 5 and I'm going to wait until the end of June to register it in NH.
The NH trooper told me NH residents can't drive on a non-NH temp plate. So a car driving around NH with a NJ temp plate is fine, as long as the driver is not a NH resident. YMMV.

I would wait until July so that I don’t pay for the month of June.
I suppose you could get a NH temp in June and get the real plate in July.

Any chance you have a citation source (other than word of mouth from the trooper) on that 'fun fact'? I've got my new tesla with NJ (out of state buyer) temp plates in my driveway...

the NH DVM is not explicit:

I could see how it could be interpreted both ways.
I reread the RSA and the website and I think it's legal to use the NJ out of state temp plates in NH (despite the trooper's explanation). I also reached out to my telsa advisor and he (alex) asserted the NJ temp plates are legal to use.
We’ve been though TGA’s concerns. One ill advised trooper does not the law make. (Though the same can still cause a bother)

(Edit to add: nothing against tga or the argument to get local plates. I just don’t see how it’s necessary)

To further my interpretation I’ve highlighted a section that seems to imply out of state temp plates are ok … and even the normal thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpeg
    IMG_6416.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Reactions: Mrdrbot23
We’ve been though TGA’s concerns. One ill advised trooper does not the law make. (Though the same can still cause a bother)

(Edit to add: nothing against tga or the argument to get local plates. I just don’t see how it’s necessary)

To further my interpretation I’ve highlighted a section that seems to imply out of state temp plates are ok … and even the normal thing.
Understood. My only point then and now is that I personally wouldn't tempt fate when getting a NH temp plate is easy and straightforward (unless you live a long way from a DMV office). I think in general it's a good practice to avoid attracting attention from law enforcement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: essaunders
Understood. My only point then and now is that I personally wouldn't tempt fate when getting a NH temp plate is easy and straightforward (unless you live a long way from a DMV office). I think in general it's a good practice to avoid attracting attention from law enforcement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm retired, have the means, and have the time.

If I had gotten a ticket, my efforts to get it tossed in court might have educated the officer, so that someone with less money or time to fight it wouldn't have to prepay/plead guilty, because the ticket wouldn't get issued in the first place. If I'm wrong, I don't like attracting attention from LEO, either, but in this case .....

Reactions: kayak1 and tga

I came to the same conclusion upon reading that section. This is what is prompting me to NOT seek out any NH temp plates since my NJ ones should be just fine given what's written there.

I picked up the Y in NJ and this doesn't read like NH expected me to source NH temp plates to go pick it up. And I don't think Tesla would've released it to me without any plates at all and expect me to drive it home plateless.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
One is driving with a valid temporary plate from another state. The period of time that it is valid is detailed on the plate. The temporary plate is not limited to usage in the state that issues it. Register in NH before the temporary plate expires and one will have complied with the law.

Reactions: jlv1 and Mrdrbot23
Appears the use of out state temp plates by NH Tesla owners is a concern in search of a violation. It hasn't happened. How about a discussion of actual Tesla crimes in NH? Maybe those missing front plates? Although, learned years ago, it's best to locate before your annual inspection. ;)

Just a heads up for registering your vehicle in NH, it seems like the DMVs and Tax offices have the MSRP listed WAY too high ($81,000) for at least the Model Ys. So be sure to bring proof of your MSRP, which currently I am not sure what that is because the city wants a signed letter from Tesla with the VIN and MSRP even though I have the Bill of Sale, purchase agreement, and window sticker.

I'm trying to drive awareness about this issue to my local and state reps to get this fixed at the state level, because I am sure it is resulting in many folks being grossly overcharged for registration, and my understanding is that MSRP sticks with the vehicle and each renewal year is referenced so you will constantly be overpaying.

Also there appears to be 2 price registration categories for the model Y, "standard" and "Auto", Auto being if you have autopilot but I believe what they mean is FSD which is obviously a paid add on.

I would encourage you to check the MSRP listed on your registration and fight to get it fixed and drive awareness of this issue. I hope this saves some folks some tax money!

Just a heads up for registering your vehicle in NH, it seems like the DMVs and Tax offices have the MSRP listed WAY too high ($81,000) for at least the Model Ys. So be sure to bring proof of your MSRP, which currently I am not sure what that is because the city wants a signed letter from Tesla with the VIN and MSRP even though I have the Bill of Sale, purchase agreement, and window sticker.

I'm trying to drive awareness about this issue to my local and state reps to get this fixed at the state level, because I am sure it is resulting in many folks being grossly overcharged for registration, and my understanding is that MSRP sticks with the vehicle and each renewal year is referenced so you will constantly be overpaying.

Also there appears to be 2 price registration categories for the model Y, "standard" and "Auto", Auto being if you have autopilot but I believe what they mean is FSD which is obviously a paid add on.

I would encourage you to check the MSRP listed on your registration and fight to get it fixed and drive awareness of this issue. I hope this saves some folks some tax money!
Maine tried to do the same thing to me, but to a less extreme.

They were doing the math based on the earlier April price of $53k+, even though I jumped on it when it was $47K. (MY AWD)

They used the bill of sale numbers for my sales tax, and in my case, the excise tax was a moot point, because I'm a 100% disabled Vet and exempt from that anyway.

It seems Tesla changes prices too fast for states to keep up with.

New Hampshire resident here. Bought brand new from Tesla directly. Shipped from California. Delivered to my house! No problems. No taxes added. All I had to pay was the $2000 delivery fee.
Did you buy from inventory and get it delivered?

I just put down a deposit for M3. I was hoping to make use of the discounts on the inventory but in the last two days none of the new vehicles show up in inventory for NH. Even though there are vehicles available in inventory at NJ and NY, yet they do not show up in the list. As a result, I had to place the order for a custom model. If you were able to get it delivered from inventory in CA to NH, that gives me a good data point to try and convince Tesla to send me a vehicle from inventory in NJ or NY.

I am dreading this because in my tiny NH town the town clerk is boss and there's no arguing with her.

While doing some delivery relayed information gathering before helping with a quarter-end deliver day at the Dedham, MA showroom the other day I did came across this Tesla delivery options page that I hadn't seen before. It explains options for delivery including "Tesla Direct" (Tesla delivers the car to you - presumably via Tesla employees) and "Carrier Direct" via independent carrier. I'm not sure if Tesla is currently doing any "Tesla Direct" in deliveries in the New England area.

Reactions: jlv1
I am dreading this because in my tiny NH town the town clerk is boss and there's no arguing with her.
Bring all of your paperwork with you, particularly window sticker (mine was in the rear sub trunk). I and a few other folks have reached out to several government departments and local reps so I think with enough attention we can get this easily avoidable situation resolved.

I was looking into this today and spoke with someone at Price Digests, the company the State uses for VIN lookup for MSRP. I believe the issue is a result of Tesla's MVPA listing "autopilot" as a feature for all builds and the people looking up the registration just selecting the wrong one. Regardless, the prices don't reflect reality with the MSRP of a MYLR 5 seat "standard" at $65,990. The person looking this up at City Hall or wherever likely sees something like this (which is from the Merrimack website). The MVPA lists "autopilot" and my guess is they select the second option.

1687889626640.png

Look at the paperwork and see this:

1687889717536.png

Here are all the options they could select from manually.

1687889552134.png

I was looking into this today and spoke with someone at Price Digests, the company the State uses for VIN lookup for MSRP. I believe the issue is a result of Tesla's MVPA listing "autopilot" as a feature for all builds and the people looking up the registration just selecting the wrong one. Regardless, the prices don't reflect reality with the MSRP of a MYLR 5 seat "standard" at $65,990. The person looking this up at City Hall or wherever likely sees something like this (which is from the Merrimack website). The MVPA lists "autopilot" and my guess is they select the second option.
Thanks for posting that. I went online and got a 12-month registration cost estimate and the difference between what I paid (based on my Monroney label) and the $65,990 MSRP in the database means that I'll overpay by $279 for 1 year! I've just written an email to the Nashua motor vehicle registration department and copied the Alderman for my ward and Price Digests, the company that provides the database, asking them to address this.

It's too late for anyone to fix anything before my registration appointment on Monday morning but I'll bring all my paperwork and see what I can make happen. Even if I overpay, I hope I can get the help of the Alderman to get this addressed and maybe get a refund when it's finally fixed. I'm happy to provide a copy of the email I sent to anyone who wants it to use as a base to request a correction for their own town if you're also seeing the wrong MSRP in the database.

Thanks for posting that. I went online and got a 12-month registration cost estimate and the difference between what I paid (based on my Monroney label) and the $65,990 MSRP in the database means that I'll overpay by $279 for 1 year! I've just written an email to the Nashua motor vehicle registration department and copied the Alderman for my ward and Price Digests, the company that provides the database, asking them to address this.

It's too late for anyone to fix anything before my registration appointment on Monday morning but I'll bring all my paperwork and see what I can make happen. Even if I overpay, I hope I can get the help of the Alderman to get this addressed and maybe get a refund when it's finally fixed. I'm happy to provide a copy of the email I sent to anyone who wants it to use as a base to request a correction for their own town if you're also seeing the wrong MSRP in the database.
Awesome, keep driving the awareness because the issue is at the state level and I have not had any luck at that level yet. I did get a refund (not being sent until August because that is when their check run is...) by emailing my tax collector directly (ironically pictures of my window sticker and bill of sale, screenshots of the compare page on the Tesla website, etc.) they wouldn't work with me in person but accepted pictures via email...

I had my registration appointment at city hall this morning and had great success avoiding the wrong MSRP in their system!

I wrote an email to the city's vehicle registration department and copied my ward's Alderman on Friday afternoon. With that timing, I was NOT expecting any sort of response before my appointment this morning. But when I got to a clerk at city hall and started explaining about the MSRP problem, she said "I got your email and just sent you a response a few minutes ago" 😳 and went on to explain that it's a problem that they know about and they're accepting Monroney labels as price documentation until it's fixed. Here's the email response she sent me that I didn't get until after the appointment:

We have recently became aware of this situation and have been in contact with the DMV in Concord to see if their system can be updated to reflect the new MSRPs for Tesla. Our registration system is connected to the DMV and when we enter the VIN for each vehicle, it automatically lists the vehicle with the corresponding MSRP. It was stated that their system goes by what is provided by the Red Book for car values and they have not received a file yet in order to update their records. We are hoping they receive the update soon.

When you come in to register, as long as you have the Monroney label with you, we can go by the total vehicle price that is listed on that window sticker and you will NOT be charged that higher price that is listed in Price Digest.

We have been working with other residents who have also just purchased a Tesla to make sure they are getting charged the correct price.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm in Nashua and omitted her name but if anyone else in Nashua wants to be able to refer to this and needs more details, PM me.

Since I transferred my plates from my previous car to the Tesla, I also got a credit towards registration from what I'd already paid a few months ago to register that car, bringing my total today to $637. Next year in my birthday month, I'll pay $934.20 to register my Tesla for a full year. Still more than I'd like but coming from Massachusetts, I'm thrilled to not be paying sales tax on the Tesla and income tax here so I'll take it. This is all based on the total price of $54,380 on my Monroney label (MYLR, black paint, tow hitch, destination/doc fee).

Since I transferred my plates from my previous car to the Tesla, I also got a credit towards registration from what I'd already paid a few months ago to register that car, bringing my total today to $637. Next year in my birthday month, I'll pay $934.20 to register my Tesla for a full year. Still more than I'd like but coming from Massachusetts, I'm thrilled to not be paying sales tax on the Tesla and income tax here so I'll take it. This is all based on the total price of $54,380 on my Monroney label (MYLR, black paint, tow hitch, destination/doc fee).
You also aren't paying >$1200 in MA excise tax (90% of MSRP *$5/$1000 of value), so you'll probably come out ahead (ie, the Town/City portion based on value is just excise tax by another name, prepaid at registration instead of collected later in the year).